Post a reply

How John Higgins tried to bet on snooker Championship

Postby Wildey

DISGRACED snooker star John Higgins is today exposed for the second time in a week - attempting to bet against HIMSELF during last year's World Championship Final.

The three-times world champ was suspended from the sport last week after the News of the World caught him on camera agreeing to a massive £261,000 bribe to deliberately lose frames in four separate matches.

Now we can reveal how Higgins shamefully tried to cash in on the most important fixture in world snooker at the revered home of the sport - the Crucible in Sheffield.

In a break during the May bank holiday weekend final, Higgins made a secret mobile phone call to bookmakers Ladbrokes to ask for odds on him LOSING to opponent Shaun Murphy at some stage in the match.

Using a password to access his personal account, he then tried to place a substantial wager, telling the operator: "I just want to cover myself."

Amazingly the 34-year-old Scot - guaranteed £125,000 prize money even if he lost - added: "I don't want to walk away without anything."

But Higgins' outrageous attempt to bag an extra payout was thwarted when Ladbrokes' call centre betting clerk sought advice from her manager and rejected the bet.

MORE HERE http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/80 ... nship.html

jesus i dont know what to make of this......it sounds from this piece he is money driven and obsessed with money.

the bet was not taken or said to be taken and even was it John or just the ladbrooks worker wanting to make money from it whos to say shes telling the truth and only out for a quick quid herself.

Re: How John Higgins tried to bet on snooker Championship

Postby Bourne

Murphy lost 18-9 to a guy who tried to bet on himself to lose <laugh> If this isn't so sad, it would be funny but ... if this is true, then it's a dire situation for a player to be doing this in the biggest match one can play in their careers. I reserve judgement for now though.

Postby Bourne

Our source said: "He wanted to place a bet on Murphy winning. He wanted to bet AGAINST himself. I can't remember if it was for him to lose the next frame, the next session or the whole match."

Hmm ... that's not exactly a stone-wall anecdote is it.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Our source said: "He wanted to place a bet on Murphy winning. He wanted to bet AGAINST himself. I can't remember if it was for him to lose the next frame, the next session or the whole match."

Hmm ... that's not exactly a stone-wall anecdote is it.

no its not and far from it but how can a newspaper do this if it never happened so i got to think it did happen sort of and why have they got it in for john..

ive got people on TSF saying betting against yourself is acceptable as insurance :? :? :? :? :?

sorry but thats not on and having people think it is ok makes me sick to the stomach.

Postby Bourne

It's certainly immoral, but i'm just wondering why this story is only coming out now, over 12 months later ... IF, this story is true, then i'd expect it to be front page news the next day, why hold it back ?

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:It's certainly immoral, but i'm just wondering why this story is only coming out now, over 12 months later ... IF, this story is true, then i'd expect it to be front page news the next day, why hold it back ?

thats the question but i can not get my head round the fact people think its the done thing and theres no talk of trying to say john didnt do it its more of so what if he did........and im thinking id love to puke my guts over your head.

Postby Bourne

Well we have one (gutter press) newspaper with allegations, and we have one player saying: "I know I am 100 per cent innocent. So there's no doubt in my mind that the goal is to be back playing snooker next year."

At the moment, with no solid reasoning to believe either just yet, i'm sticking with 'wait and see', I don't want to write John off yet until (if) he's been proven once and for all.

Postby gallantrabbit

This sort of cr@p makes my blood boil. I think this story helps the Higgins cause in that it looks more and more like a pathetic witch hunt. As soon as I saw last week that there`d be `more revelations`I knew that they`d be less than weak, otherwise they`d have published the lot last week or at least leaked them to sister rag `the Sun`during the week.
If this is true, which I actually doubt, Higgins was doing what many used to do with the high break ìnsurance`, ie hedge it once they`d got over 140. Ok it`s a bit much if the geezer is on 125k to lose but it`s not the end of the world. The main point here is that he wanted to bet a grand. Even if he were at 17-9 when he made the call he`d have got 1-50 probably. And he wasn`t at 17-9 so he possibly got 1-20. All a fuss about bleeding nothing and a witch hunt on our game.
Hope even more that HIggins can clear his name and stick two fingers up at this trash. Scumbags that are critics for a living and have never done anything half useful in their lives.

