Post a reply

Betfred World Championship (Sat April 16th) Last 32 !!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Saturday 16th of April~Monday 2nd of May at The Crucible Theatre, Sheffield

Its Basildon v Colchester in a all Essex Clash that gets the World Championship 40th staging at the crucible underway as World Champion Stuart Bingham faces Ali Carter in the first round of his Defence.

Also in action is Peter Ebdon who made no bones about the fact he doesent like the Qualifiers so close to the Main event and he opens Proceedings on Table 2 against Marco Fu, Both Matches played to a finish on the first day.

and Starting out will be 3 Scotsmen Alan McManus faces Stephen Maguire and Anthony McGill plays former champion Shaun Murphy.

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Saturday 16th of April

10am

Stuart Bingham 4-5 Allister Carter Carter leads 13-4
Marco Fu 6-2 Peter Ebdon Marco Fu leads 7-5

2.30pm

Stephen Maguire 3-5 Alan McManus Maguire leads 9-5
Shaun Murphy 5-4 Anthony McGill Murphy leads 4-0

7pm

**Stuart Bingham 9-10 Allister Carter Carter leads 13-4
**Marco Fu 10-2 Peter Ebdon Marco Fu leads 7-5

** Denotes Final Session of a Match

Image Image

Re: Betfred World Championship (Sat April 16th) Last 32 !!

Postby PLtheRef

Going to be a good opening day with a great match to kick us off. I think that it's arguably the most keenly anticipated first round match for a defending champion since Neil Robertson faced Judd Trump five years ago.

It's certainly arguably the toughest first round draw Bingham could have faced - with the exception maybe of facing Ding, As I said in a different thread, it's the closest thing to drawing an unseeded top 16 player. The rankings don't lie they say - but I'm sure there'll be many who believe Carter is better than his current ranking.

On the predictions front so far Ali gets the nod 13-8. A lot of expectation will be on Stuart as defending champion and many a champion have fallen at the first hurdle.

Postby Andre147

Yes PL is right, it's the most antecipated first round match for a defending champ since that classic Robbo v Judd in 2011.

Unlike many, I think Bingo will win this one. The fact that Ali (CL excluded) has won their last 6 meetings, is bound to spur Bingo on even more to beat him.

Yes Ali is the toughest qualifier he could have faced bar Ding, but like I said, I expect Bingo to win it, but not without a brave fight. 10-8 I say.

Postby Cheshire Cat

I guess in a way it feels more 'flowing'? Having the whole match from start to finish in one day. It's also interesting in that whoever gets the momentum in the first session will almost certainly retain that form this evening for the conclusion -- matches resuming on a separate day can change a match completely (Williams v Stevens World Final 2000 is probably one of the biggest turnarounds). It's very important now to get off to a good start and a big incentive to get off to a flyer.

But yeah, IDC tbh. The match has to finish sometime, I don't think the players will be too fussed. Fu looking very good though. Has all but won the first in one visit with an 81 break.

Postby mantorok

Skullman wrote:
boris_the_butcher wrote:As if anyone of sane mind would watch Ebdon/Fu over Bingham/Carter.

Watching both.

I'll watch Bingo first, knowing that when the session finishes Ebdon/Fu will only be on the 3rd frame.