Post a reply

Q School 2016

Postby roy142857

Sizeable field this year - http://www.worldsnookerqschool.com/order-of-merit

Nice to see it's attracting a fair number of non-British Isles players, including Adam Stefanow (Poland), Alex Borg (Malta), Alexander Ursenbacher (Switzerland), Andreas Ploner (Austria), Andrei Orzan (Romania), Brian Cini (Malta), Chén Zhé (China), Chén Zĭfán (China), Corey Deuel (USA), Felix Frede (Germany), Hans Blanckaert (Belgium), Hrithik Jain (India), Kevin Van Hove (Belgium), Lucky Vatnani (India)

EDIT - posted too soon! - Lukas Kleckers (Germany), Lǚ Hàotiān (China), Ng On Yee (Hong Kong - former Womens World Champion), Shachar Ruberg (Israel), Tony Drago (Malta), plus Fāng Xióngmàn of China (whose name is the wrong way round on the Q School website)

Also two British-born Hong Kong players, somewhat disguised name-wise on the site - former Pro Andy Lee (shown as 'Chun Wai Lee', should be Andy Lee Chun Wai) and Raymond Fung, who played his snooker as an amateur in Belgium for a while (shown as 'Fung Wai', should be Raymond Fung Kwok Wai)

Re: Q School 2016

Postby SteveJJ

To me, this looks like the strongest q school line up so far. Seems to be the cream of the amateur crop are all there save for some of the Asian amateur players.

Fewer chancers than previous years!

Postby vodkadiet

Bradley Jones has entered. I assume this is the same Bradley Jones who used to practice at West Norwood snooker club with Tony Drago in the late 90s, and who lost 10-9 to John Parrott at The Crucible?

By the way Barry Hawkins, also practiced at West Norwood snooker club.

West Norwood was such a hot bed of snooker..

Postby SteveJJ

vodkadiet wrote:Bradley Jones has entered. I assume this is the same Bradley Jones who used to practice at West Norwood snooker club with Tony Drago in the late 90s, and who lost 10-9 to John Parrott at The Crucible?

I saw Bradley Jones play a pro-am in Aldershot. His dad was convinced my dad was a potential sponsor for some reason and spent the entire frame trying to convince him to invest.

Postby SteveJJ

Has the world snooker website calendar got it right in having both q School events running concurrently rather than one after each other?

Postby PoolBoy

I think the first event is from 14-19 May and the second one is 20-25 May.

Postby vodkadiet

SteveJJ wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Bradley Jones has entered. I assume this is the same Bradley Jones who used to practice at West Norwood snooker club with Tony Drago in the late 90s, and who lost 10-9 to John Parrott at The Crucible?

I saw Bradley Jones play a pro-am in Aldershot. His dad was convinced my dad was a potential sponsor for some reason and spent the entire frame trying to convince him to invest.

I used to watch him play Drago. You could never use their table. They covered it when they weren't playing. I remember his dad telling his son how to go in to the pack. they would spend ages studying different ways of breaking the pack off of the black.

The BBC wanted to film a piece on him before he played Parrott and his father came over and told me and my friend to play good snooker in the background as it was being filmed. I watched it later and we were just a dot in the background!

Postby vodkadiet

SteveJJ wrote:Has the world snooker website calendar got it right in having both q School events running concurrently rather than one after each other?

I believe it is 11-16 May for School 1, and 17-22 May for School 2.

Postby thecueview

Hi folks!

Here's a quick preview of the players involved...

http://www.thecueview.com/2016-q-school ... ayers.html

Interesting to see David Morris has not entered? He was the highest ranked player not to take part (unless he has a route otherwise we know nothing about?).

I also assume IBSF World Amateur Runner-Up Zhao XIntong has been given a card instead of Pankaj Adavni (who has probably declined it), because he is not in the draw.

Postby roy142857

No Michael Leslie that I can see in the line-up - anyone know why?

For Michael Wasley I guess cash the problem - gather he tweeted asking for help the day before entries closed

Postby GJ

Roy

How well do you think Kurt Dunham can do on tour ?

Postby roy142857

Funny, was just about to post an Interview with him as he's arrived back in Tas to play in the Aussie Six Reds Championship, did that prompt your comment GJ?

So he's in as Oceania Champ, lucky for him as I'd doubt him getting through via Q School. I seem to recall some good things about him back in (I think) 2012 IBSF World Under 21s, but it was more that he was a raw talent in need of work. Can't recall him at IBSF level since, maybe just forgotten. Some decent results down your way since of course, but he will have to work with Robertson-like dedication to progress ... hope he does, snooker needs another Aussie doing well, and as can be seen in the article, he'll be practicing with Robertson

Will post the article in a few mins ...

Postby GJ

Cheers Roy

Any idea what Vinnie is playing at didn't enter worlds quallies

Postby Alex0paul

Sense at last

Postby vodkadiet

Is it too late to enter?

Can a QQ School be created for players who want to qualify to play in Q School? There is still time Barry!!

