Post a reply

Ding Junhui Watch Thread

Postby SnookerFan

Ding Junhui was looking good for the top-16, until he lost in the first round of the China Open. Mags than made the semis, and consigned him to qualifiers.

He's the highest profile qualifier in my opinion, and I'm sure it'll bring interest to the qualifiers this year.

So, for reasons that'll be understood by other members, I propose a Ding Junhui watch thread. How do people see his results going? Will he qualify? How will he do should he make the venue?

You know the score. ;-)

It's the Ding Junhui Watch Thread. Discuss it all here.

Re: Ding Junhui Watch Thread

Postby PoolBoy

He's been given a great opening draw against Irish amateur, Greg Casey. With due respect to Casey, this should afford Ding a comfortable passage into the next round and give him the chance to gain some confidence and play himself into form.

Without getting ahead of myself, his next opponent is also a game he'll fancy - Ross Muir or Sean O'Sullivan.

But, he's likely to be facing a more seasoned pro in the 'final' - possibly Andrew Higginson / Gary Wilson / Nigel Bond.
Bond might be really motivated to reach the Crucible for the last time, as he suggested earlier in the season that this was likely to be his final campaign - even though he does qualify for the 2016/17 Tour.

But, having now seen Dings draw, I'm much more confident that he'll be at the Crucible!

Postby PoolBoy

SnookerFan wrote:When is the Greg Casey match happening?

I haven't seen any order-of-play times listed yet.
Looking forward to all of this. For the next month, the shortest matches are best-of-19s! :happy:

Postby Dan-cat

PoolBoy wrote:

Looking forward to all of this. For the next month, the shortest matches are best-of-19s! :happy:

Yay to that Poolboy!!!

Guesses for the streams first round - Ding and Nugget?

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:

Yay to that Poolboy!!!

Guesses for the streams first round - Ding and Nugget?

Got to be.

When does it start? Wednesday?

Postby PoolBoy

Yeah! Wednesday...and although, effectively called the 'qualifiers' this IS the start of the World Championship!
Qualifying concludes the following Wednesday, and then the Crucible draw is the next day (Thursday @ 2pm).
The action then kicks-off in Sheffield on the Saturday morning - usually at 10am!

Postby Dan-cat

PoolBoy wrote:Yeah! Wednesday...and although, effectively called the 'qualifiers' this IS the start of the World Championship!
Qualifying concludes the following Wednesday, and then the Crucible draw is the next day (Thursday @ 2pm).
The action then kicks-off in Sheffield on the Saturday morning - usually at 10am!

Damn I love this time of year as a snooker fan!

Postby sundaygirl

So Ding is the new Reanne
I'm so glad we are doing this again
:mex:

Will this thread go all the way to May?

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:So Ding is the new Reanne
I'm so glad we are doing this again
:mex:

Will this thread go all the way to May?

Unless a certain Australian poster who shall rename nameless decides to balls it up again.

I was going to post a Ng On Yee Watch thread, as she is the token female this year. But the original Watch Thread started because I legitimately thought that Reanne being a qualifier was a talking point.

This year's big talking point is Ding being a qualifier.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:All these posts and no one has clarified what kind of watch Ding has.

Digital.

He got it free with his Happy Meal

It has a picture of the Ham Burgler on it. <ok>

Postby PoolBoy

8 matches away from winning the tournament!
It's like starting in Round 1 of the FA Cup for Ding! (and for all the players in this stage)
Except in the FA Cup, the 'big guns' enter in the 3rd Round - but in this, they come-in at effectively the 4th Round stage!
Good Luck Ding!