Post a reply

My strategy for going next year

Postby SnookerFan

This will be something I'll be trying to decide what to do in the next couple of weeks, leading up to when tickets go on sale on the 2nd May.

I tend to bore everybody around me discussing this, so I will come on here first, for no other reason than my OCD tendancies might bore you snooker fans slightly less than my friends and family.

Question 1. Do I go next year?
Question 2. What do I book tickets to?

Regarding Question 1, I have been telling myself to have a break from Fortress Crucible for a couple of years. I know that I am a massive Crucible fanboy. But I have been every year since 2006, and for me it's becoming a bit been there, done it. I found myself looking forward to the Welsh Open more than The Crucible the last couple of years. That shouldn't be. Also, it's the one that has the furthest travel for me, and three sessions a day was becoming a bit gruelling.

Hearn selling tickets so far in advance last year, I decided not to bother. But the second tickets went on sale, I literally could think of nothing but going to the snooker. I wanted to have a year off but I couldn't. Like an alcoholic trying to kick an addiction, I was literally thinking about going booking tickets every waking second. It was never off my mind. Add that last year's visit was my greatest ever Crucible trip. I can't survive like that between May 2nd and next year.

Question 2. What do I book tickets to? They changed the order of the way they usually hold first round sessions, meaning what I thought was three full matches was one full match and four random sessions. Do I book tickets to every session I'm there for, and then return what I don't want?

My usual hotel has gotten less good. They've stopped doing evening meals, or serving draught beer. What used to be a thriving bar full of snooker fans, was just me and the barstaff. Also, they no longer have Eurosport in the bar. Restricting what snooker they can show. I'll try a few others perhaps.

No do I stand strong, refuse to book tickets again and just go to other tournaments, like the English Open, to keep it fresh? I run the risk of thinking about Crucible tickets every second for the whole year they are on sale. That's not an exaggeration.

Or do I shake it up a bit, maybe try and see if I can get semi-final tickets, or try a different ticket buying strategy?

All very confusing.

Re: My strategy for going next year

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:Why don't you try the qualifiers instead?

Yeah, I was going to do that this year. Before the aforementioned nervous breakdown that I hadn't got Crucible tickets and the hasty purchase of said tickets.

Postby Cheshire Cat

Please go.

I can't go because uni, exams and whatnot, so at least if you go buddy, I can channel myself through you through our Islander bond and feel like i'm there too.

Postby vodkadiet

Start dating one of the player's family. He would sure to give you tickets then. And make sure it is a player likely to make the one table set up. Someone like Matt Selt!

Postby vodkadiet

vodkadiet wrote:Start dating one of the player's family. He would be sure to give you tickets then. And make sure it is a player likely to make the one table set up. Someone like Matt Selt!

Postby Alex0paul

Just buy tickets for either table 1 or table 2 then you won't just get random sessions

Postby SnookerFan

Alex0paul wrote:Just buy tickets for either table 1 or table 2 then you won't just get random sessions

I always stay on the same table.

Even if I'd have stayed on the same table the whole time and taken no rest sessions, there would still be matches I didn't see in their entirety. I saw John Higgins on Monday, and I was traveling home when he finished.

Unless I stay for the entire first round of course.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Why don't you go for the semis and final?

It's difficult. The final is usually sold out before tickets go on general sale. I've managed it a couple of times, but you need to be faster than a speeding bullet, and lottery winner lucky, If I can get tickets to the final, I won't think twice.

There's always the Stubhub route, for double the price.

Postby barrydoherty54

SNOOKERFAN.

I take it tickets for 2017 World Championship go on sale the day after this years final. If I was looking for two tickets to a semi final or final, is it purely based on how quick of the mark and that bit off luck on your side?

Postby SnookerFan

barrydoherty54 wrote:SNOOKERFAN.

I take it tickets for 2017 World Championship go on sale the day after this years final. If I was looking for two tickets to a semi final or final, is it purely based on how quick of the mark and that bit off luck on your side?

No. Like last year, they are on sale before the tournament ends. Monday the 2nd May.

Postby SnookerFan

barrydoherty54 wrote:SNOOKERFAN.

The final is often sold out before the tickets go on sale. Basically, any that aren't will be sold out 3 minutes after they do.

You need speed, and your entire year's worth of luck in one go to get them.

Possible, I've done it. But difficult.

Postby the_exile

I've never been there with the one table set up and would like to try that some day but the tickets are too pricey.

This is the second year in a row where I haven't been for any of the tournament and I'm feeling rubbish about it. Need to make sure I go for a couple of days next year at least.