I am flying in practice!

Postby fridge46

Are there an extra 4 spots because WS are 4 spots short for 128 main tour players?

Steve Davis has retired and Hendry doesnt seem bother about playing - so theres 2 spots

I guess the other 2 unused cards are Americas (I cant see anything regarding a Pan-Americas Championship this year), and Africa (African Championship isnt played until August)

Postby roy142857

Been thinking about this and have a worry (yeah I know, typical) ...

Two players who are buddies reach the last round in the second tournament. One of them already has the Order of Merit points needed to get on Tour, one doesn't. So how will that match go?

Less worrying but an interesting thought - one or more matches in the 'final round' in the second tournament may feature players who are both already guaranteed a spot. Will they make them play the match?

Solution (that they ought to have gone with)? Make the top eight on the Order of Merit after the second tournament play off against each other (1 v 8, 2 v 7 etc)

Postby PoolBoy

Don't players normally 'drop out' of the 2nd qualifier if they've already joined the tour through Q1?

Postby TheSaviour

I read earlier from somewhere that the American pool player Corey Deuel is again also participating. That´s just fabulous news!! I am really excited about this again. A year ago he played some mind-blowing snooker out there. I was really dissappointed and gutted he did not qualified. Any snookerfan even with a half-brain would go out of his/her way to handle to Corey the card. Like I wrote a year ago, he is the only real snooker genius I have ever seen. All the current top-players are more like always just running their own stuffs and riots rather than anyone playing any genius stuff.

I have been a bit bored with snooker lately. Nothing away with Mark Selby, though. And what also is not the truth is that I would be too proud or arrogant to post much anything since I got Selby-prediction correct, as I have got a many, many similar ones too. But that´s not nothing like what I actually am. As a person or so. I just felt that Mark was playing and handling it basically flawlessly this year, and I had nothing to say or write about it. I had nothing to add. I have got many predictions wrong also. But I know my stuff.

How Mark handled it was just a one-off. I can´t see him playing that good again. There will be new world champions. Or then the formers will win it again.. Don´t know. Junhui was slightly unlucky had to play against an-song Selby. Junhui is moving the cue ball around a very nicely, indeed. Some really clever positional playing like no other player can play. Anyone can just move the cue ball around, but Ding also do get the position exactly correctly. And he hardly never misses the pot. With his rather mechanical playing he will be hard to stop from now on. Other players will have to take the rather philosophical approaches to deal with it rofl rofl That will be just good for them.

Ronnie played some heaven-like snooker two and a half-years. He won the Masters 2014 and 2016. Many 147s. Was a runner-up to Selby 2014 (World Championships). A year ago he was only stopped by the then brilliant Stuart Bingham as a high-quality tussle. I am glad that I linked some Ronnie´s big breaks into my facebook-timeline. Because those were one-off and a heaven-like. I link everything which is topical and brilliant. No matter who is it about.

Postby SteveJJ

Or the solution would be to go back to 3 q School tournaments to get the 12 qualifiers.

Postby PoolBoy

It would be great to see Reanne Evans qualify, but I doubt it'll happen!
Hopefully, a few International players come through, and it's not just another 12 UK players qualifying.
Lukas Kleckers from Germany for example, and Alexander Ursenbacher is trying to get back on tour - he'd be another I'd favour. A lot of 'former' pros in the field - it's a tough school!

Postby kolompar

I agree with TheSaviour. Give Corey a tour card :D
And of course I would like to see Tony Drago get through.

The illiterate Shane Castle also entered. I guess that's not what people meant when they said he should go back to school :-D

Postby Wildey

PoolBoy wrote:It would be great to see Reanne Evans qualify, but I doubt it'll happen!
Hopefully, a few International players come through, and it's not just another 12 UK players qualifying.
Lukas Kleckers from Germany for example, and Alexander Ursenbacher is trying to get back on tour - he'd be another I'd favour. A lot of 'former' pros in the field - it's a tough school!

I Want the best players on tour if that's 12 Brits then so be it and everyone else back to the drawing board and get better.

nothing worst for snooker than rewarding players through easier routes then they not earned it if you qualify through Q School you have earned it. Journeymen will make youngsters go through the mill to get on tour i think that is very important.

Postby kolompar

Corey wins 4-3 :D
Tried his best to lose from 3-0 up, his opponent needed 5 snookers in the decider and got them but in the end he won somehow.
Ng On Yee won 4-2. Alex Borg is also through, with a break of 130.

Postby aimlesswandeer

I don't know if Live Scoring is accurate as earlier it had Heather Clare playing on at 78 points down with 22 remaining...

I'm hoping for a win for Dylan Craig, probably the best of the young Scots in action. He won seven matches in the final two Euro Tour events last season.

Postby aimlesswandeer

Mixed results for two of the most experienced campaigners with a win for Peter Lines but a surprise defeat for Barry Pinches against Scottish former Tour pro Gary Thomson.