world number 1
23%
World Champion
77%

Total votes : 13

Re: whats more important

Postby Wildey

rocket_ron wrote:being world number1 or world champion

Stephen Hendry was World No 1 in 2006 he wasent Happy he didnt win a Tournament.

World Champion is the Most important then being World Champion and World No 1 in the same season....Robbo almost achieved that.

Postby Rocket_ron

wildJONESEYE wrote:

Stephen Hendry was World No 1 in 2006 he wasent Happy he didnt win a Tournament.

World Champion is the Most important then being World Champion and World No 1 in the same season....Robbo almost achieved that.

Wild,
when i was 13 i got a stephen hendry book out from the local libary, and in it stephen hendry said he was more happy being world number one than being world champion because world number1 proves your the most consistant.

he has obviously changed his mind since then

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

I would think your first goal initially is to become World Champion & then after that to work on becoming World Number 1.

Postby Rocket_ron

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:I would think your first goal initially is to become World Champion & then after that to work on becoming World Number 1.

<ok> good answer

Postby N_Castle07

rocket_ron wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

Wild,
when i was 13 i got a stephen hendry book out from the local libary, and in it stephen hendry said he was more happy being world number one than being world champion because world number1 proves your the most consistant.

he has obviously changed his mind since then

i don't think he changed his mind it was just that he got to World Number 1 without winning a title. Obviosly as John says it is every snooker players dream to be World Champion. But i'm going to say it is more important to be World Number 1 because of the difficulty of it. For example lets look at the past 30 years there has only been 5 World Number 1's, to me that is proof that it is more difficult to become World Number 1 than it is World Champion.

Postby Rocket_ron

N_Castle07 wrote: But i'm going to say it is more important to be World Number 1 because of the difficulty of it. For example lets look at the past 30 years there has only been 5 World Number 1's, to me that is proof that it is more difficult to become World Number 1 than it is World Champion.

your right N_Castle.

Postby N_Castle07

rocket_ron wrote:
N_Castle07 wrote: But i'm going to say it is more important to be World Number 1 because of the difficulty of it. For example lets look at the past 30 years there has only been 5 World Number 1's, to me that is proof that it is more difficult to become World Number 1 than it is World Champion.

your right N_Castle.

However it may be worth doing this pole in a couple of years because i think the Significance and prestige of being World Number 1 will fall with the introduction of Rolling Rankings. Correct me if i'm wrong but will the new ranking system possibly see more than 1 World No 1 in the same season?

Postby N_Castle07

Templeton Peck wrote:The number 1 spot doesn't come with a cheque for 250k does it?

No but prestige and achievement out weighs money in a sporting career.

Postby N_Castle07

Templeton Peck wrote:Tell that to Allison Fisher!

<laugh> Well the question is do players rate money higher than titles? I would say titles mean more to them.

Postby Wildey

well it has been harder to be World no 1 with only

Ray Reardon
Cliff Thorburn
Steve Davis
Stephen Hendry
John Higgins
Mark Williams

and the last First Time WN1 was Ronnie O'Sullivan in 2002/2003 season.

in that time

Ray Reardon
John Spencer
Terry Griffiths
Cliff Thorburn
Steve Davis
Alex Higgins
Dennis Taylor
Joe Johnson
Stephen Hendry
John Parrott
Ken Doherty
John Higgins
Mark Williams
Ronnie O'Sullivan
Peter Ebdon
Shaun Murphy
Greame Dott
and Now Neil Robertson been World Champion.

Postby Casey

Without a shadow of a doubt it has to be the world championship.

Which is more difficult, well we have never had a world number 1 that hasn’t been world champion. However when Hendry got it in 06 he hadn’t been champion in 6 years.

I think that was the killer year in terms of glamour with the title of world number 1. Hasn’t been the same since.

