Post a reply

Commentators

Postby neil.warwick954@btinternet.com

can someone gag virgo or replace him with winners not also rans and one hit
wonders, he is the most boring person to listen to and constantly telling us what the players should have played, he won sod all so in my book is not qualified to criticise other players.

Re: Commentators

Postby Cheshire Cat

I'm on it. You won't be hearing any more from Virgo.

Postby SnookerFan

Cheshire Cat wrote:I'm on it. You won't be hearing any more from Virgo.

I'd watch it. A lot of celebrities have been dying lately. If he's next, everyone will suspect it's you.

Postby SnookerFan

I copy and pasted this, it's a post I made in a previous thread. I think it aptly describes how the BBC could improve commentary;

In my opinion, there should be two types of commentator. The former player, and the journalist.

The former player is there to be an expert on shot selection, and analysis of what is happening at the table. The journalist is the stat-man. His job is to know as much as possible about each player, past and present. His job is not to know what the player is thinking when at the table. That's for the former player to explain.

When you watch the BBC all commentators are former players, and it's quite obvious that none of them watch snooker unless they are paid to. What's the point? You don't need two players explaining their opinion of shots. You need one to do that, and one to provide the knowledge as to who each player is.

Postby king.kauto

I've had to stop watching BBC coverage down to Virgo, Taylor and even Everton. They are so old and so out of touch.
I now watch Eurosport as they are a lot better, unless you get Phil Yates who is the most annoying prat on Earth.
I have to make a special mention to Hazell Irvine, what does this woman bring to the table?????????????? what is her point????????????

Postby SnookerFan

Hazel is alright. She craps all over Colin Murray.

Though, to be fair, Colin seems to be at least trying harder this week, from what I've seen. Maybe somebody has pointed out to him that he's an unfunny bellend, and should stop making jokes as much.

Postby Andy Spark

The BBC commentators make me laugh!

Examples: "The cueball came off the cushion faster than it went on" Stephen Hendry's obvious belief that he has discovered a perpetual motion machine disguised as a snooker table.

"If you were a gambling man you'd have bet your house on it" Steve Davis describes an irresponsible gambling scenario to his fellow commentator (and irresponsible gambler) Willie Thorne.

"Earlier he was trudging round the table, now he's prowling round" new commentator George Riley shows a command of English that is sadly lacking in the former pros that make up the majority of the commentary team.

"That was careless" By many commentators. The strange idea that snooker is an easy game and if a player has a lapse of concentration then it is obviously because they don't care about the thousands of pounds it might cost them.

Postby SnookerEd25

"Where's the cue-ball going? WHERE'S THE CUE-BALL GOING?!?"

I know where it would be going if I had my way, and it wouldn't be coming out in a hurry I cn tell you...

Postby Andy Spark

SnookerEd25 wrote:"Where's the cue-ball going? WHERE'S THE CUE-BALL GOING?!?"

I know where it would be going if I had my way, and it wouldn't be coming out in a hurry I cn tell you...

rofl

Postby Iranu

Points of View today has a string of people complaining about the BBC commentary, in particular Virgo's shouting.

It pleased me.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:Points of View today has a string of people complaining about the BBC commentary, in particular Virgo's shouting.

It pleased me.

I wasn't offended by his language.

But it's quite funny that people are annoyed with the BBC.

Postby vodkadiet

Dennis Taylor should have gone at least a decade ago. Which person was responsible for giving Taylor a job as a commentator in the first place?

Taylor should be a golf commentator. Him and that sport(well it isn't really a sport), are equally boring.

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:"Where's the cue-ball going? WHERE'S THE CUE-BALL GOING?!?"

<ok>

Postby barrydoherty54

Virgo needs a new pair of eyes for starters.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:Points of View today has a string of people complaining about the BBC commentary, in particular Virgo's shouting.

It pleased me.

It wasn't the swearing they were complaining about, literally just his noise.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

It pleased me.

It wasn't the swearing they were complaining about, literally just his noise.

Snookerbacker made a good point on Twitter.

I swear all the time, and it doesn't offend me when others do it. However, the fact that they were moaning at all is slightly offensive.

These people are paid to watch and discuss snooker. That's their job. It's essentially what we've all been doing in our spare time for the last 17 days. They are getting money for it. Okay, some of Selby's frames went on a bit over the semis and final. The one they were watching broke a Crucible record. But they are being paid to watch a sport I personally pay to watch. So do many others. Getting petulant that one or two frames are a bit dull makes you look a bit of a tit.

Let's work it out.

The UK Championship starts on a Saturday, ends the following Sunday. Nine days. The Masters, Sunday to Sunday. That's eight days. The Crucible lasts 17 days. That's literally 34 days of work the BBC commentators do a year. . (Maybe a day or so different for Willie Thorne who sometimes does BBC Wales coverage instead of The Masters, but let's just say a few days over a month's work.) Their job is to talk about snooker, and they literally 11 months a year off.

How much sympathy do you have that they have to sit through the odd dull frame? Willie Thorne muttering that somebody else's play is pathetic, when his own claim to fame was that he sometimes made 147s in practice, was followed by Virgo's moaning that he might have to miss some racing and Match Of The Day. You get 11 months of the year to watch what you want on telly, Beardy. Stop moaning.

Postby SteveJJ

And the fact that he wasn't going to watch the afternoon session. Fair enough he wasn't commentating and you can't watch every session, but you might think he may be interested in watching a deciding session of a semi final of the world championship. If not for the love of the game then for professionalism reasons as he would be commentating on the victor in the final.

Postby Andy Spark

It pleased me.

I find it strange that only this year did Hazel Irvine apologise to viewers for the bad language in the commentary box. What took her so long?

Postby SnookerFan

Andy Spark wrote:

It pleased me.

I find it strange that only this year did Hazel Irvine apologise to viewers for the bad language in the commentary box. What took her so long?

Was their bad language last year?

Postby SnookerFan

SteveJJ wrote:And the fact that he wasn't going to watch the afternoon session. Fair enough he wasn't commentating and you can't watch every session, but you might think he may be interested in watching a deciding session of a semi final of the world championship. If not for the love of the game then for professionalism reasons as he would be commentating on the victor in the final.

Exactly.

Virgo was essentially caught complaining that he'd rather be doing something else. In a way, he was lucky that he swore. It gave people something else to focus on other than the fact that he thinks the sport is boring.

Postby Iranu

Virgo in particular I think has fallen out of love with the game.

He reminds me of Mark Lawrenson commentating on the football - both give the impression they'd rather be somewhere else.

Say what you want about Dennis Taylor, and I complain about him more than most, but at least you can tell he still genuinely loves snooker.

Postby Andy Spark

SnookerFan wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:

It pleased me.

Was their bad language last year?

Most of what they say constitutes "bad language" in my opinion. Constant grammatical errors litter their speech like discarded beer cans after a night watching their "bucking" Match Of The Day.

Postby Andy Spark

Mitchell and Webb: BRILLIANT! rofl

I just wish their catchphrase wasn't "Oh, and that's a bad miss" but rather, "Oh, and that's careless". :-)

Postby vodkadiet

Just been watching The Crucible Classic match between Steve Davis and Tony Knowles on BBCi Player and I found it interesting that The BBC had Selby commentating. Vera Selby!!

I don't remember her commentating at the time. I am sure she didn't commentate after that championship.

Vera Selby MBE