Post a reply

Controversial viewpoint: ROS mental strength is best on tour

Postby Pink Ball

Given that he plays the most mentally taxing game in the world, and has operated under incredible media scrutiny and expectation - I am in awe of Ronnie O Sullivan as, regardless of his talent, his mental illness should have stopped him from even winning one world title.

Yes, he's had his meltdowns, but I actually think they've been remarkably infrequent, all things considered.

Yet... He gets slammed for being mentally weak? Don't agree with that viewpoint at all.

Re: Controversial viewpoint: ROS mental strength is best on

Postby Andre147

I do get your point mate, and I agree with you to some extent, but the thing is, it's not like no other players have personal problems.

They all have them, yes some more than others like in Ronnie's case, but nobody can deny he's lost many matches when being mentally weak and unable to cope with his opponent's tactics.

Namely 2005 Worlds Quarter-Final v Ebdon, 2005 UK first round v King, 2007 first round Malta Cup v Holt, and so on...

But yes, when he's truly up for the job, he's one of the toughest match players in the game.

Postby Pink Ball

Andre147 wrote:I do get your point mate, and I agree with you to some extent, but the thing is, it's not like no other players have personal problems.

They all have them, yes some more than others like in Ronnie's case, but nobody can deny he's lost many matches when being mentally weak and unable to cope with his opponent's tactics.

Namely 2005 Worlds Quarter-Final v Ebdon, 2005 UK first round v King, 2007 first round Malta Cup v Holt, and so on...

But yes, when he's truly up for the job, he's one of the toughest match players in the game.

I'm not saying he's got the worst personal problems in the game, or that he's the only one who has personal problems. I'm talking from a mental illness point of view - Sullivan's illness has not come from bad life events, it's something from birth that will play havoc with you regardless of how well life is going.

Therefore, I think it's remarkable he's won as much as he has.

Postby Andre147

Pink Ball wrote:
Andre147 wrote:I do get your point mate, and I agree with you to some extent, but the thing is, it's not like no other players have personal problems.

I'm not saying he's got the worst personal problems in the game, or that he's the only one who has personal problems. I'm talking from a mental illness point of view - Sullivan's illness has not come from bad life events, it's something from birth that will play havoc with you regardless of how well life is going.

yes it really is, so I don't buy that theory at all that Ronnie has underachieved.

If anything, he has overachieved. Even him at one point didn't think he could win 1 World Title, let alone 5 and who knows 1 more...

Postby Pink Ball

Andre147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

yes it really is, so I don't buy that theory at all that Ronnie has underachieved.

If anything, he has overachieved. Even him at one point didn't think he could win 1 World Title, let alone 5 and who knows 1 more...

YES! I too think he has actually OVER achieved.

Postby Wildey

in a long career every player has personal issues to deal with that will mean they cant be fussed with snooker but Ronnie despite all that has been able to play outstanding stuff on a more consistent level than most under extreme pressure so yes your viewpoint might be controversial but its the truth.

Postby Pink Ball

Ronnie79 wrote:With the talent he has nobody can say he has over achieved. He should have won the most events in snooker history and he hasnt. He has improved his mental side but no way is he the mentally toughest

Yes, but with such a debilitating mental illness, he could have won no world titles. Even if I had his talent I've no doubt I'd have crumbled under the pressure. Ronnie hasn't, to be fair.