Post a reply

Should the game be relaxed a bit?

Postby snookerlover

Anyone else think that snooker should be a bit more accommodating with the rules with things such as the dress code, allowing a player to wear whatever he/she feels most comfortable in within reason for matches. Also should snooker allow players to smoke, drink alcohol, tea, coffee, juice etc, eat snacks/meals at the table?

Re: Should the game be relaxed a bit?

Postby PLtheRef

They did try to relax the dress code for the ranking events a few years ago with the Masters and the Crucible I seem to remember being the ones where a stricter dress code was applied.

The PTCs have had more relaxed codes.

Postby PoolBoy

Obviously smoking is prohibited nowadays, as it's an enclosed indoor arena. Not sure if you're from the UK, snookerlover, but it's been banned for a good few years in this country - not smoking itself, but smoking in indoor public areas.
But while on the topic, does anybody know which players actually smoke? I have no idea!
I think Stephen Maguire (I've noticed the tell-tale 'yellow fingers'!) - and Ronnie has smoked on-and-off in the past.
There's bound to be more - possibly even a few 'surprises'!
I remember being stunned to learn that Tim Henman smokes - and apparently David Ferrer is a chain smoker!

Postby Holden Chinaski

PoolBoy wrote:Obviously smoking is prohibited nowadays, as it's an enclosed indoor arena. Not sure if you're from the UK, snookerlover, but it's been banned for a good few years in this country - not smoking itself, but smoking in indoor public areas.
But while on the topic, does anybody know which players actually smoke? I have no idea!
I think Stephen Maguire (I've noticed the tell-tale 'yellow fingers'!) - and Ronnie has smoked on-and-off in the past.
I remember being stunned to learn that Tim Henman smokes - and apparently David Ferrer is a chain smoker!

Matthew Stevens and Andrew Higginson smoke as well.

Postby GJ

Holden Chinaski wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:Obviously smoking is prohibited nowadays, as it's an enclosed indoor arena. Not sure if you're from the UK, snookerlover, but it's been banned for a good few years in this country - not smoking itself, but smoking in indoor public areas.

Sam Baird as well

Postby PoolBoy

Holden Chinaski wrote:

I didn't know that!
Holden, are there Laws in Belgium around smoking in public enclosed areas, like pubs, clubs, cinemas, theatres, restaurants etc?

Postby fridge46

snookerlover wrote:Also should snooker allow players to smoke, drink alcohol, tea, coffee, juice etc, eat snacks/meals at the table?

Didnt Ronnie have a mug of Lemsip with him once?

Postby vodkadiet

Selby needs to have a bottle of rum forced down him before each session. Then the match might get interesting.

Postby Holden Chinaski

PoolBoy wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

I didn't know that!
Holden, are there Laws in Belgium around smoking in public enclosed areas, like pubs, clubs, cinemas, theatres, restaurants etc?

Yep, the laws here are the same as in Britain.

I know Matthew and Andrew smoke 'cause I smoked and had a chat with them outside of the snooker venue in Antwerp.

Postby PoolBoy

Holden Chinaski wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

I didn't know that!

Yep, the laws here are the same as in Britain.

I know Matthew and Andrew smoke 'cause I smoked and had a chat with them outside of the snooker venue in Antwerp.

Quality! :bowdown:

Postby vodkadiet

snookerlover wrote:I am from the UK. I meant if the law was ever changed. I don't see why the players can't drink at the table though?

They could have gin or vodka in their water bottles.

Postby Dannyboy

I can't see any reason why World Snooker shouldn't allow players not to wear bow ties and just have a normal collared shirt for minor events.

Postby Sickpotter

PTCs have relaxed dress code and that's plenty IMO.

I think snooker trying to "relax" itself has lost high end sponsors.

Players do drink but eating shouldn't be allowed during a match. Can't think of something worse than to have someone munching away on chicken wings or some other sloppy meal and then put their hands on the table.

Postby GJ

sundaygirl wrote:Neil Robertson sometimes has a banana?! Or have I imagined that.

He does cant see an issue with having some fruit , they do it in tennis and golf.

Postby SnookerFan

snookerlover wrote:Anyone else think that snooker should be a bit more accommodating with the rules with things such as the dress code, allowing a player to wear whatever he/she feels most comfortable in within reason for matches. Also should snooker allow players to smoke, drink alcohol, tea, coffee, juice etc, eat snacks/meals at the table?

I have no problem relaxing the dress code. It's not a fashion show, and I don't really care what they are wearing. Might as well let them wear something comfortable, I guess.

If they want to drink juice I don't see the problem, I guess. I mean, who cares what the players drink? I suspect the water provided is provided by some sponsor or another though. It was some weird Chinese bottled water this year. So, that probably won't change.

The smoking and alcohol thing, I don't particularly want. It's a professional game at the top level, not playing down the pub. Some levels of professionalism should stay, in my opinion.

Postby Wildey

It would be interesting to see how Alex Higgins would deal with no Fag and no Alcohol.

i suspect being him he would give a one finger salute to authority and have a fag and a beer at the table.