Post a reply

Ladbrokes Players Championship Last 32!!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Tuesday 22nd of March ~ Sunday 27th of March at Event City, Manchester

Last time the Players Championship will be played as part of the European Tour/PTC Series with 32 players competing, from next season only 16 players will take part and qualifying will be all tour Ranking events from the start of the season including the World Grand Prix which will be played just prior to it.

But back to this year and theres a few Big name players missing notable absentees are Ronnie O'Sullivan and Neil Robertson who both opted out of the European Tour this season playing just 1 match between them Neil Robertson lost 4-3 to James Cahill in Gibralter.

John Higgins, Stephen Maguire, Stuart Bingham and defending Champion Joe Perry on the other hand failed to qualify

But despite absentees there is plenty of quality on show headed by Ladbrokes World Grand Prix Champion Shaun Murphy, Mark Williams, Mark Allen, Ricky Walden, Judd Trump, Ding Junhui, Ali Carter, Graeme Dott and Barry Hawkins.

Who will reach the last 16?

DRAW

Last 32

Mathew Selt v Andrew Higginson Higginson leads 3-0
Ben Woollaston v Jimmy Robertson Robertson leads 2-1
Mark Williams v Dominic Dale Williams leads 14-4
Shaun Murphy v Liang Wenbo Liang Wenbo leads 4-3
Mark Allen v Mark Davis Allen lead 8-2
Mark King v Sam Baird Never played before
Ryan Day v Kyren Wilson Day leads leads 4-1
Rory McLeod v Mike Dunn 2-2
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Marco Fu v Alan McManus Marco Fu leads 7-3
Tom Ford v Ricky Walden Ford leads 3-2
Martin Gould v Judd Trump Trump leads 9-5
Allister Carter v Graeme Dott Dott leads 6-4
Ding Junhui v David Gilbert Gilbert leads 3-1
Michael White v Luca Brecel White leads 2-0
Tian Pengfei v Robert Milkins 1-1
Barry Hawkins v Michael Holt Hawkins leads 6-1

ORDER OF PLAY

(For viewers outside the UK)

Image Image

Re: Ladbrokes Players Championship Last 32!!!

Postby SnookerFan

RANDOM THOUGHTS!

Mark Selby v Andrew Higginson - I am surprised their head to head is so close.

Mark Allen v Mark Davis Allen - I am surprised their head to head isn't closer.

Mark Williams v Dominic Dale Williams leads - Battle of the Welshies. :D

Shaun Murphy v Liang Wenbo Liang Wenbo - Could be a good'un.

Marco Fu v Alan McManus - I wonder if they'll get John Higgins in to provide analysis until Angles goes out.

Martin Gould v Judd Trump Trump - I wouldn't be surprised if Gould takes this. (Another prediction from me, ha ha.)

Some decent matches there, in principle.

Postby Wildey

if the Players Championship was played this season like it will be next season the 16 players that would qualify are

John Higgins
Neil Robertson

Martin Gould
Kyren Wilson
Liang Wenbo
Joe Perry
Mark Selby
Mark Allen
David Gilbert
Judd Trump
Marco Fu
Ronnie O'Sullivan
Luca Brecel
Shaun Murphy
Ding Junhui
and Stuart Bingham

Players in red will not be in Manchester competing for the players championship

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:if the Players Championship was played this season like it will be next season the 16 players that would qualify are

John Higgins
Neil Robertson

Martin Gould
Kyren Wilson
Liang Wenbo
Joe Perry
Mark Selby
Mark Allen
David Gilbert
Judd Trump
Marco Fu
Ronnie O'Sullivan
Luca Brecel
Shaun Murphy
Ding Junhui
and Stuart Bingham

I agree. It's pathetic.

Players in red will not be in Manchester competing for the players championship

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Between the WGP and UK Open darts before it I must have seen that ad about 40 times in little over a week. It's not on any other stations I watch so I won't be seeing it this week and I wonder if they'll still be showing on ITV4 next week.

Postby SnookerFan

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Between the WGP and UK Open darts before it I must have seen that ad about 40 times in little over a week. It's not on any other stations I watch so I won't be seeing it this week and I wonder if they'll still be showing on ITV4 next week.

Is everything going your way?

Postby Cheshire Cat

David Hendon is reporting on Twitter that ITV have supposedly gotten Stephen Hendry onto their punditry / comms for the PTC Finals coverage. Would be a massive steal if true.

Postby Cheshire Cat

SnookerFan wrote:I thought Hendry hated the PTCs. rofl

These were my thoughts too!

I feel bad for MJW. He has been winding people up and trying to land himself a spot on ITV comms ever since the Grand Prix. <laugh>

Postby Wildey

Cheshire Cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I thought Hendry hated the PTCs. rofl

These were my thoughts too!

