Post a reply

HIGGINS speaks out and says other top players threw matches.

Postby Witz78

Alex, not John has alleged match rigging was rife during his days in the game. Now his comments around 20 years ago when he had his spats with the authorities and was banned are making sense. Alex is desperatly in need of money to get some teeth fitted and there was recently a fundrasing campaign launched to raise 20k to pay for this and a direct plea made to players to help out. Maybe some of the alleged players will fork out now before a paper makes Alex an offer he cant refuse to spill the beans. Revelations on the iconic figures of the sport from the golden era would be a further nail in the coffin of the sport IMO.

PS - How bad does Alex look in that pic with the sunken hollow cheeks and frail appearance :sad:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/gone-to-pot-14802848.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/snooker/8670984.stm

Re: HIGGINS speaks out and says other top players threw matc

Postby GrumpyMrDavros

Yeah Higgins appearence nowadays is shocking . He looks more dead than alive . Unrecognisable as the most charismatic player ever :-(

I think it's best if Alex just keeps his mouth shut . Highly unlikely he'll be able to prove anything and he can leave himself open to legal action accusing people of taking bribes

Postby Casey

I think everybody knew anyway that a right few of the matches in the 80’s were dodgy. All those non ranking events, how many of them were for TV….. then players making a bit of money on the side with it

I hope Alex does not name the players, I would say a good proportion of the top boys must have had their hand in.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:I think everybody knew anyway that a right few of the matches in the 80’s were dodgy. All those non ranking events, how many of them were for TV….. then players making a bit of money on the side with it

I hope Alex does not name the players, I would say a good proportion of the top boys must have had their hand in.

to be honest case that is a load of nonsensical crap the majority of tournaments in the 80s was won by Steve Davis his tournament haul was built around invitational events now your telling me they were just as dodgy and the man himself is involved with the investigation in to Higgins.

come on get real.

Alex talks bull and he will talk with anyone that would give him money to do so good luck to him but if it went on back then Steve Davis if anyone would know.

Postby Casey

I didn’t say the tournament winner was fixed and I doubt very much Davis would even have been approached. Too clean cut, however I would easily believe what Alex has said in his interview, it doesn’t surprise me one bit. You could probably guess a few of the names now, however as Witz has said these guys are iconic and snooker as we know it today was built on their legacy.

I hope that Alex does not name names, let sleeping dogs lie and all that.

Postby mantorok

This is all a bit convenient given the timing of it all, bribrary is the hot topic at the moment so you are going to hear all sorts, and let's face it, Alex needs the money so he's bound to be spinning a line here and there.

We're going to hear all sorts over the next few weeks, so get used to it.

Postby GrumpyMrDavros

The way libel laws work it's not just the the person saying it who gets sued - it's also the publication that prints it .Those who are screaming John Higgins was framed might do well to remember this . It's highly unlikely Alex can prove that players in the past took a dive for money so any newspaper - including NOTW - will never print Alex allegations

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:I think everyone would take any claims made by Alex Higgins with a pinch of salt.

thats a bit harsh !!

Higgins alluded to these claims decades ago and if he really wanted to cash in, he would have done so long ago, once his career and earnings went down the pan.

Despite many claiming Higgins is just a bitter old man now, he still loves snooker and i dont think he would ever do anything to damage it any further (if thats possible :john: )