Postby GrumpyMrDavros

Hmmm . It could be that the person in question contacted the News Of The World a year ago , raised questions and this led to NOTW setting up the sting operation with Higgins and Mooney . It should be remembred even a down market scandal tabloid like NOTW has to guard its back when making allegations

Perhaps this article answers why Dotty was in such a hurry to dump Mooney ?

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/80 ... &ATTR=News

The fact that more and more players are deserting Mooney instead of backing him might tell us something ?

Postby Wildey

Templeton Peck wrote:It's absolutely no different to someone who had a bet on Higgins at the start to win it covering their winnings with a second bet on Murphy. That's all Higgins tried to do. Should have bought a laptop and placed the bet online though and then it wouldn't have been blocked.

no its not like that holy rubbish.

if i put a bet on murphy and a bet on higgins it was out of my control what happens.

if a player bets on the opersition the control of losing is with the player. totally different and it makes me puke peoople cant see how corrupt this rubbish is. IF ITS TRUE.

but if its not true with the money john has then the NOTW is screwed in court.

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul WC wrote:What about Joe Swail betting on someone to beat his highest break in 2000 then? The same sort of insurance?

again thats out of swails hands if someone beats his high break.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:im not a Higgins fan, nor do i condone his actions from last week - infact ban him for life i say!!! - but as far as the latest allegations go, then sensibly who can blame Higgins for covering himself, especially when well ahead.

you know what else this story could be used for against John when talking about match fixing for cash how money oriantated he is he would do "anything for cash"

Postby Witz78

Higgins is 6 frames ahead of Murphy overnight at 11-5 and on course to win the world title and 250k.

He wouldnt expect to lose from this position but as an insurance policy he checks and sees that Murphys odds are now around 10/1 to win the final. So the simple thing to do is stick 11k on Murphy to win the final as a cover bet then if the unthinkable does happen which you wouldnt want and you lose at least you have the consolation of getting 120k back from the bookies to make up for the money you lose by blowing the final. Plus with this insurance on, the player could actually relax to an extent and play more freely.

This type of cover betting / insurance policy betting will be rife within snooker id be certain to say. Its slightly less immoral than match fixing as the players are still playing to win but have the safety net should the worst happen.

Postby Wildey

Templeton Peck wrote:It's only immoral if you plan to throw the match. The odds you have bet on still reflect the odds of you winning/losing unlike in match fixing.

<doh>

absalutly mindblowing if you bet against yourself as insurance policy sorry but thats matchfixing in everything but name and im all for banning any player thats done this.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Templeton Peck wrote:It's only immoral if you plan to throw the match. The odds you have bet on still reflect the odds of you winning/losing unlike in match fixing.

<doh>

absalutly mindblowing if you bet against yourself as insurance policy sorry but thats matchfixing in everything but name and im all for banning any player thats done this.

i dont think it is match fixing, as the player is still playing to win the match ultimately !!!

Its a bit like chatting up a fit young blonde in a nightclub when you have a slappers number in your phone, ultimately you want to pull the fit young blonde, but at least you have insurance of being able to text the slapper at the end of the night if you dont pull the blonde :john:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

<doh>

i dont think it is match fixing, as the player is still playing to win the match ultimately !!!

Its a bit like chatting up a fit young blonde in a nightclub when you have a slappers number in your phone, ultimately you want to pull the fit young blonde, but at least you have insurance of being able to text the slapper at the end of the night if you dont pull the blonde :john:

you cant have a top player do this and get away with it .

he was on a win of £125,000 by losing 18-0 in that final and he still wanted more in case he lost bucking hell thats a greedy pig and shows money is whats driving him on.

i could understand a struggling pro in the qualifiers doing it id still want it stopped but its understandable but not in this case.

if hes done it hes screwed mate.