Postby Templeton Peck

Alex Higgins was a world number 1 off performance as well, but got bumped down to number 2 after he had points deducted. I've never been a fan of docking points because it misrepresents a player's performance. In many ways it's a greater achievement but I don't think it means as much. For a start it's not "pure" - it depends on point levels which is subjective. For instance, Davis was kept away from the number 1 spot longer than he should have been because only the WC offered ranking points when he first won it, and Hendry only got to number 1 again in 2006 because Ronnie pulled out of a tournament. At least with the WC the achievement is what it is; sometimes you get weak fields as Robertson did this year, but basically you've still won the biggest and toughest tournament on the calender so the achievment speaks for itself.

Postby Wildey

Templeton

It was the same field for all and Robertson won it .....

the Reason Hendry won tournament after tournament after tournament going from Dubi to china to thailand without coming home he had stamina are you telling me these days 2 Weeks in April is to tough for players ?

come on its not been a hard season with so little tournaments played and they were stil Knackered :? :? :?

Robertson won because he had Stamina and the best player over the tournament that never gave in.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:

No it wasnt, theres no such thing as the same field for all in snooker. Easier halves and quarters of the draw exist, then theres favourable scenarios where someone your due to play gets knocked out by a weaker player thus giving you an easier chance of progression and roulte to glory.

Im not demeaning Robbos achievements, after all you can only beat who is in front of you but the facts are any one of a number of top players would have fancied winning the thing if told O'Brien, Gould, Davis, Carter and Dott were all that stood in their way.

31, 46, 23, 5 and 28 the rankings of the players Robbo had to beat. Without delving into the history books id be willing to bet that no previous world champion has had such an easy route to glory.

The average ranking of his opponents was 27th !!!!

Postby Alex0paul

wildJONESEYE wrote:come on its not been a hard season with so little tournaments played and they were stil Knackered :? :? :?

Thats the problem. They aren't playing enough snooker throughout the season to be hardened before the big one whereas in the past there were plenty of tournaments so they were always in stroke.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

No it wasnt, theres no such thing as the same field for all in snooker. Easier halves and quarters of the draw exist, then theres favourable scenarios where someone your due to play gets knocked out by a weaker player thus giving you an easier chance of progression and roulte to glory.

Im not demeaning Robbos achievements, after all you can only beat who is in front of you but the facts are any one of a number of top players would have fancied winning the thing if told O'Brien, Gould, Davis, Carter and Dott were all that stood in their way.

31, 46, 23, 5 and 28 the rankings of the players Robbo had to beat. Without delving into the history books id be willing to bet that no previous world champion has had such an easy route to glory.

The average ranking of his opponents was 27th !!!!

there was 32 players in the draw Robertson won it..

sorry only losers complain about the Draw and players that cant hack it and desparate fans looking for weak ideas why their faves not won it.

Ronnie is 3 times World Champion based on Weak draws if you want me to go down that path i will.

Postby SnookerFan

15 years after your career is finished, would you rather be remembered a somebody who was world number 1, or somebody who was world champion?

When you get the title, your name is on it, you get immortality. Do you think Jimmy White would rather have been WN1 or have got the world title, just one time.

Postby GJ

ROBBO 2010 WC

no matter what anyone says :afro: :ahh:

GJtheaussiestud wrote:ROBBO 2010 WC

If your Happy & You know it clap your hands. :)

Postby Wildey

Templeton Peck wrote:Ronnie had weak draws Wild because he can't draw himself can he!

in 2 out of 3 World finals he faced players that has never won a tournament Dott in 2004 and Carter in 2008 carter infact playing his first ever final against someone he had never beaten.

Robertson won having played and beaten a former champion in his first World Final.

Postby GJ

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:ROBBO 2010 WC

If your Happy & You know it clap your hands. :)

sorry about earlier on john i was out of line you meant no harm

<ok>

GJtheaussiestud wrote:sorry about earlier on john i was out of line you meant no harm

<ok>

Forget about it champ. ;)

Postby Templeton Peck

To be fair Ronnie had to beat at least one of Higgins, Williams and Hendry along the way to win each of his titles. You're lucky if you don't have to beat at least one world class player to lift the world title.