Post a reply

Bored.

Postby Master Blaster

I saw a few frames of the final last night but didn't watch it through and saw nothing of the rest of the comp, I was just so bored with it, dunno why. China Open should interest me but no Ronnie/Selby so it's looking a little bit weedie as well. Maybe my zen will return for the Worlds. I hope so!

I haven't posted on here in ages, can't be bothered posting on the snooker forum (too many OCD bores) but I still love snooker and love practising, going through the coach's routines, playing frames.

A league player came up to me and said have you heard Selby isn't playing snooker because of an affair, do you know if it's true? I was like, news to me pal, didn't hear that, I don't have a scooby if that's true. Whereas before, I'd know about these things (I don't think that's true anyway).

Have I got the Ronnie's? Maybe I need a break off snooker altogether, take up fishing or summat?

Re: Bored.

Postby TheRocket

I think, we all can't wait to see the World Championship begin and atm we're just in a period where everything comes across as a little bit boring. And it makes an impact on this forum as well, looking at the lesser number of posters.

After the Welsh Open I haven't seen much quality Snooker and the topplayers have more or less their eyes on the WC now.

Postby Master Blaster

Yeah, I like Allen, he can be funny at times and good value. But I'm thinking, just look at both feet pointing out of dunkin donut, cueing down the side of his face like someone who'd never had a lesson and then we've got tricky ricky, double knee bend, looking shifty on every shot, looking shifty full stop, like a chap with a large mack lined with watches. It's pretty ugly from a technique viewpoint and it wasn't any great shakes by dint of standard, at least the frames I saw, There was just no duel, no love and hate, no pzazz. Like two blokes down the pub playing pool; just not an interest generator. At least Griffiths was happy I guess, more £400hr lessons on the horizon.

Maybe there are too many tournaments now?

Postby pasunegirafe

You and me both. I'm in a bit of a weird funk though and don't really feel like watching any of my favourite sports. Could be because I'm still feeling the after effects of an annoying flu I had a few weeks ago, or that Eurosport NL is showing less snooker on tv and I don't feel like streaming it, or I'm just bored with all these best of 7's lately :zzz: , etc. etc.
Though I admit that if Selby isn't playing, I'll make less effort to watch a match, especially if I can only watch it online.

Postby TheSaviour

If he (Allen) makes it feel boring then he has 100% successed. If you find it boring there is no flaw. I have explained this a million times already, but It doesn´t mean Mark will win every tournament he enters BECAUSE there are many other like Mark out there too. You can always try to figure out the pecking orders, and how big or tiny are the relative strengths.

I must admit I don´t particularly like all those copy-cats, but stating that, it is a relatively obvious they are here to stay. So you just need to try to get on with it. But stating that, it would be a much, much better trying to bring out your own personality insted of trying to copy something. Whether that´s clothing or the moves, or the words and so on.. That would benefit all the people.

But even the very experienced old-timer Professor were left a self-shocked as he met his secret idol, the Essex man.. And he couldn´t find a flaw, so how could some run on the mill student boy who uses computer desk as a dining table eating some rubbish could find a one?? Pathetic, really.

Postby Dan-cat

TheSaviour wrote:
But even the very experienced old-timer Professor were left a self-shocked as he met his secret idol, the Essex man.. And he couldn´t find a flaw, so how could some run on the mill student boy who uses computer desk as a dining table eating some rubbish could find a one?? Pathetic, really.

Agree 100%.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
TheSaviour wrote:

Agree 100%.

The Saviour laying down some truth. <cool>

Postby Vallomas

I also caught myself sticking more on the licescore than needing to watch the TV matches.

I am sure that it's because we are all waiting for the big thing and it's not strange that the majority of the discussion about China Open is about Ding and the danger exiting top 16 than who's going to lift the trophy.

Postby Dan-cat

TheSaviour wrote:...If he (Allen) makes it feel boring then he has 100% successed. If you find it boring there is no flaw. I have explained this a million times already, but It doesn´t mean Mark will win every tournament ...

Saviour - I've told you a trillion times stop exaggerating.

Postby Master Blaster

pasunegirafe wrote:You and me both. I'm in a bit of a weird funk though and don't really feel like watching any of my favourite sports. Could be because I'm still feeling the after effects of an annoying flu I had a few weeks ago, or that Eurosport NL is showing less snooker on tv and I don't feel like streaming it, or I'm just bored with all these best of 7's lately :zzz: , etc. etc.
Though I admit that if Selby isn't playing, I'll make less effort to watch a match, especially if I can only watch it online.

I'm warming to Selby, his grit is good, he maxes his talent, his technique ain't bad for a big man. And he has some character which is what duel contests need to bring out the emotions, love, hate, etc. I just found the Allen/tricky match-up rather dull. If it's Allen v. Trump it can be good, or tricky/ronnie as well.

But both Allen and tricky are flawed by technique and their games will always be limited by these faults, a shame really, they'd be a lot better if they changed after looking at the greats and ace potters/break-builders of todays game. tricky looks like a pool player, Allen looks SEN on the shot. :chuckle:

Postby PoolBoy

Walden's stance is very odd, I must admit!
I've just tried to replicate it there, leaning over a table - and it just doesn't feel steady and is quite difficult to 'hold' - but, I'm not used to that stance. He'll have been like that all his playing career.

