Post a reply

New Record! 24 consecutive top level pro match wins.

Postby Andy Spark

I think that Ronnie has the record with 24 consecutive professional match wins at the top level (i.e. not in just qualifying). Bearing in mind that Hendry's run of 36 Ranking match wins was interrupted by non-ranking match losses.

Re: New Record! 24 consecutive top level pro match wins.

Postby Cloud Strife

I've done some research on snooker.org, Wikipedia etc and I can't find a longer streak than Ronnie's 24.

Hendry had a loss in something called the Norwich Union Grand Prix invitational event during his run of victories in rankers, so it's definitely not him that has the record.

I find it amazing that there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to this question.

Postby Andy Spark

Cloud Strife wrote:I've done some research on snooker.org, Wikipedia etc and I can't find a longer streak than Ronnie's 24.

Hendry had a loss in something called the Norwich Union Grand Prix invitational event during his run of victories in rankers, so it's definitely not him that has the record.

I find it amazing that there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to this question.

Hendry's 36 were interrupted by more than one loss according to my research from cue tracker, he didn't manage 24 on the spin because there were losses in, for example the 1990 World Matchplay (Dec 15th 9-18 to Jimmy White) and a one frame event on Sep 26th. That is why I claim Ronnie's 24 as a record and subject it to review here.

Postby Andy Spark

PoolBoy wrote:Chris Turner's Snooker records website, although no longer updated, lists Ronnie's 38 as the record!
(last section - MISCELLANEOUS). http://www.cajt.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Records.html#MISC

This website was considered the 'authority' on all-things snooker, until the he (Chris Turner) sadly passed-away.

I guess that just further muddies-the-water!

That is why I put in "top level", 38 I suppose would be a record but as they were all in qualifying it isn't really played at the "top level".

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:I don't think Crondon Park should be included in 'top level' wins.

It's not about top level or not, it's about professional wins, and Crondon Park is included in those.

I don't know if these 24 are a record or not, but nevertheless it's a great achievment.

Hendry's 30 odd ranking sucessive match wins (excluding the non-ranking losses in between) is a much better record to have on your CV of course.

But Ronnie deserves every credit too. :hatoff:

Postby Wildey

Andre when Robbo made thoes 100 tons in a season you said CL tons shouldn't be counted and you was right i would prefer a bit of consistency when talking about records or tournaments.

Ive never put any importance or relevance on the championship league it should be scraped its the biggest rubbish and waste of time in snooker history.

its payed practice and when TV puts together Head to Head records they discount them out of hand.

in my mind Ronnie is undefeated in 2016 after 11 Matches played.

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:Andre when Robbo made thoes 100 tons in a season you said CL tons shouldn't be counted and you was right i would prefer a bit of consistency when talking about records or tournaments.

Ive never put any importance or relevance on the championship league it should be scraped its the biggest rubbish and waste of time in snooker history.

its payed practice and when TV puts together Head to Head records they discount them out of hand.

CL should only be scrapped if it gets replaced with something better. No point getting rid of it just for the sake of it. Unless you prefer having an empty space in the calendar?

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:Andre when Robbo made thoes 100 tons in a season you said CL tons shouldn't be counted and you was right i would prefer a bit of consistency when talking about records or tournaments.

Yes I'd agree with that, he remains undefeated after winning Masters and Welsh Open. The WGP will be the one where we'll truly see if he can keep that eun going or not.

And Yes I did say that more than once, quite often actually, and I maintain every word I said. Those wins and tons are counted, but they probably shouldn't. For instance, most of us never take any notice when talking about head to heads and the CL results never come into the equation.

Hopefully WGP he can strech that to 16 matches won. <ok>

Postby PoolBoy

The prize money totals are perhaps the biggest indication of how 'farcical' the tournament is.
I hadn't followed the CL before but was interested in keeping the money totals this year after reading on this forum that the winner doesn't necessarily take-home the most money! I think Robert Milkins was the example of a player who built up a substantial total by losing continually in each group!
In no way am I suggesting it was on purpose, but rather, he just came up short on many occasions.
This season's prize money has seen the final group players (happily) being the top 7 earners, but it's still skewed, with the runner-up effectively coming 4th and Mark Selby coming 2nd despite not making the play-offs!
Any tournament with that record loses all credibility and I don't think results in it should 'count'.
I regard a 'win' in snooker as knocking-out your opponent. In a league system, a player is simply getting points in the group. For example, part of this apparent 24 game run for Ronnie, included a 'win' against Trump in the CL...but he didn't actually beat Trump because Judd ended up winning the tournament!
I doubt Ronnie himself even recognises the 24 match winning streak! It's simply Andy Spark feeling sore and scrambling about looking for some comfort for his pain!

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:I don't think Crondon Park should be included in 'top level' wins.

It's not about top level or not, it's about professional wins, and Crondon Park is included in those.

I don't know if these 24 are a record or not, but nevertheless it's a great achievment.

Hendry's 30 odd ranking sucessive match wins (excluding the non-ranking losses in between) is a much better record to have on your CV of course.

You were the one who brought up the term 'top level'. rofl

Postby Andy Spark

I think "top level" needs to be differentiated from "important". The Championship league is an unimportant event with flaws in its format, but I believe it qualifies as "top level" because you are playing the "top" ranked players in the world in a main tour event (or pro) event. In other words, it is an official main tour event with "top level" opposition.

By the same token, Ronnie's early career 38 qualifying wins in succession, although they may have been in important events, cannot be deemed "top level" because the top ranked players were specifically removed from this qualifying process.

