Post a reply

This is when Judd is at his best

Postby Pink Ball

Judd Trump has always been at his best when he goes for most of his shots. Maybe it was right to curb the 2011 version a little bit, but I think he went too far, and his confidence suffered as a result. The Judd we saw today is the best player in the world besides Ronnie O'Sullivan: confident, ambitious, scintillating.

If you've got that guy's potting ability, then why not use it to its full potential instead of half commiting to a pot with safety in mind? Won't work for most, will work for arguably the best potter of all time.

Re: This is when Judd is at his best

Postby LC

Far too inconsistent, his lack of titles is damning, 26 and 4 ranking titles?? The spells of undoubted brilliance are interspersed with some shocking losses

Postby Andre147

LC wrote:Far too inconsistent, his lack of titles is damning, 26 and 4 ranking titles?? The spells of undoubted brilliance are interspersed with some shocking losses

They are, plus no Triple Crown event win since his first and only title in 2011?

He should be at he prime of his game, and he isn't making the most of it.

Postby Andre147

Pink Ball wrote:buck sake lads, that's not the point of this thread in the slightest.

Ok then. When at his best, currently on tour there's only two players for me who can stop him and have proved it n the past: Robbo and Ronnie.

I do agree with what you said above, he would be far more sucessful and have more wins if he didnt screw back to baluk on his favourite screw back shots so often.

He's a joy to watch though when at his best, although I never really liked him to be honest.

Postby Andy Spark

I call the distinction the aggressive and the ultra-aggressive. The ultra-aggressive seems great and when you feel great and your game is in a good place it IS great. You deliberately take on pots that spite the percentages and you can almost feel your opponents quiver in fear. However, when you miss a few, I don't care who you are, you question yourself, because the voices that told you that your opponent feared your shots are now saying that you're an idiot for taking on those shots!

What do you do?

Postby SnookerFan

Trump is an amazing potter, but is he a complete Snooker player. That's the question.

When he's in form, and everything goes in, he looks amazing. When he won the China Open that time he went on to look unbeatable on reaching the final. The difference was, one does not simply outpot John Higgins.

On form, he's incredible. Then he goes off form, and looks like a bit of a mug.

He's not quite as bad as Ding's highs and lows form-wise. But he can go from looking invincible to looking like just another player.

Postby LC

5 years since a major title! I expected a lot more from judd, and so did he the way he bigged himself up, his A game is as good as anyone's as shown against Robertson in the masters but then the pattern of his career continued in the next round with a terrible loss

Postby Cheshire Cat

The thing with Judd for me is that he's tried to create a B and C game, to such an extent that it's actually hindered his A game. Apart from spells, he's completely lost that unpredictable potting fear factor that basically made him who he is. He just doesn't have that arrogant confidence anymore that he's going to pot every ball he looks at. Okay it was do-or-die and some people might call it reckless, but i'll be damned if it wasn't exciting and looked frightening to play against.

Also, sighting the cue ball. When it's good he's great, when it's bad.. well, forget B and C games, you can't do sod if you're not sighting balls correctly. Trump needs to sort that out ASAP because it's bombing him whenever he comes under pressure. Back then Trump was just full of confidence with no big scars to his psyche. He has battle scars now, they're forever etched into his mind and his botched sighting method / cue action is doing him no favours when the adrenaline starts pumping.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Trump is an amazing potter, but is he a complete Snooker player. That's the question.

When he's in form, and everything goes in, he looks amazing. When he won the China Open that time he went on to look unbeatable on reaching the final. The difference was, one does not simply outpot John Higgins.

He's not quite as bad as Ding's highs and lows form-wise. But he can go from looking invincible to looking like just another player.

he could have out potted Higgins to the title the problem was reaching the pocket wasent enough for him he wanted to destroy the pocket and reach the car park with every shot and pot.

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Trump is an amazing potter, but is he a complete Snooker player. That's the question.

he could have out potted Higgins to the title the problem was reaching the pocket wasent enough for him he wanted to destroy the pocket and reach the car park with every shot and pot.

That's a great point. He had Higgins by the short and curlies in that final.

