2011 - German Masters announcement

Postby Monique

http://www.snookerstars.de/index.php/en ... eutschland
Biggest Snookerevent in Germany
Written by Ulf
Tuesday, 27 April 2010 13:40
O'Sullivan, Higgins and Co. come to Germany
Main Tour Event in Berlin in 2011
nooker is getting increasingly popular in Germany. Finally the WSA has acknowledged this fact:

In February 2011 there will be a first class world ranking tournament in Berlin, meaning it will belong to the seven most important tournaments of the main tour. The top-16 players of the world will all be starters at the German Masters.

The rest of the starting players is made up of 16 qualified players and eight wildcards. For these any player can apply.

The fans in Germany are thrilled by this news. For a long time the extensive snooker coverage on the pan-European network Eurosport has been among the most successful broadcasts of that network and is watched by a million viewers.

Eurosport-commentator Rolf Kalb:

Snooker has become very popular. More and more people are fascinated by the sport. The combination of tactics and skill, plus the little dramas at the table are unique and captivating.

The events of Dragonstars Eventmanegement have proven how big snooker has become in Germany. The Fürth-based company has filled big venues at exhibitions and small tournaments and in doing so helped make snooker popular..

Thomas Cesal, Dragonstars Eventmanegement CEO:

Our events made it clear to the players and the WSA how huge the enthusiasm for snooker in Germany really is.

Now the WSA and DE co-operate on the ranking tournament in Berlin.

Players love German audience
The top players of the snooker circuit are stars in Germany as well. And for quite some time they have asked for a ranking event in Germany.

Stephen Maguire, second in the rankings, said about the German audience in Berlin: "It's the best audience I've ever played. The people were enthusiastic, competent and fair."

Ronnie O’Sullivan, even said:

The players should pay for such an audience.

On February 2, 2011 the wait is over.

That is the day when the best snooker players in the world will play at the German Masters for ranking points and ca. 300,000 Euros of pricemoney.

German players currently not in the official ranking can qualify for one of the eight wildcards, and so becoming part of the most important snooker event in Germany of all time. Qualification is possible at the each of the four European Players Tour Championships between August and November, three of which will be in Germany.

Re: 2011 - German Masters announcement

Postby The Cueist

Monique <ok> You are right about the German Audience and their enthusiasm for watching top notch proffessional snooker.

When i went to the Ding v Pettman match there was three german snooker fans in the seats in front of me,They were really appreciating how good these players are and were very knowledgeable in there conversations with each other.

I thought this is what snookerfans should be like,A tournament in Germany would be well received by the snookerfans of Germany.

Postby Smart

The Cueist wrote:When i went to the Ding v Pettman match there was three german snooker fans in the seats in front of me,They were really appreciating how good these players are and were very knowledgeable in there conversations with each other.

I thought this is what snookerfans should be like,A tournament in Germany would be well received by the snookerfans of Germany.

Did you mention the war............................. <laugh> rofl <laugh> rofl

:wave: :sylvester:

Postby The Cueist

StalinESQ wrote:
The Cueist wrote:When i went to the Ding v Pettman match there was three german snooker fans in the seats in front of me,They were really appreciating how good these players are and were very knowledgeable in there conversations with each other.

Did you mention the war............................. <laugh> rofl <laugh> rofl

:wave: :sylvester:

<laugh> <laugh> rofl ,Of course i didnt,They didnt want to mention it either .

Germany has not got involved in the Afghan war. ;)

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :sylvester: :jerry: :jerry: :dance:

May i just point out to other posters that my old posting name of Adolf Mugabe was a tongue in cheek response to Seifer island hatah the snooker posters continual banning and removing my posts,I likened his behaviour to a dictator and i called him it often enough. <ok>

Unfortunately i got so carried away with the wind up i didnt see that i was being so disrespectful to others,Although not intentionally,jUST GOT A BIT BLINKERED IN MY PURSUIT TO WIND SEIFER UP,Mad aint it. :chin:

Hence i had a giggle with it and now he is gone,I as a person am no dictator and i abhor what Adolf Hitler and his cronies did in the war and i suspecy most right thinking germans did and do now.

I just felt i should point this out as i dont want people thinking i am a giving any credence to a vile and narcissistic excuse for a human.

I have a very broad sense of humour and sometimes i dont see that others will not see it like me.

I am now The Cueist and i have had my giggle and so have a few others,From now on i think i will stick to talking sensibly about snooker.

And after all i do know my Snooker.

And i will concentrate on it from now on when i post.

Im sorry if any offence has been caused to any other poster as on hindsight the posting name AdolfMugabe is a tad extreme.

Just wanted to point that out,?Did i need to?I think maybe in some cases. :)

I am now going to start afresh and put my my intelligence and wits to good use by posting sensible talk about snooker. <ok>
As in real life i have my feet on the ground and i am a considerate and responsible kind of person with a sense of humour,And i have a sense of the ridiculous which comes from a life of hard knocks,I have to laugh or i would cry to be honest,Without going into detail. <ok>

Postby Monique

The format has been explained.
There will be 8 "wild cards, "local" players, coming out of a qualification process that was not explained, plus 32 pros.
The set up will be five tables in the arena except for the final (one table set-up) , with matches going on all day long. Straight knock-out. The quarters and semis to be played the same day. The format will be standard ranking. Best of 9 to the quarters, best of 11 in semis and best of 17 in final. There should be one "main" television table but television equipment ready to switch to another table if anything od special interest was happening.

Postby Monique

Four days. Extended week-end. The venue is actually mainly used for ice-skating events. Big capacity. Berlin is a nice city with good connexions. It should work. They also consider using the facilities of a club nearby for "interactions", cue zone, whatever.

Postby N_Castle07

Monique wrote:Four days. Extended week-end. The venue is actually mainly used for ice-skating events. Big capacity. Berlin is a nice city with good connexions. It should work. They also consider using the facilities of a club nearby for "interactions", cue zone, whatever.

Has there been any news on broadcasting of the event Sky ect? Or will it just be shown on Eurosport?

Postby SnookerFan

Sounds good... A small nitpick might be I'd wish it was longer, with more opportunity to watch more matches. But a tournament in Germany is long overdue, as is adding more ranking tournaments.

Postby Templeton Peck

So these wildcards that anyone can apply for; can someone like Jimmy get knocked out in the qualifiers and then apply for a wildcard? Wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if we can get big name players down the rankings into the main event.

Postby SnookerFan

Templeton Peck wrote:So these wildcards that anyone can apply for; can someone like Jimmy get knocked out in the qualifiers and then apply for a wildcard? Wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if we can get big name players down the rankings into the main event.

I would assume that the wild cards were local players, in the same vein as the China Open. But I am only making an educated guess.