Post a reply

Stephen Hendry's reaction just after it happened

Postby Monique

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/snoo ... -22230095/
Stephen Hendry's Crucible diary: Monday, May 3
May 3 2010 Stephen Hendry
To say I'm shocked about the news that broke over the weekend is an understatement - allegations like these at any time are unwanted but given who is supposedly involved it's unbelievable. It has completely taken the shine off what should be the biggest occasion in our sport.
The Betfred.com World Championship Final began yesterday but you wouldn't have known had you watched or listened to any broadcaster other than the Beeb. There was only one story they were interested in.
The sparkle and sense of occasion that should surround a Crucible final just doesn't seem to be there. For me that's sad for the two players who are now centre stage - if not centre of attention - because they gave everything for 15 days to get this far.
Graeme Dott - my player of the tournament regardless - has battled all sorts to get to where he is today. Beating Peter Ebdon, Stephen Maguire, Mark Allen and Mark Selby to reach the final just shows how well he has played.
Neil Robertson's efforts have taken snooker back on to TV screens in Australia. Fair to say neither of these guys were on anyone's list of favourites to progress to the final. I did mention Neil as a contender but I thought Mark Allen and Ding Junhui were more likely to go the distance.
But still, regardless of what they do, some will only want to talk about something else.
Unfortunately it's nothing new in snooker, and years back I found myself in exactly the same position as Neil and Graeme.
Betting
In 1995, the sporting world was shocked with the revelations that Peter Francisco had thrown a match against Jimmy White at the World Championship.
All bets had been laid at a match score of 10-2 - and guess what the final result was?
The snooker authorities had been tipped off by the betting regulators and knew exactly what they should be looking for.
There was a media frenzy in and around The Crucible. Journalists and news crews descended upon Sheffield.
While I knew about the story, I wasn't interested. I just wanted to win the title for a fifth time and I did.
While Francisco is still remembered, the name of my opponent, Nigel Bond, isn't because the limelight was stolen from him.
I'm sure Neil and Graeme only have eyes on that magnificent piece of silverware today. If only everyone else was the same.

Re: Stephen Hendry's reaction just after it happened

Postby Wildey

on Sunday and Monday my eyes was firmly on them nothing else mattered as far as im concerned and the fact Internet forums,TV and snooker fans was focused on this rubbish has made me feeling someone HAS TO PAY FOR THIS.

it can not go unpunished but i hope its a minimal punishment for bringing the game in to disrepute and not for match fixing any match fixing.

Postby Wildey

Templeton Peck wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote: someone HAS TO PAY FOR THIS.

That's the mentality that will see Higgins punished regardless I fear, because it's more important for the media to get their pound of flesh than for justice to be done.

he,news of the world,pat mooney anyone someones at fault somewhere.

Postby Wildey

onlyevertonjon wrote:Totally understand Stephen's point about no one mentioning the final and just the Higgins story.

Still he is harsh to say no one remembers Bond being in the final, I dont think that is right.

at the time it did put a cloud over it but looking back i remember Bond in the final more than the Francisco fiasco associated with that championship so hopefully in years to come everyone will associate the 2010 championship with Robbo winning it and this farce as something that happened to the sport but not really associated with that championship.

Postby gallantrabbit

yes well jimmy`s seeding meant he had hendry in the semi so lost to hendry there instead of the final...
i don`t remember the incident affecting the final that much. fact was that bond was outclassed and the final was always going to be a non event. no offence to bond but he was never going to live with 95 vintage hendry.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

The only reason I can remember the 1995 World Championship was because it was the first one I ever saw. After all the Hendry-White battles Hendry-Bond wasn't going to have the same interest and Hendry was going into his most dominant period in years over the next 18 months. I remember watching a bit of White-Francisco but coincidentaly the thing that stands out for me is hearing about how great John Higgins was only for him to be hammered in the first round.