Post a reply

Why some great players never become world no. 1?

Postby 151kbar151

Shaun Murphy, Jimmy White, Alex Higgins, Terry Griffiths...
This question came on my mind after I realized that Mark Selby is world no. 1 with 6 ranking titles, while Murphy with also 6 titles was highest 3rd... And White with 10 titles was highest no. 2...

Re: Why some great players never become world no. 1?

Postby PoolBoy

The ranking system has had two hugely significant changes in recent years.
The 'prize money' system has obviously been implemented now, whereas previously it had been based on points gained from ranking events.
But perhaps more pertinent to the question; the big change was the introduction of fluid rankings. The list is 'effectively' updated after every professional match played! A player's ranking can fluctuate throughout the season.
But in the not-so-distant past, players would be ranked on their end-of-season position - and that was it!
Jimmy White, would, I'm sure, have been no.1 rated at some stages of his career in what we now call the Provisional Rankings (but which didn't count then as an official ranking - he would have to have remained there until the end-of-season list to be credited with it).

I'm surprised that you're surprised to see Selby at no.1 - he's been end-season no.1 for 3 years now, and is on-track to do it again! http://cuetracker.net/Rankings

Postby Sickpotter

Consistency..and who you're up against.

For example had Hendry not been around, White would've made #1.

Players need to win 3+ rankng/big events in a season to contend for the number one spot and they need to do it in consecutive seasons....at least with the old ranking system.

I think with the money list rankings we could see someone winning two big events and top the list.

Postby Cloud Strife

Sickpotter wrote:Consistency..and who you're up against.

For example had Hendry not been around, White would've made #1.

Players need to win 3+ rankng/big events in a season to contend for the number one spot and they need to do it in consecutive seasons....at least with the old ranking system.

I think with the money list rankings we could see someone winning two big events and top the list.

Or in Selby's case, win no big events for a year and top the list. Hendry as well, iirc, got to number one without anything about 10 years ago.

Postby Wildey

Alex Higgins would have been World no 1 after winning the World Title in 1982 had it not been for 2 ranking points deduction from WPBSA after a disciplinary hearing in 1981.

Postby TheSaviour

151kbar151 wrote:Shaun Murphy, Jimmy White, Alex Higgins, Terry Griffiths...
This question came on my mind after I realized that Mark Selby is world no. 1 with 6 ranking titles, while Murphy with also 6 titles was highest 3rd... And White with 10 titles was highest no. 2...

Shaun Murphy certainly won´t end his career with just one world title. I don´t know if he is ever to become world no.1. He might, but then he might not.

But what amuses me is the fact how people are failing to realise that one should never have a laugh at some one person expense. Beacause.. Because the western world societies works in a way where having a laught at someone´s expence is an assault against the whole society. That´s why you shouldn´t never write anyone off or think that somene is rubbish. I personally always try to encourage and push people. Is Reanne Evans doing that on a womens tour since she is so supreme out there? I don´t think so.

The law system always needs to react if someone, no matter who, is being physically assaulted. That´s why it is always a gone case having a laugh at someone´s expense. Because there always will be effects, and a human intuition calculates that "what if..?"

Postby Sickpotter

TheSaviour wrote:
151kbar151 wrote:Shaun Murphy, Jimmy White, Alex Higgins, Terry Griffiths...

Shaun Murphy certainly won´t end his career with just one world title. I don´t know if he is ever to become world no.1. He might, but then he might not.

But what amuses me is the fact how people are failing to realise that one should never have a laugh at some one person expense. Beacause.. Because the western world societies works in a way where having a laught at someone´s expence is an assault against the whole society. That´s why you shouldn´t never write anyone off or think that somene is rubbish. I personally always try to encourage and push people. Is Reanne Evans doing that on a womens tour since she is so supreme out there? I don´t think so.

The law system always needs to react if someone, no matter who, is being physically assaulted. That´s why it is always a gone case having a laugh at someone´s expense. Because there always will be effects, and a human intuition calculates that "what if..?"

rofl

Classic Saviour....WTF man? :shrug:

Postby SnookerFan

TheSaviour wrote:Shaun Murphy certainly won´t end his career with just one world title. I don´t know if he is ever to become world no.1. He might, but then he might not.

:goodpost:

I couldn't agree more.