I feel bad for MJW. He has been winding people up and trying to land himself a spot on ITV comms ever since the Grand Prix. <laugh>

Hendry loves winding up Mark lol

Postby MarkoPiet

thecueview wrote:Does anybody what criteria the Players Championship will be played under next year? Presumed it may be something to do with the Home Series...maybe a Home Series FInals?

Invitational event for the top 16 on the one-year list. Source: PSB.

Edit: invitational isn't perhaps the best word to use, restricted could be better.

Postby SnookerFan

It'll be interesting to see how Hendry slots in to the ITV commentary team.

When he first started commentating for the BBC, he was still playing so often had pertinent things to say about the current players because he was used to playing them. Especially when he was playing in the qualifiers, he brought a level of knowledge to the lower ranked players that the rest of the BBC just couldn't be bothered to research.

However, I think it has become a bit more BBC since he retires. It becomes a bit more obvious he doesn't really watch much snooker outside of what he's paid to. And I think he has started betraying a slight distate for seeing lower ranked players do well.

Saying that, he's still one of the best commentator that the BBC have. (Not that that's saying much.) And ITV do tend to go for a commentary team of one journalist/one ex-player. His role will probably be more to provide shot by shot analysis during the game whilst somebody like Everton provides more historical context. That'll probably suit Hendry's strengths more as the most successful player ever. When a seven time World Champion criticises a shot, you have no choice but to listen.

Postby Cheshire Cat

SnookerFan wrote:Shaun Murphy weighs in on his opinion, on something or other.

http://www.mancunianmatters.co.uk/conte ... ime-public

Murphy is just so.. politically correct.

Did anyone see the Twitter vid yesterday of him raving and pumping his fist to music on the lawnmower while he cut the grass? <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Cheshire Cat wrote:
Murphy is just so.. politically correct.

Did anyone see the Twitter vid yesterday of him raving and pumping his fist to music on the lawnmower while he cut the grass? <laugh>

Just toadying up to Manchester in order to promote the event. I don't really see any real problem with it. Being that Murphy loses sleep at night if he's given his opinion on less than fifty things a day, World Snooker might as well use it for something useful, I guess.

Postby Andy Spark

I've certainly noticed Murphy has more to say than the other players...well, he feels he has more to say...well, he opens his mouth more...

Postby SnookerFan

Andy Spark wrote:I've certainly noticed Murphy has more to say than the other players...well, he feels he has more to say...well, he opens his mouth more...

Isn't noticing that Murphy has a lot to say, a bit like noticing that snooker is played with cues on a table? It's kind of hard to not notice. <laugh>

Postby PoolBoy

This is the best time of the year for snooker fans! This competition starts tomorrow until the 27th, with the China Open starting on the 28th! And although a good tournament in its own right, will inevitably be seen as preparation for the Crucible - or a scramble for points to make the top 16!
After China, there's just a 3-day-break before the World Championships begin. Technically, it's qualifying, but with the players ranked 17-32 in at the first stage, it's pretty much the start of the Worlds, for me.

Postby Cheshire Cat

Trump has gotten a new tip on his cue. Thankfully this is ITV and not BBC, or we'd be stuck listening to the ins and outs of how a new tip affects a player. I've lost count of how many times i've heard Taylor spend entire sessions at the Crucible talking about a new tip affecting this shot and that. :chuckle: *Cough* ROS v MJW 2012 *Cough*

Postby Andre147

PoolBoy wrote:This is the best time of the year for snooker fans! This competition starts tomorrow until the 27th, with the China Open starting on the 28th! And although a good tournament in its own right, will inevitably be seen as preparation for the Crucible - or a scramble for points to make the top 16!
After China, there's just a 3-day-break before the World Championships begin. Technically, it's qualifying, but with the players ranked 17-32 in at the first stage, it's pretty much the start of the Worlds, for me.

Mate often the World qualifiers produce even more excitment than the Worlds itself.

Everything is at stake there, so much drama and tension in some of their matches, it's an event in itself and better than most events on the calendar for me.

I always try to watch the World Qualifiers when I can, and one day I definately want to go to the venue to watch it live, even more so because it's free or very cheap anyway the tickets.

Postby SnookerFan

stateofwonder wrote:This is for SF - I can understand most of the pet names for snooker players ;-) here on the forum, but where does selecta! for Liang Wenbo come from?

It was coined by Eurosport announce Colin Murray. Based on the song Bo Selecta.

Postby SnookerFan

I like the fact that the Semi finals best of 11 frames, Final best of 19 frames. :D Hopefully, will be able to spend all day Sunday watching the final. :D

I wonder if that's why Hendry agreed to do it. :hatoff: