Post a reply

Do you agree?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes : 6

Does Mark Selby need to loose no. 1 spot to retrieve form?

Postby 151kbar151

I think yes, because he needs to find new motivation and have some change to this routine. I also think that he is pressurized by his no. 1 spot because everyone expects him to win every tournament he enters.

Re: Does Mark Selby need to loose no. 1 spot to retrieve for

Postby Andre147

When I read this my first thought was "no" he definately doesn't need to lose his number one spot.

But actually thinking harder about it, Selby has never been great when the expectation is on him. I think he's now used to being WN1 because he's been in that position for quite a while now, if I'm not mistaken only MJW, Higgins, Ronnie, Davis and Hendry have had more time.

But if he were to lose it, maybe that would make him work harder (if that's possible) to regain good form back.

Having said all this, I don't think the WN1 is his main reason for not winning titles. The main reason is he simply hasn't been good enough, especially on breakbuilding department, running out of position often against top players.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

He was No.1 for over a year around 2011-12 and the only title he won was the Paul Hunter Classic. Then Trump knocked him off the top in early November. Selby went on to win the UK & Masters plus a PTC in between. When he won the world title Neil Robertson was world No.1 and I think Ding was looking likely to get it soon.

Postby TheSaviour

I really don´t understand people who think there should be or be some sort of winning machine, a reigning King (or a Queen) who wins everything. For example, the last week Grand Prix winner Shaun Murphy is CERTAINLY one of the best there are, but certainly he also like people Mark Selby, John Higgins, Mark Williams, Ronnie O´Sullivan or Ding Junhui all have a patches where they get ousted during the earlier stages of tournaments regurlarly. Where does that sort of a thinking model comes from? Probably from the school world. But the school world isn´t about competition, it is about many other things, but not competition. There are bogeymans to the different players. For example, I personally always fancy Murphy to beat Selby, andMaguire to beat Murphy. It is just how their games and approaches spams out. It is nothing to do how good someone is or isn´t.

Jimmy the Genius White, or Jimmy "the Whirlwind" White is just a lovely, incredible cueist. While he is on-song he just pots just totally incredible balls, and usually gets the position recovered also, which he quite often requires. Reanne Evans seems to have that same ability. I do understand when people and fans are die-hard fan of those players. But obviously they do also get beat and ousted. Reanne seems to be winning everything at the moment. But that just womens tour. I don´t know if they have really understood the real competition there.. Reanne could come and try her luck once again against the people like Shaun Murphy, John Higgins or Mark Selby.. First she should get through from the qualifiers. Which she so far hasn´t manage to do.

Let´s face it, Shaun Murphy will always have his fierce opposition. That doesn´t mean anything, but that´s the way it is. People are bigging up the guys like Mark Selby just to make Shaun feeling uncomfortable and not so self-confident.

Postby Wildey

Ronnie79 wrote:For a start Selby is not expected to win every event he enters. What a silly thread this is

its a fair question and a fair thread if you dont like a thread dont comment on the thread,every player at the top of a sport is expected to win that's why they are where they are

please read this to understand that simple task viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6450

"If the topic doesn't interest you, don't feel you have to post in it. How simple is that to understand?"

as mods we will decide whats acceptable and not.

Postby Cheshire Cat

I don't see why he should. Rankings are very superficial under the new prize money system and a load of dross, but that's another matter altogether.

All the other players will know that he's one of the best players in the game. Even ROS says he /is/ the best match player on the tour (Masters interview) and i've been trying desperately to find it (it was either the Masters or on a Eurosport comms), but he also said that if Mark could just score heavier more consistently, he would be the best player in the game right now. Coming from ROS, that's a bit of a compliment.

Selbs is still the best all-round and consistent player for me, he just doesn't /score/ consistently enough when he's in the balls.

Postby Wildey

Yea his scoring power has been a big let down for a few seasons now but despite that he is the leading century maker of the season with 38 from Judd Trump on 35. During 2014/2015 season he made just 33

that just shows how great he could be without the constant bad positional shot that has cost him.

Postby TheRocket

Mark Selby isn't playing badly this season which he himself also said a few times in interviews.

He was playing absolutely allright but was still humiliated by an in-form Ronnie O'Sullivan in two quarter-finals, so was he in the UK-semi against Neil Robertson and John Higgins in the International Open-semi.

So he lost to the right people you can say. And if people say that he lost to Tom Ford in the Grand Prix. First of all it was a bo7 match. And you'll always have 1 or 2 tournaments per season where you lose to players you don't expect to lose against. Even ROS and Robbo (two current best players) know what I'm talking about.

There are no worrying signs at all with Selby in my eyes. He's still playing at a standard which can win him titles.

Postby Wildey

Selby is not playing alright hes making school boy errors with Break building all the time something he never used to do dont know if thats pressure of being no 1 and looking over his shoulder all the time i dont know but hes a much better break builder than ive seen of late

Postby Cheshire Cat

In his latest ES piece (which is actually a decent read), ROS had this to say about Mark: "Mark Selby (2014 world champion) is another player.. who looks to be playing okay. I like Selby’s game now, I've enjoyed watching and learning from him, he has so much going for him that makes him the fierce competitor he is."

It's not like ROS's word is the word of God or anything, but as long as Selby remains as gritty as he is, I think he'll always be there or-there-abouts and winning events. Having a bit of a run at the PTC finals or China Open would certainly do no harm.