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:

CL should only be scrapped if it gets replaced with something better. No point getting rid of it just for the sake of it. Unless you prefer having an empty space in the calendar?

Why?

its the only tournament where playing in it takes second place to doing the washing or stay in bed

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

Why?

its the only tournament where playing in it takes second place to doing the washing or stay in bed

So you would prefer to just have an empty space in the calendar?

Its a rubbish tournament, don't get me wrong, but I would always advocate filling up a calendar with events rather than having nothing. It's up to the players whether they play in it or not. It's up to the fans whether they watch it or not.

Better to have that choice, IMO.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

You were the one who brought up the term 'top level'. rofl

Huh?? No I wasn't, Andy Spark was the one. :wave:

Postby Andy Spark

vodkadiet wrote:I would say that O'Sullivan's 38 consecutive wins join qualifying were more impressive. He was only 16 and they were real matches, unlike The Croydon Park garbage!

It was extremely impressive certainly, but remember there is a difference in the average level of qualifying opposition that resulted from the opening up of the game in that season and the quality you would face in qualifying now. A lot of those players Ronnie faced would be nowhere near good enough to get on the main tour these days.

Postby TheSaviour

The more I think about all-time the most ranking titles list, the more "right" and correct it seems to be. Goes without saying that not exactly correct, and I don´t even believe any voodoos, hoodoos or magic like that, that everything and every list would be a dead right.

Hendry 36
John Higgins 28
O´Sullivan 28
Steve Davis 28
Williams 18
Junhui 11
Robertson 11
White 10

So there´s 10 or over 10 ranking tournament wins. I have never understood a band-wagon which says that O´Sullivan would had under achieved. Actually I see John Higgins a slightly stronger player than Ronnie, mainly because of John´s extremely consistent high level of safety play and the way he blends it basically perfectly. It blends perfectly, John´s safety game. When Williams beat Ronnie 3-0 last week, it summed up perfectly Ronnie´s weaknesses and how vulnerable actually Ronnie´s game is. On each frame Ronnie was first in, and scored something, something like 15, 20 or 25, but then during the break-building he missed some almost sitter under the pressure which playing against an in-form Mark Williams just produces. And each time Mark punished him so well that it just can be done, a flawlesses and stylishes counter-clearences. 70 or 80 breaks. Those sort of breaks which once made Mark so famous, respected or even feared opponent. He used to make those 70 or 80 breaks like no end. Tournament after the tournament.

Ronnie can be really proud that is on par with John Higgins and well ahead of Mark Williams. And I can´t see any reasonable argument why Stephen shouldn´t top that list, that´s how good he just used to be.

Those Championships League Finals is one of Ronnie´s definitely favourite tournament. The format. It is almost the same as Premier League used to be and which Ronnie won, what, 10 or 11 times. So he certainly was all in there, and really fancied the job. A runner-up, so not bad at all. But there really is some flaws and vulnerability on Ronnie´s game and snooker. I would from now on expect at least Mark Selby, Mark Williams and John Higgins to beat him more often than not. I have always think that Ronnie might be a really canny and clever or even a flawless if hew would work with some computer-gurus or some business-idea launchers. But there is some flaws when he PLAYS the GAME (snooker).... Goes without saying that it is a really good and hot prospect always, but still.... He has not under achieved.

Postby masterdoctorgenius

saviour wrote the biggest shiit on the snookerisland so far. well done. not under achieved? Higgins better than him? vulnerable under pressure cause he lost to MJW 0-3 at crondon?

When did u start watching snooker. Even if u had started this year the matches at the masters and at the Welsh proved how much better he is than the rest. regarding pressure: do some google research

Postby SnookerFan

masterdoctorgenius wrote:saviour wrote the biggest shiit on the snookerisland so far. well done. not under achieved? Higgins better than him? vulnerable under pressure cause he lost to MJW 0-3 at crondon?

When did u start watching snooker. Even if u had started this year the matches at the masters and at the Welsh proved how much better he is than the rest. regarding pressure: do some google research

Give the guy some credit. At least what he wrote was coherent.

Postby PoolBoy

It's an intriguing 'stat' between Ronnie and John Higgins! Both 40-years-old and both with exactly 38 ranking tournament wins...and counting!
Ronnie will certainly win more 'rankers' - there could even be another one this Sunday - but I think Higgins will also add more before he thinks about 'hanging-up his cue'.
However, I can't see Higgins threatening Hendry's 36, but it could still be attained by The Rocket, if he's got the motivation to go for it. If (and when) he gets to 30 titles, I can see him really wanting it!
Even at the rate of 'only' 2 ranking-wins per season, he could get close!

Postby TheRocket

Poolboy. I don't think Ronnie necessarrily has to end up winning more ranking titles than Higgins. Higgins is playing every ranking tournament while ROS skips tons of them. I think, it's fair to say that Ronnie could have had 30 by now. I'm not saying he would surpass Hendry but looks like ROS isn't really too obsessed with the number of ranking titles.

He's definitely more obsessed with the 7 World titles. One more Welsh Open or German Masters is great and satisfying but it would't really add anything to the prestige or reputation he already has in the game as a man who has won 28 ranking titles.

Only winning the World title will make him even a bigger player than he already is. Same for Higgins who is in a similar situation.

Postby Andy Spark

With the changes Hearn has made to the game, when it comes to chasing title records the young players these days have more or less no chance. Not a player under 40 who's a multiple world champion now, or who's won more than 11 rankers. It'll get more and more difficult unless changes are made. And snooker as a popular sport is probably moribund too, who wants to tune in to watch ranked 24 take on ranked 57. That's the trend. ;(