Post a reply

Will the World Championship will ever leave The Crucible?

Postby SnookerFan

Do you think that the World Championship will ever leave The Crucible?

It's only contracted to next years isn't it? But it's been "leaving The Crucible" ever since I started going in 2006, where they talked about it going to China. That wasn't serious, and I can see it's contract getting extended after next year.

But can you imagine in ever not being played in Sheffield?

Re: Will the World Championship will ever leave The Crucible

Postby whitespider

Do I want it to leave the Crucible? - Not really as I live quite close to Sheffield and go every year.

Will it ever leave the Crucible? - Yes, it will at some point. And I can understand the arguments of why it should.

Will it leave in the next ten years? - Definitely not in the next five I think but I wouldn't bet on it being in Sheffield in 10 years time.

Postby SnookerFan

Muppet147 wrote:It will be moved to China.

They've been saying that for years, to be honest.

The Crucible is the one tournament that sells out. If they do move it, which would be a massive mistake, I can see it being because they want to move it somewhere with higher capacity. Can't see it being in China though. That doesn't sell out the other tournaments it has.

Postby Cheshire Cat

For me there's just nothing like the final session of the World Championship at The Crucible, when introducing the players. The atmosphere is just surreal in that last session. Mind you, the Alexandra Palace for the last session of the Masters this year was quite something too.

I watch quite a lot of sports, but I don't think anything gives me chills as much as the WSC and a big part of that is the atmosphere that The Crucible creates. You can feel the history and tradition, even if you're just watching from a TV at home.

It could definitely leave one day, but it would be a blow to the game, no doubt about that.

Postby Muppet147

SnookerFan wrote:

The Crucible is the one tournament that sells out. If they do move it, which would be a massive mistake, I can see it being because they want to move it somewhere with higher capacity. Can't see it being in China though. That doesn't sell out the other tournaments it has.

I was kidding. No way snooker will leave the Crucible.

Postby SnookerFan

Muppet147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I was kidding. No way snooker will leave the Crucible.

Oh I see.

Top banter.

Postby Andre147

It should never leave the Crucible. I know it's called the "World Championships" and therefore if it was being held in a diferent country each year I wouldn't be against that idea.

But the thing is, The Crucible is now part of the Worlds history. I compare it to Wimbledon and the All England Club. Will The Championships ever leave Wimbledon? No they won't it, Wimbledon is it's hall if you like.

I hope it never leaves The Crucible, but if one day it does leave, I would be strongly in favour of the idea I mentioned above.

Postby Wildey

Ronnie79 wrote:Wimbledon is played at wimbledon totally different to the world championship which has had so many different venues. Its not called the crucible championship

No But young players first ambition is to play at the crucible.

not only British youngsters but from all over the world.

Its part of snooker and snooker is part of the crucible take one from the other and its like taking a heart from a human body.

Postby SnookerFan

I don't understand this idea that because it's the World Championship it's got to be played in lots of different countries.

As long as it's open to every player, than it's a World Championship. The World Championship is about the best players in the world competing for the top honour, in my opinion. The venue doesn't changes that. That's what happens.