Post a reply

Re: Championship League 2016 !!!!

Postby TheRocket

Not much Ronnie can do about this frame though. Have to give credit to Trump for winning this in one visit. Ronnie had his chance in the last frame to win the match.

Postby eraserhead

Judd wins, very efficient in the last frame and he gets in to the champion of champions.

Postby Andy Spark

Oh, well, best of 5 is hardly a proper test, we'll give this one to Trump because winning unimportant best of 5 tournaments like this Championship league is the only thing that little rubbish is good enough to do.

Postby Cheshire Cat

Well played Judd Trump! Good to see him in the CoC next year.

I do wish Hendon (this match) and others would stop patronising all the other players though. They all know this is only a best of 5, none of them are going to go home buzzing and jumping with joy about beating ROS (or ant other player) in a best of 5.
Last edited by Cheshire Cat on 03 Mar 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby kolompar

Good to see Trump finally win something, hope he can do well at the World Championship.
Also, we've got to see how Phil Yates looks, the man behind that annoying voice.

Postby TheRocket

With Trump it's really a thing of consistency. We know how good he can be which he showed in the Masters by beating the form player Robertson. But couldn't produce in the next match.

Needs to fix that and he could win any tournament.

Postby masterdoctorgenius

Cheshire Cat wrote:Well played Judd Trump! Good to see him in the CoC next year.

I do wish Hendon (this match) and others would stop patronising all the other players though. They all know this is only a best of 5, none of them are going to go home buzzing and jumping with joy about beating ROS in a best of 5.

judd will. he hardly wins any tournaments these days.

Postby SnookerFan

Andy Spark wrote:Oh, well, best of 5 is hardly a proper test, we'll give this one to Trump because winning unimportant best of 5 tournaments like this Championship league is the only thing that little rubbish is good enough to do.

rofl :roll:

Postby Andy Spark

Cheshire Cat wrote:Well played Judd Trump! Good to see him in the CoC next year.

I do wish Hendon (this match) and others would stop patronising all the other players though. They all know this is only a best of 5, none of them are going to go home buzzing and jumping with joy about beating ROS (or ant other player) in a best of 5.

Yes, I'd also like to point out that the resident snooker "statistician" Hendon is talking utter crap. He stated in commentary that the run of 36 matches by Stephen Hendry would mean Ronnie would have to win the World Championship to beat it. As usual Hendon has his facts wrong. Hendry NEVER won 36 consecutive professional matches. IT'S A SIMPLE FACT. As much as Hendon likes to think he did he should check his facts before spouting crap.

Postby Andy Spark

SnookerFan wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:Oh, well, best of 5 is hardly a proper test, we'll give this one to Trump because winning unimportant best of 5 tournaments like this Championship league is the only thing that little rubbish is good enough to do.

rofl :roll:

It's true and Hendry never won 36 consecutive matches like Hendon thinks he did.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andy Spark wrote:

Yes, I'd also like to point out that the resident snooker "statistician" Hendon is talking utter crap. He stated in commentary that the run of 36 matches by Stephen Hendry would mean Ronnie would have to win the World Championship to beat it. As usual Hendon has his facts wrong. Hendry NEVER won 36 consecutive professional matches. IT'S A SIMPLE FACT. As much as Hendon likes to think he did he should check his facts before spouting crap.

Indeed.

What part of CONSECUTIVE matches is Hendon not able to grasp?

Postby NNear

Andy Spark wrote:

And what was the most Hendry or S.Davis (or J.Davis) managed, then?

Postby Andy Spark

Cloud Strife wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:

Indeed.

What part of CONSECUTIVE matches is Hendon not able to grasp?

Thanks, maybe I was a little hard on Trump, shouldn't have called him a little rubbish. <laugh> But it annoys me when people give themselves title like "statistician" and they don't know their facts. Ronnie was on this run and we NEVER got to know what the record was, we still don't know what the actual record is, Ronnie may have it with 24, I don't know.

Postby Andy Spark

NNear wrote:And what was the most Hendry or S.Davis (or J.Davis) managed, then?

I don't know. I know that Hendry's run was only in ranking matches, he lost non-ranking matches between ranking match wins, (for example the 1990 World Matchplay final he lost 9-18 to Jimmy White on 15th Dec 1990.) A ranking match run is a very different thing to Ronnie's consecutive matches.

Postby Wildey

Just because a player you don't like wins doesn't give you the right to call him a little rubbish.

if anyone deserves that title its you.

Postby Wildey

Andy Spark wrote:

Adding crap like this tournament to consecutive match wins is just as crap..