But, although not 'textbook', both Allen and Walden are multiple professional snooker ranking winners, so perhaps the emphasis on 'correct technique' and 'coaching' is overrated?
Most snooker manuals would state the importance of a solid-foundation by planting a foot on the floor, with a straight leg. Similarly, the cue should be delivered from under the chin - how Allen can 'sight' his pots is a major wonder for me!

But, there will always be 'mavericks' - there was a golfer called Lee Trevino who won majors despite never having had a lesson in his life - he was self-taught - everything he did was 'wrong' according to the textbooks!

I'm sure if Ronnie had never gone pro and had instead remained at home until now, and turned up for a lesson, stating "I'm mainly right-handed, but play a lot of shots left-handed", he'd be told, "you need to cut that out, now!"

I like to see players that are different, and If I may say, I think your boredom, Master Blaster is because you're more of a Ronnie fan than a snooker fan.
There. Someone had to say it!

Postby Master Blaster

I do like Ronnie but no-one should ignore good technique. Players max their potential with good technique, that's why Alex only won two world titles, Jimmy 0, Allen and Walden 0, Judd with his twistgrip 0. Ronnie (not perfect technique but very good) 5, Hendry and Davis (both very good technique (13) and Reardon (6), not forgetting Smurf, Robbo and Selby (all solid technique). Each should play comfortably and naturally with what they use but if you can get used and comfortable with good technique, there are major advantages. Some players grow up with poor technique but due to great ability, they still make it in the game such as Alex. But poor technique and appproach undoubtedly limited the world titles he won just as Jimmy's long cueing harmed his ablity in the balls (only 1 sketchy maxi).

I love the mavericks, I adored Jimmy's pots and power but I wouldn't choose to play that way. Tried it and it was horrible, same with Higgin's finger off the cue. Just shows how naturally talented they were and how much more they would/should have won. Neither does Ronnie (a great student of technique). He's seen every coach under the sun, altered his stance, bridge arm and grip down the years. He now plays with a looser rear finger grip and his long game has really improved (ala Judd/Robbo). When he was on song (making maxis in 5mins) he could make the game look easy. Now, his technique is more deliberate, more reliable and brings more consistent results and more titles in old age. If only he'd done this work when younger. This is the proof of the technique argument. We could also talk about having the right approach to the game of course.

Postby Wildey

you know what i see posts like this every year and by the second round of the world championship people are distraught because so many big names lost.

anticipation never lives up to expectation.

I Love snooker for what it is never look ahead its one match one tournament at a time....ive never really thought much about the crucible yet China Open is the no 1 at the moment.

Postby Gridlock

Wildey wrote:you know what i see posts like this every year and by the second round of the world championship people are distraught because so many big names lost.

anticipation never lives up to expectation.

I Love snooker for what it is never look ahead its one match one tournament at a time....ive never really thought much about the crucible yet China Open is the no 1 at the moment.

Me thinks Mr Blaster is so much of a drama queen :-D

Postby Dan-cat

Hello Master Blaster :)

At this time of year I find the race to the Crucible exciting, and which people are going to stay on tour etc

I follow Matt, formerly of Pro Snooker Blog, who know works for the WPBSA who details these extra narratives throughout the year - read his blog here: http://www.wpbsa.com/blog

This pours extra excitement into matches I wouldn't otherwise be too interested in - right now the 'will Mags steal Ding's crucible place' is a tasty storyline and the pressure Mags will be under to do this will tell in every shot.

I never get too excited about the China tournaments. I'm not sure why really. Maybe it's the fact that all play is done by midday so I can't really watch much, the poor attendance from the crowds doesn't help either. Last night I watched the Bingo match but I already knew the result. Nice breaks he made though.

Postby Dan-cat

'tricky ricky, double knee bend, looking shifty on every shot, looking shifty full stop, like a chap with a large mack lined with watches.'

This made me giggle. He really does belong on Only Fools and Horses :)

Postby Dan-cat

I also follow Matt on Twitter, who just posted this:

Matt ‏@ProSnookerBlog 38m38 minutes ago
Looking at Maguire's draw, he needs to beat Dale/Hill, then Dunn/McLeod/Burden to break into the top 16 as it stands...

Postby Master Blaster

Yeah, China is a strange one, lots of folk playing C8 ball and snooker but not many fans in the audience. Over here, we've got the opposite, lots of armchair fans who will go to matches but snooker clubs closing all the time. The two cultures are somewhat different!

Postby Ronnie79

How can someone say ROS does not have a great technique. Murphy, Lee and ROS have the 3 greatest cue actions in the modern era.

Postby Master Blaster

Ronnie79 wrote:How can someone say ROS does not have a great technique. Murphy, Lee and ROS have the 3 greatest cue actions in the modern era.

If he had perfect technique he wouldn't have been constantly altering things for most of his pro life. Same with tips and cues, he's tried everything. If you look closely, you will see that ROS employs elbow drop, taught to him by Del Hill. This is a no-no for almost all World Snooker coaches. It's a moot point, so I don't say Del is right and WS wrong, it's one of those ones, it's down to what works for the player. ROS has also loosened his grip (a huge part of cue action) after watching Robbo and Judd a lot. It's helped his long game no end. His technique is very good, just not the best for me. If his technique and mind were maxed he would have won a dozen worlds by now.

Top three for me would be Hendry, Lee and Jimmy. The last two are uber smooth, timing and power but Hendry was one who had such good technique that made up for less talent than say the Ronnies/Jimmys. Robbo also cues very well, as can Judd when he gets his faulted twist grip right, like he did in China.