Post a reply

World Snooker Annual Awards 2016

Postby masterdoctorgenius

some of the award winners were laughable.

performance of the year: selby for winning the wc

really?!?! what a joke. did they even follow the wc.

ronnie at the welsh or wilson at the shanghai far more deserving

journalists players of the year: selby

another joke

player of the year: higgins

debatable, robbo or ronnie better option. JH didnt win any major title (okay, for some IC is a major)

and ronnie won the same amount titles by competing in lesser tournaments

Re: World Snooker Annual Awards 2016

Postby SnookerFan

masterdoctorgenius wrote:some of the award winners were laughable.

performance of the year: selby for winning the wc

really?!?! what a joke. did they even follow the wc.

ronnie at the welsh or wilson at the shanghai far more deserving

journalists players of the year: selby

another joke

player of the year: higgins

debatable, robbo or ronnie better option. JH didnt win any major title (okay, for some IC is a major)

and ronnie won the same amount titles by competing in lesser tournaments

Player of the year, Higgins? <doh>

Postby whitespider

In defence of Higgins he did win 2 ranking titles in the season (and some probably throw in his Welsh in 2015 for a bit extra kudos). So that was 3 ranking titles in 6 months which is what people were actually voting on probably rather than the 2 in a season. It was a bit of a comeback as well (at 40) after a couple of years away from the business end of things.

I think the point worth demonstrating though is that no player is dominating at the minute so you can make an argument for several.

I take nothing away from Ronnie and Robbo - have been excellent at times this season (when playing). Robbo though has had a massive dip in form since the Welsh and that has cost him.

Postby SnookerFan

whitespider wrote:In defence of Higgins he did win 2 ranking titles in the season (and some probably throw in his Welsh in 2015 for a bit extra kudos). So that was 3 ranking titles in 6 months which is what people were actually voting on probably rather than the 2 in a season. It was a bit of a comeback as well (at 40) after a couple of years away from the business end of things.

I think the point worth demonstrating though is that no player is dominating at the minute so you can make an argument for several.

I take nothing away from Ronnie and Robbo - have been excellent at times this season (when playing). Robbo though has had a massive dip in form since the Welsh and that has cost him.

Well, I suppose when you think about it, you have a point.

John Higgins. International Champion (major) and one other ranker.
Neil Robertson Uk Championship (major) and CoC Champion.
Ronnie O'Sullivan Masters Champion (major) and Welsh Open.

Depends what you put the most emphasis on, I suppose. Out of those three, Higgins was the only one who won two rankers. However, you could also argue that the International Championship is only a major because Hearn says it is. Or that the UK Championship is less of a major now that the matches have been shortened.

Is Higgins more impressive due to his age and previous loss of form? Is Ronnie's more impressive due to his time off this season, or should he be made redudant as player of the season if he only competed for half of it.

It's all very subjective based on what you count as important, and the fact that none of the three named above was World Champion which may have swayed the decision one way, it's going to come down to opinion more than fact.

Postby SnookerFan

Alex0paul wrote:Performance should have been given to McManus reaching the semis at 45

Another good point.

I fear we may be reading too much into an awards ceremony that is just an excuse for people to have a piss-up in a tuxedo.

Postby Sickpotter

Selby's WC performance, it was fantastic. Such grit shown playing his B game, real testament to his competitive nature and professionalism.

I would've given performance to Barry for his win over Ronnie or McManus for making semis at 45 but I guess only tournament winners can be in line for this award.

Higgins a good POTY choice with his two rankers but certainly there were other solid contenders. My guess is the determining factor is if the events were ranking or not.

One can say Ronnie played less events and still won two but there's nothing to say if he played as many events he would've won more. He certainly could[ have won more but nothing's guaranteed. So....can't really give any weight to same number of wins in less events.

Postby Andy Spark

The whole awards ceremony is a joke in my opinion. It's not that no player is dominating at the moment, it's more that with the awful state snooker is in, no player can dominate. I know Ding Junhui won a few ranking tournaments in one season a few years ago, but they weren't majors and neither was the best player in the world playing in them (Ronnie).

No player can dominate anymore and it's Barry Hearn's fault that it is so.

Postby PoolBoy

Andy Spark wrote:The whole awards ceremony is a joke in my opinion. It's not that no player is dominating at the moment, it's more that with the awful state snooker is in, no player can dominate. I know Ding Junhui won a few ranking tournaments in one season a few years ago, but they weren't majors and neither was the best player in the world playing in them (Ronnie).

Ronnie played in two of the five events Ding won that season.
But, surely it's better that no player dominates the sport?

Postby SteveJJ

Andy Spark wrote:The whole awards ceremony is a joke in my opinion. It's not that no player is dominating at the moment, it's more that with the awful state snooker is in, no player can dominate. I know Ding Junhui won a few ranking tournaments in one season a few years ago, but they weren't majors and neither was the best player in the world playing in them (Ronnie).

Enlighten us on how snooker is in an awful state? If that's the case I must be living in a parallel universe.

Postby Wildey

SteveJJ wrote:

Enlighten us on how snooker is in an awful state? If that's the case I must be living in a parallel universe.

Andy is a joke how does he think Barry Hearn stops people dominating.

lets talk through dominating with him.

you turn up take home a trophy then repeat it until you win 7 or 8 events, last time i looked thanks to hearn there are more events so winning them is mathematically more obtainable than winning 7 events out of 6 that was played in 2009 before Hearn took over.

now andy think before typing crap <ok>