Currently Ronnie is on 11 unbeaten run in 2016

Postby Andy Spark

Wildey wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:

Adding crap like this tournament to consecutive match wins is just as crap..

Currently Ronnie is on 11 unbeaten run in 2016

You might ask why Robertson should have his centuries from this added to make his 100? The fact is this tournament counts, it is not an important tournament, but it is still a proper professional event with top level opposition.

Postby PoolBoy

Snooker.org cites both Hendry and Ronnie's successive win streaks. http://www.snooker.org/Plr/records.shtml (near the foot of the page)

Longest Unbeaten Run
From 17 Mar 1990 to his defeat by Jimmy White on 13 Jan 1991, Stephen Hendry won five successive titles and 36 consecutive matches in ranking tournaments. During the summer of 1992, Ronnie O'Sullivan won 38 consecutive matches, but these were in qualifying competition.

Postby Andy Spark

PoolBoy wrote:Snooker.org cites both Hendry and Ronnie's successive win streaks. http://www.snooker.org/Plr/records.shtml (near the foot of the page)

Longest Unbeaten Run
From 17 Mar 1990 to his defeat by Jimmy White on 13 Jan 1991, Stephen Hendry won five successive titles and 36 consecutive matches in ranking tournaments. During the summer of 1992, Ronnie O'Sullivan won 38 consecutive matches, but these were in qualifying competition.

These are different records and not comparable: Ronnie's 38 match run is not at the top level (only qualifying matches) and Hendy's run is only ranking matches. Hendry's 38 RANKING match run includes losses, they are NOT CONSECUTIVE wins.

I believe Ronnie's 24 wins is a record unbeaten run at the top-level, but I am not certain. I have posted it in discussion.

Postby PoolBoy

Prize money final total:

Mark J. Williams £21,700 (semi-finals)
Mark Selby £21,400
Judd Trump £20,400 (winner)
Ronnie O'Sullivan £16,100 (runner-up)
Matthew Selt £12,600 (semi-finals)
Stephen Maguire £9,200
Ali Carter £8,900
Kyren Wilson £8,700
Mark Davis £7,900
Ricky Walden £7,600
Dominic Dale £5,600
Michael Holt £5,300
Robert Milkins £5,100
Liang Wenbo £5,000
Graeme Dott £3,700
Joe Perry £3,300
Michael White £3,300
Neil Robertson £3,300
Barry Hawkins £2,000
Stuart Bingham £1,700
Fergal O'Brien £1,500
Ryan Day £1,200
Martin Gould £1,100
David Gilbert £1,000
John Higgins £900
Marco Fu £600
Ben Woollaston £600

Postby Cheshire Cat

This was the first CL tourney that I watched, it's a shame the final was only best of 5. The standard was really high and ROS and Trump were both playing as though it were a big ranker that they both wanted to win. I'm kinda' sitting here wishing it was a little longer tbqh.

^Also, that's criminal that the actual winner of an event can earn less than those he's beaten to get there.

Postby QSM

PoolBoy wrote:Prize money final total:

Mark J. Williams £21,700 (semi-finals)
Mark Selby £21,400
Judd Trump £20,400 (winner)
Ronnie O'Sullivan £16,100 (runner-up)
Matthew Selt £12,600 (semi-finals)
Stephen Maguire £9,200
Ali Carter £8,900
Kyren Wilson £8,700
Mark Davis £7,900
Ricky Walden £7,600
Dominic Dale £5,600
Michael Holt £5,300
Robert Milkins £5,100
Liang Wenbo £5,000
Graeme Dott £3,700
Joe Perry £3,300
Michael White £3,300
Neil Robertson £3,300
Barry Hawkins £2,000
Stuart Bingham £1,700
Fergal O'Brien £1,500
Ryan Day £1,200
Martin Gould £1,100
David Gilbert £1,000
John Higgins £900
Marco Fu £600
Ben Woollaston £600

Well done Mark Williams on being the real winner of the championship league.

Postby Andy Spark

I have done some research now and I'm claiming 24 consecutive match wins at top level as a new record. :D

Postby Wildey

Andy Spark wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:Snooker.org cites both Hendry and Ronnie's successive win streaks. http://www.snooker.org/Plr/records.shtml (near the foot of the page)

Longest Unbeaten Run

These are different records and not comparable: Ronnie's 38 match run is not at the top level (only qualifying matches) and Hendy's run is only ranking matches. Hendry's 38 RANKING match run includes losses, they are NOT CONSECUTIVE wins.

I believe Ronnie's 24 wins is a record unbeaten run at the top-level, but I am not certain. I have posted it in discussion.

buck sakes does it matter <doh>