Cue Guru wrote:
hendry_fan wrote:
GJ wrote:Willie says best match ever a lot

said same after robbo v trump quarter

<laugh> <laugh>

Aye,i,ve noticed that too.

COCKWOMBLEGOOFBALL WILLIE. <laugh>

Nice use of the CW phrase there HF. :hatoff:

Yeah,i stole the cockwomble bit from Cue Guru,i kinda like that word. ;-) <laugh>

The goofball word i stole from Phil Hellmuth. :-D

Re: Betfred World Championship (Wed April 27th) Quarter-Fina

Postby TheRocket

In the end it wasn't enough for the one match warrior Hawkins. But he can tell his grandchildren one day that he finally beat ROS after getting beaten for 14 years. It's a little bit similar with Jimmy White when he finally beat Hendry in the 1998 World Champs after getting humiliated for so many years. Unfortunately though for Jimmy, like it is with Barry now that win over the nemesis brought them nothing.

Postby GJ

Snooker Overdrive wrote:This is like 2010 reloaded. With different players of course.

Not really Carter had been in a world final , Robbo in semis year before and dott former champion and Selby was a world beater.

Stronger line up then

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:In the end it wasn't enough for the one match warrior Hawkins. But he can tell his grandchildren one day that he finally beat ROS after getting beaten for 14 years. It's a little bit similar with Jimmy White when he finally beat Hendry in the 1998 World Champs after getting humiliated for so many years. Unfortunately though for Jimmy, like it is with Barry now that win over the nemesis brought them nothing.

Exactly, he can say he beat the great Ronnie O'Sullivan at the Crucible, but that will be it. Nothing else.

Postby Cue Guru

So we've got Fu v. Slowby.

Well done Hawk, you've denied us the greatest of all time, Ronnie v. Slowby.

There have been some dross results this year but the Dove from above has ruined the WSC and for what. Jack all.

Postby kruppy

hendry_fan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
kruppy wrote:Multi tasking as I'm sort of in the middle of the arena. What a session so far!

Proper fan, watching it live at the best arena of all. I envy you. <ok>

What a noise comin from that crucible,it,s even louder that the house of commons. :shrug: :-D

What a night in there, I'm telling you. What a night :-)

Postby snookerlover

Cue Guru, just because players you don't like win matches does not mean the tournament is ruined. Players fetes is in their own hands and you should blame the players who lost for the tournament being the way it is, if you see anything to need blamed on it. Personally I see a wide open field and the 75% chance of a new winner.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Souvent wrote:If Selby wins this, will he have had the "easiest" draw of all time? Baird-Wilson-Fu and possibly Ding/McManus (none of which have ever been to the final) has to be up there with the easiest draws.

Yes it would be right up there. If it were to be McManus in the final it would the easiest of all time.

Postby Skullman

snookerlover wrote:Cue Guru, just because players you don't like win matches does not mean the tournament is ruined. Players fetes is in their own hands and you should blame the players who lost for the tournament being the way it is, if you see anything to need blamed on it. Personally I see a wide open field and the 75% chance of a new winner.

That's assuming all players have an equal chance of winning.

Postby Cheshire Cat

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Souvent wrote:If Selby wins this, will he have had the "easiest" draw of all time? Baird-Wilson-Fu and possibly Ding/McManus (none of which have ever been to the final) has to be up there with the easiest draws.

Yes it would be right up there. If it were to be McManus in the final it would the easiest of all time.

Interesting. I'll be watching this closely to see if it happens.

I've seen a lot of toss on here, people calling other players' draws 'easy' when they've won the Worlds. Be interesting to see if double standards from said posters.

Postby snookerlover

Skullman wrote:
snookerlover wrote:Cue Guru, just because players you don't like win matches does not mean the tournament is ruined. Players fetes is in their own hands and you should blame the players who lost for the tournament being the way it is, if you see anything to need blamed on it. Personally I see a wide open field and the 75% chance of a new winner.

That's assuming all players have an equal chance of winning.

The only thing that varies is your opponents, although anyone who is capable of winning a world title should be able to beat the rest of the field. I understand this isn't always the case, for example if Selby wins this year it would be hard to argue he didn't have an easy first three matches. Personally why I've always favoured a Best of 33 round robin tournament.

Postby Cue Guru

:hatoff:

Yep, that's why if it does happen, '16 won't count. To have won it while avoiding ROS, Trump, Robbo, Smurf, Bingo is just a tragedy. It would count as a joke victory. He's played crap as well, just to make it worse.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:It's like McManus isn't feeling any pressure if he plays the likes of Higgins, Williams or Maguire. Pretty amazing really.

Is it time to call him Scotland's number 1?

You don't become a country's best player from just one good run. Although, Angles were to win the title, he'd go up to 3rd/4th in the rankings (3rd if Selby loses to Fu), jumping over Higgins.

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:How good are Fu's chances to beat Selby? You know, having seen how extremely he choked in the 22th frame is worrying. Not to mention, Barry coming back from 9:1.

That clearance in the end was good though.

If it stays close, I don't think he'll choke or start playing any worse.

If he develops a healthy lead he will, and Selby won't let him off the hook.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:How good are Fu's chances to beat Selby? You know, having seen how extremely he choked in the 22th frame is worrying. Not to mention, Barry coming back from 9:1.

That clearance in the end was good though.

Today was a blow to his chances as this took a lot out of him. Still with Selby playing mostly crap so far there's a chance.

Postby Skullman

Cue Guru wrote:

:hatoff:

Yep, that's why if it does happen, '16 won't count. To have won it while avoiding ROS, Trump, Robbo, Smurf, Bingo is just a tragedy. It would count as a joke victory. He's played crap as well, just to make it worse.

He's the only top seed doing his job of winning against the lower ranked players :wave:

Postby Cue Guru

snookerlover wrote:
SavoMilosevic wrote:I think Stephen Hendry should be back next year!

The difference is McManus can still be fussed to play on a 12ft table with snooker pockets. Hendry prefers the 6ft or 9ft variety with pockets the size of a recently laboured womans vagina.

Hendry played the C8B world champs. The pockets are super tight and the balls are US pool size. Very difficult to sink. Compare that with the bags on the WSC tables we've seen, club size!