Post a reply

Baic Motor China Open Last 16 !!!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Monday 28th of March ~ Sunday 3rd of April at the Beijing University Students Gymnasium

Stephen Maguire has had a poor season by his standards but the draw has opened up for him this week not only to try and win his 6th ranking title and first in 3 years but also get in to the Top 16 in time for sheffield.

Despite all the shocks quality players remain includes Judd Trump, Marco Fu, John Higgins, Ricky Walden, Graeme Dott and World Champion Stuart Bingham.

But who will make the Quarter Finals?

DRAW

Last 16

Dominic Dale v Stephen Maguire Maguire leads 5-2
Alfie Burden v Rory McLeod McLeod leads 3-0
Judd Trump v Marco Fu Trump leads 11-6
Martin O'Donnell v Mark King Never played before
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Noppon Saengkham v Graeme Dott Dott leads 1-0
David Gilbert v John Higgins Higgins leads 3-1
Tian Pengfei v Ricky Walden Walden leads 3-2
Rod Lawler v Stuart Bingham 2-2

ORDER OF PLAY

Image Image

Re: Baic Motor China Open Last 16 !!!!

Postby Cheshire Cat

Trump v Fu looks like the stand-out match. The winner of that would be heavy favourite against King or O'Donnell.

DomDale is hardly a pushover. Probably a tougher match for Mags than it sounds on paper.

I don't really care about the bottom half. I guess i'd like to see Walden go deep.

Postby hendry_fan

Dan-cat wrote:TWITTER ATTACK

David Hendon ‏@davehendon 1h hour ago

A few schoolboy errors today from Yuan Sijun. Then again, he is a schoolboy.

Wowwww!,i,m impressed,i thought that was pretty funny tbh,Phil Yates BEWARE,you,re gonna get a bit o rivalry from Mr Hendon!. :-D

Postby PoolBoy

<laugh>

It's a real mixed bag of a last-16 draw! A mixture of established names plus a number of players having their best ever tournament.

It's a first appearance in a last-16 for both Martin O'Donnell and Noppon Saengkham.
And for 3 other players, it's a chance to reach their first quarter-final. (of a ranking tournament)
This will be Rory McLeod's 5th attempt to get past this stage, but for Alfie Burden and Tian Pengfei, it's both their 6th attempt!

So, although on-paper, Rory McLeod v Alfie Burden is the least 'attractive' of the matches, it's a big game for both, as the winner will be reaching a career best performance in a ranker.

Postby Wildey

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Are there any players who could break the top 16 by making the final or winning it? Gilbert or Dott should be close enough to have a chance.

Maguire needs to reach the Semi to oust Ding but if Dott or Gilbert wins the tournament then Ding and Mags will be in Ponds Trying to Qualify

Basically as it stands now Michael White, Ding Junhui, Stephen Maguire, Graeme Dott and Dave Gilbert are fighting for 2 spots as a Crucible Seed with it out of White and Ding's hands but they are in position at the moment.

Postby PoolBoy

SnookerFan wrote:So, Dott won?

Yeah, he did! He beat the Chinese youngster. Dott's now due to play Thailand's Noppon Saengkham in the last-16.
I fancy he'll edge that...
After such an ordinary season, it's amazing that Dott could still be seeded for the Crucible - but he has to win the whole event for that to happen!

Postby PoolBoy

I always find it interesting when Wildey posts the head-to-head records before each round. There's always one that 'surprises'!
If you'd asked me who was ahead between john Higgins and David gilbert, I'd obviously have said Higgins! But, it's 3-1 to Gilbert!!

Postby PoolBoy

PoolBoy wrote:I always find it interesting when Wildey posts the head-to-head records before each round. There's always one that 'surprises'!
If you'd asked me who was ahead between john Higgins and David gilbert, I'd obviously have said Higgins! But, it's 3-1 to Gilbert!!

Actually, it's 3-1 to Higgins! Clearly just a 'typo' but from Wildey. But it's 2-0 to Higgins in Ranking events.

Postby GJ

Yes he can imo in good form and decent draw

Postby Cheshire Cat

GJ wrote:Yes he can imo in good form and decent draw

This. His purple patch from early in the season faded after losing to Robbo at the UK (or to White at the Welsh, if you're of the opinion that he was playing well there) and since then he hasn't played particularly well, at least not consistently, but the draw here is very favourable.

Higgins has one of, if not the best B game in the history of the game. I don't think he's playing anywhere near his best in China, but he doesn't need to be at his best to win.

Postby Wildey

PoolBoy wrote:I always find it interesting when Wildey posts the head-to-head records before each round. There's always one that 'surprises'!

that was obviously a mistake lol

it was wishful thinking :-D

Postby Dan-cat

PoolBoy wrote:

<laugh>

It's a real mixed bag of a last-16 draw! A mixture of established names plus a number of players having their best ever tournament.

It's a first appearance in a last-16 for both Martin O'Donnell and Noppon Saengkham.
And for 3 other players, it's a chance to reach their first quarter-final. (of a ranking tournament)
This will be Rory McLeod's 5th attempt to get past this stage, but for Alfie Burden and Tian Pengfei, it's both their 6th attempt!

So, although on-paper, Rory McLeod v Alfie Burden is the least 'attractive' of the matches, it's a big game for both, as the winner will be reaching a career best performance in a ranker.

This is an ace round up Poolboy - thanks. Lot of extra narratives in this tournament!

Postby Cheshire Cat

Woo hoo, Snooker Scene just arrived today. Gives me something to read tonight.

I noticed on a quick skim through that Clive says the viewing figures for the World Grand Prix were 'excellent for a minority channel.' The evening session of the final peaked at 703 000 viewers, which is incredible for a fringe channel. The semis peaked at about 500 000 viewers. When you think that Eurosport UK's Welsh Open Final had (for them) a record 210 000 or something like that, I think ITV did well.

Looking forward to some action today. :hatoff:

Postby Dan-cat

Cheshire Cat wrote:Woo hoo, Snooker Scene just arrived today. Gives me something to read tonight.

I noticed on a quick skim through that Clive says the viewing figures for the World Grand Prix were 'excellent for a minority channel.' The evening session of the final peaked at 703 000 viewers, which is incredible for a fringe channel. The semis peaked at about 500 000 viewers. When you think that Eurosport UK's Welsh Open Final had (for them) a record 210 000 or something like that, I think ITV did well.

Looking forward to some action today. :hatoff:

I love Snooker Scene - and you've just reminded me that I need to change the address of my subscription it's still going to my old one must have missed a few copies - damn.

When you think how many channels and choice people have now 3/4 of a mill is a decent figure.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Seems slow this tournament. Nobody interested?

Bit close to the PTC finals? Are we snookered out?

The time difference doesn't help. I'm off on Friday though so going to set the alarm and watch the lot

<ok> Good man.