38%
I just don't care
54%

Total votes : 13

Re: Marco Fu starts and finishes on the opening Saturday

Postby SnookerFan

My reply from World Snooker.

Hi SnookerFan,

I am sorry that the schedule for matches hasn’t met with your expectations. Managing broadcaster and international consumer demand is something that is always tricky and as such, we are very seldom able to ensure any particular format for the event in advance of the matches being known.

Hopefully though you will still be able to enjoy the incredible drama from this event and fingers crossed that the players put on a great show.

Best regards

Postby vodkadiet

Andre147 wrote:Disgraceful decision indeed.

Only the World Champion should finish his match on the opening day.

Can't remember the last time this happened, if it ever happened that is...

Alan McManus beat Chris Small in the opening session one year. The match was over by Saturday lunchtime on day 1.

Going back to the Fu match, I think his religious indoctrination precludes him from taking his cue out of its case on a Sunday, let alone chalk it, or strike the cue ball with it.

Verdict: Fu will play snooker whenever he says so, as long as it isn't on The Sabbath. He also demands that no store in Sheffield opens its doors on a Sunday while The Happy Valley native is in town...

Postby SnookerFan

vodkadiet wrote:Going back to the Fu match, I think his religious indoctrination precludes him from taking his cue out of its case on a Sunday, let alone chalk it, or strike the cue ball with it.

Verdict: Fu will play snooker whenever he says so, as long as it isn't on The Sabbath. He also demands that no store in Sheffield opens its doors on a Sunday while The Happy Valley native is in town...

Really? Is that some new thing, he's played Sundays before.

What if he gets to the final?

Postby SnookerFan

Ronnie79 wrote:Does it matter a f*ck ?. He will probably be out in round one anyway. I Read on twitter this was the old way it was done prior to 94.

It's kind of annoying if you've purchased a year in advance, trying to buy tickets to full matches.

Postby vodkadiet

SnookerFan wrote:
Ronnie79 wrote:Does it matter a f*ck ?. He will probably be out in round one anyway. I Read on twitter this was the old way it was done prior to 94.

It's kind of annoying if you've purchased a year in advance, trying to buy tickets to full matches.

Yes. Back in the mid 80s the number 1 and 2 seeds both finished on day 1.

Postby vodkadiet

SnookerFan wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Going back to the Fu match, I think his religious indoctrination precludes him from taking his cue out of its case on a Sunday, let alone chalk it, or strike the cue ball with it.

Really? Is that some new thing, he's played Sundays before.

What if he gets to the final?

The 'fictitious man' in the sky has given Fu permission to play snooker on the first Sunday of May each year or the last Sunday of April, so he will never have to miss the world final. He cannot play on any other Sunday.

Fu told reporters "I am so pleased that him upstairs has let me play on World final's day. He is such a generous guy. However, in return I have promised him that I will never complain about any refereeing decision that goes against me on this sacred day". - Reuters

Postby SnookerFan

vodkadiet wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Yes. Back in the mid 80s the number 1 and 2 seeds both finished on day 1.

Well, I didn't buy these tickets in the 1980s, did I? :wave:

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:it doesent matter does it

it has to finish at some point might as well be day 1 as good as any day.

Bit of a pain in the neck for those of us with tickets who were wanting full matches, it's botched the usual order. So, for example, I'm seeing the first session of Higgins, but am travelling home for the conclusion. Ordinarily, I'd have been watching full matches.

For those watching on TV, it don't really matter.

Postby SnookerFan

Skullman wrote:There isn't really a usual order for the Worlds though, is there? So you're leaving it to chance regardless...

There has been, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to buy full matches previously.

Example. Table 1 at 2.30pm on Saturday, usually finishes at 7pm on Sunday on the same table. Irtegardless of who plays.

My ticket even claims my John Higgins opening session is a final session, so the order has changed.