Post a reply

Re: Will Ding Junhui win the World Championship the year?

Postby PoolBoy

He needs a decent 'run' in the China Open to even guarantee his place at The Crucible - he's currently occupying the 16th slot.

If he slipped into the qualifiers, he should still be able to qualify...but, that's the sort of environment where things could get uncomfortable for him. Fortunately, they're best-of-19s and his quality should take him through, in the end.

I'd just be glad to see him in the tournament, for now. But, I can't see him going the distance there.
It's certainly possible, for a player of his undoubted calibre, to play himself into the tournament - and it wouldn't be a huge shock to see him at the single-table semi-final stage.

But, for me, that's where it would start to unravel for Ding.
The enormity of what he was close to achieving would be evident - and that eye would start twitching (!) and he'd start twitching....

I just can't see him winning a semi-final over 33 frames; I'm certain he'd be beaten at that stage.
So,.....I'll also go for a NO to the question!

Postby votesforgoats

I doubt it. Watching him in the last couple of tournaments he played very well up to meeting another top 16 player (excepting the very out of sorts Michael White) and then it was over. He is of course a wonderful break builder, but seems like the rest of his game, whether it's due to mental difficulties or not, isn't as strong. I can't really see him beating Ronnie, Trump (if he's anywhere close to last year anyhow), Robertson or Selby.

Postby Andre147

eraserhead wrote:Will Ding Junhui make it to the crucible this year? :chin:

:-(

Yeah, it's by no means a certainty he'll make it, nevermind winning it.

I'm strongly beggining to think he'll never win this title, in the past I had some doubts, but nowadys I have more and more reasons to be doubtful. It would be such a shame, along with Jimmy White, probably the best player never to win it.

Postby Dan-cat

Andre147 wrote:Yeah, it's by no means a certainty he'll make it, nevermind winning it.

I'm strongly beggining to think he'll never win this title, in the past I had some doubts, but nowadys I have more and more reasons to be doubtful. It would be such a shame, along with Jimmy White, probably the best player never to win it.

He did make 6 finals. He's in another league. As Neal Foulds said, I'd have taken that!

Postby Pink Ball

Roland wrote:I strongly fancy him to qualify. Whether he goes all the way depends on the draw. He has his bogey players as most top pros do

Although I'm a huge fan of his, I'm convinced he will never win it. Though I do think he will qualify this year.

Postby TheSaviour

Ding vs Selby is (if..) certainly the final featuring best 2 players this time. I reckon Selby will win it because he has the momentum right now. The Jester from LEICESTER.. And so on..

But it certainly is superlative stuff what Ding has played. Actually it is such a superlative stuff that I personally would like to know where that really COMES FROM. Where do he gathers it? It would be good to get EVEN some kind of an aswer. Perhaps Ronnie finds it out when he soon travels to China to play some exhibition-matches in different cities out there. It is similar when the lads are looking the source of the Nile somewhere in mid-Africa. It is not necessarly so straight-forward what is the source of the Nile. Perhaps somewhere nearby the Lake Victoria. I suppose. What we do know is that the Nile empties into the Mediterranean Sea.

Postby stateofwonder

TheSaviour wrote: But it certainly is superlative stuff what Ding has played. Actually it is such a superlative stuff that I personally would like to know where that really COMES FROM. Where do he gathers it? It would be good to get EVEN some kind of an aswer. Perhaps Ronnie finds it out when he soon travels to China to play some exhibition-matches in different cities out there. It is similar when the lads are looking the source of the Nile somewhere in mid-Africa. It is not necessarly so straight-forward what is the source of the Nile. Perhaps somewhere nearby the Lake Victoria. I suppose. What we do know is that the Nile empties into the Mediterranean Sea.

Saviour, you are certainly producing superlative stuff - this one is almost poetic. Keep up the good work