Postby TheSaviour

I would always defend people who drive things what they see are right for a certain people. Even if it is called manipulation or whatever.. It has a massive advantages. To the people who can or enjoy reading from the other people. Because when they are driving those things or a thing they are natural. I have driven also those things, obviously just on a smaller scale... Ha haa. A wee bit of copying and pasting, and during the weekends they can get blasted or getting laid, or whatever those sort of a people fancy to do. These days a lot´s of people drive exactle the same things they have driven for years, just without those delusions, or shall I call it a daydreaming, of what a modern technology or coaching methods makes possible. And what it won´t make possible.

I am just saying that this same conversation has been going on for years. Sometimes it is about Jimmy White, sometimes Robertson, Ding or Mark Allen and so on and so on, and now about Judd. Yes, a very, a very inpressive stuff from Judd indeed. You won´t see or be able to calculate players relative strenghts just from the century list, or an average shot time.

I would be interested to know how the chinese audience and fans rooted Judd, if they rooted. BECAUSE he certainly is a new Jimmy White. A people´s champion. He has that same something about his effective game. I think that Reanne is the people´s champion also, or at least could be that. Will Reanne try her luck at the world qualifiers once again..? She could be there in the mix, even winning the tournaments if she would play the whole calender. Certainly not winning the most, but in the mix. But Reanne also needs to sleep that 6 or 7 hours per night.... So even she can´t deny the laws of the physics and the laws of the averages.... The same laws which has made Jimmy the Jimmy he is....

Postby SnookerFan

TheSaviour wrote:I would always defend people who drive things what they see are right for a certain people. Even if it is called manipulation or whatever.. It has a massive advantages. To the people who can or enjoy reading from the other people. Because when they are driving those things or a thing they are natural. I have driven also those things, obviously just on a smaller scale... Ha haa. A wee bit of copying and pasting, and during the weekends they can get blasted or getting laid, or whatever those sort of a people fancy to do. These days a lot´s of people drive exactle the same things they have driven for years, just without those delusions, or shall I call it a daydreaming, of what a modern technology or coaching methods makes possible. And what it won´t make possible.

I am just saying that this same conversation has been going on for years. Sometimes it is about Jimmy White, sometimes Robertson, Ding or Mark Allen and so on and so on, and now about Judd. Yes, a very, a very inpressive stuff from Judd indeed. You won´t see or be able to calculate players relative strenghts just from the century list, or an average shot time.

I would be interested to know how the chinese audience and fans rooted Judd, if they rooted. BECAUSE he certainly is a new Jimmy White. A people´s champion. He has that same something about his effective game. I think that Reanne is the people´s champion also, or at least could be that. Will Reanne try her luck at the world qualifiers once again..? She could be there in the mix, even winning the tournaments if she would play the whole calender. Certainly not winning the most, but in the mix. But Reanne also needs to sleep that 6 or 7 hours per night.... So even she can´t deny the laws of the physics and the laws of the averages.... The same laws which has made Jimmy the Jimmy he is....

Too late.

Ding has already got the watch thread.

Postby Dan-cat

TheSaviour wrote:I would always defend people who drive things what they see are right for a certain people. Even if it is called manipulation or whatever.. It has a massive advantages. To the people who can or enjoy reading from the other people. Because when they are driving those things or a thing they are natural. I have driven also those things, obviously just on a smaller scale... Ha haa. A wee bit of copying and pasting, and during the weekends they can get blasted or getting laid, or whatever those sort of a people fancy to do. These days a lot´s of people drive exactle the same things they have driven for years, just without those delusions, or shall I call it a daydreaming, of what a modern technology or coaching methods makes possible. And what it won´t make possible.

I've driven a Honda Civic for years, and my imaginary friend says I'm delusional

Postby SnookerFan

Ronnie79 wrote:Saviour are you being serious reanne evans could win titles on the main tour ?. Not a hope in hell. What are you talking about

Don't let it drive you to delusion, man.

Postby snooker_loopy

Ability-wise I think Judd is the most deserving of winning this year's World Championship but I'd love to see Stuart Bingham defy the odds and retain his title.

When Judd Trump is on form I'd rate him the best player since O'Sullivan and Higgins but, as mentioned above, he lacks the killer consistency that the very best players have. He has time to achieve more in the game so you never know what the future holds. Hopefully he can win a few WCs.

Postby SnookerFan

Ronnie79 wrote:His lack of cueball control is what really holds him back. As for the comment only ronnie and robbo can beat him at his best i would not agree with that

:goodpost: