Post a reply

Re: Ladbrokes World Grand Prix Quarter Finals !!!

Postby Cheshire Cat

Yates talking some dross. It's becayse Murphy said last night after his match that he considered Liang a 'bogey' player because their head-to-head is so close and for some reason, Foulds was making a big fuss of that.

Postby SnookerFan

Cheshire Cat wrote:Yates talking some dross. It's becayse Murphy said last night after his match that he considered Liang a 'bogey' player because their head-to-head is so close and for some reason, Foulds was making a big fuss of that.

So they're just making it up? <doh>

Postby SnookerFan

Cheshire Cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:How are people finding the addition of Phil Yates to ITV coverage?

I've never minded him as much as most people, but just seen him as a general Eurosport and crappy Sky Sports tournament bod. My main complaint with him has been his voice isn't that pleasant for a commentator. rofl

I've been mostly watching 7pm matches this week, and he's been commentating with Neal Foulds for the most part. I can imagine if I watched him all the time, he'd start to grate. I know some people hates that he bangs on about stats, but that doesn't bother me. It shows he knows more about the sport than the BBC mob. But his rubbishy puns don't come across well. Last night he was on about the colour of Selby's waistcoat for a couple of minutes. I went for a slash, came back, and he was still on about it, rofl

I like to bash him, but in fairness he's not /that/ bad. It's exactly as you say though -- the more you hear him, the more he can start to annoy. McManus, Foulds and Everton more than make up for him though. The only Beeb commentators I like are Kendo, Hendry and Davis, all the others are big no-nos:

Virgo: just doesn't hush up about balk-cushion and cue ball
Taylor: he's not actually a bad commentator, but he talks so much about golf and things other than the match
Parrott: bearable except when commentating on ROS

Actually, he is annoying me tonight. With his fictitious rivalry talk, and snowball related banter.

Postby SnookerFan

stateofwonder wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:You go on about a lot Murphy.

Me or HF? I really wanted Liang to win that match :sad:

Neither.

Murphy said "We go on a lot about cue control."

I was meaning to point out Murphy goes on about a lot.

Postby Gridlock

SnookerFan wrote:
Cheshire Cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:How are people finding the addition of Phil Yates to ITV coverage?

I've never minded him as much as most people, but just seen him as a general Eurosport and crappy Sky Sports tournament bod. My main complaint with him has been his voice isn't that pleasant for a commentator. rofl

I've been mostly watching 7pm matches this week, and he's been commentating with Neal Foulds for the most part. I can imagine if I watched him all the time, he'd start to grate. I know some people hates that he bangs on about stats, but that doesn't bother me. It shows he knows more about the sport than the BBC mob. But his rubbishy puns don't come across well. Last night he was on about the colour of Selby's waistcoat for a couple of minutes. I went for a slash, came back, and he was still on about it, rofl

I like to bash him, but in fairness he's not /that/ bad. It's exactly as you say though -- the more you hear him, the more he can start to annoy. McManus, Foulds and Everton more than make up for him though. The only Beeb commentators I like are Kendo, Hendry and Davis, all the others are big no-nos:

Virgo: just doesn't hush up about balk-cushion and cue ball
Taylor: he's not actually a bad commentator, but he talks so much about golf and things other than the match
Parrott: bearable except when commentating on ROS

Actually, he is annoying me tonight. With his fictitious rivalry talk, and snowball related banter.

Guess I'm glad I don't get commentary. There's talk about snowballing?