Postby Bourne

The thing that gets me is why on earth, if he's 11-5 up or whatever it was, would he want to cover himself in the first place ? He was cruising, in control, Murphy was below par, there was no way he was going to lose. Why bother ?

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

you cant have a top player do this and get away with it .

he was on a win of £125,000 by losing 18-0 in that final and he still wanted more in case he lost intercoursing hell thats a greedy pig and shows money is whats driving him on.

i could understand a struggling pro in the qualifiers doing it id still want it stopped but its understandable but not in this case.

if hes done it hes intercoursed mate.

he most likely got the bet put on when he was ahead in the match and the odds on Murphy were long so it simply done as insurance to cover the 125k loss he would suffer if he did let slip the winning position and go from 250k winners to 125k runners up prize.

At least once hed the bet on he could relax a bit knowing he was getting a 250k wad of cash whatever happened and he could put money out of his mind and fully focus on the match and the goal of being world champion.

Look at it this way, whats the best option....

OPTION 1

You either win 250k and the World Championship or you lose and get 125k

OR OPTION 2

You win 250k win and the World Championship or you lose and still get 250k

Its a cracking insurance policy.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:The thing that gets me is why on earth, if he's 11-5 up or whatever it was, would he want to cover himself in the first place ? He was cruising, in control, Murphy was below par, there was no way he was going to lose. Why bother ?

in this case ladbrookes didnt take the said bet infact we dont really know if this actually happened but reading between the lines of this story the bottom line is the NOTW want to portray John as someone thats not as honest as he is portrayed to be so it back up their match fixing claim.

Postby Witz78

Bourne wrote:The thing that gets me is why on earth, if he's 11-5 up or whatever it was, would he want to cover himself in the first place ? He was cruising, in control, Murphy was below par, there was no way he was going to lose. Why bother ?

Simply cos at that stage it was a low stake high value return insurance policy should the unthinkable happen and Murphy came back

Postby Bourne

Witz78 wrote:

Simply cos at that stage it was a low stake high value return insurance policy should the unthinkable happen and Murphy came back

But that's the point, unthinkable was an understatement, Murphy just wasn't mentally there and Higgins was winning frames consistently at one visit. :huh2:

Postby Wildey

witz

i understand what you say but its stil wrong having snooker players,footballers,tennis players whoever betting on matches they involved in.

betting becomes a drug then you see ohh i did that lets push it ferther and ferther before long you find yourself in a position you earn more by losing....

heres a thought anyone know if martin gould put on a bet at 11-5 against Robbo ????

Postby Witz78

Bourne wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

But that's the point, unthinkable was an understatement, Murphy just wasn't mentally there and Higgins was winning frames consistently at one visit. :huh2:

why have any type of insurance at all then in all walks of life, like car insurance, home insurance etc. The odds are low on the insurance policy being required but its there just incase, just as Higgins bet was placed just incase...

Postby Casey

Well the persons account is hardly rock solid to begin with. First they don’t know whether it was a frame, session or match he was betting on.

Also they are not sure about the amount, but they think it was around £1000. eh £1k when you are talking about £125k difference between the winner and runner up. NOTW <laugh>

As for the act if it did happen, well its against the rules and he needs punished, however there would have been no way John would have TRIED TO LOSE THE MATCH. So its not match fixing.

I am sure players family members, friends place cover bets all the time. Regardless, it is against the rules so IF and it’s a big IF, he would need reprimanded. Although a ban would be way over the top for placing a cover bet.

This statement Mooney is due to release during the week should be very interesting.

As for players distancing themselves from Pat…well I don’t think that suggests anything about his guilt or innocence. It’s plain common sense to distance yourself from someone accused of such things.

Postby Wildey

players distance themselves from pat because he on tape said he would try and get them to play along for tv perposes so he can get cash in his pockets.