Post a reply

The 1985 final revisited. Again.

Postby SnookerFan

Snooker Champions Steve Davis and Dennis Taylor to re-live 1985 snooker World final in Northampton

On May 13, The Cheyne Walk Club in Northampton will be transported back to 1985 and the black-ball final of the World Snooker Championship.

This is the day when renowned Snooker Champions Steve Davis and Dennis Taylor will once again draw the crowds to the Annual Snooker Club Dinner with an exciting Exhibition match.

Those who are lucky enough to reserve a ticket will witness a rerun of what fans say was the most famous snooker final ever, the Black-ball final of 1985.

You may remember Davis dropped only 23 frames en-route to the final and looked set for a third consecutive world title after an opening session of near-faultless snooker gave him a 7–0 lead over Dennis Taylor, which he extended to 8–0 in the evening session.

However, Taylor recovered to trail only 7–9. From 11–11 the pair traded frames before Davis forged ahead to lead 17–15. Taylor won the next two frames to level the match at 17–17 and forced a deciding frame.

With the scores close, Taylor potted the final colours to leave the black as the winner-takes-all ball.

After a series of safety shots and attempts at potting it, Davis over-cut the black, leaving Taylor with a reasonably straightforward pot to secure the championship.

That nail-biting finale drew 18.5 million viewers, a record post-midnight audience on British television.

Adam Finch, the club's Chairman said: "Steve has been coming to The Cheyne Walk Club since the 1990s, but this will the first time we will have seen him play a re-run match with Dennis Taylor in our snooker room.

"Michaela Tabb is our regular referee and I can sense that tensions will be high until the last ball is potted."

Tickets are being reserved for Club members in the first instance at £55 for the main room and £45 and £35 for the smaller dining room.

This includes a three course meal and Steve and Dennis talking about their past experiences in the game, as well as being able to watch the exhibition matches after the dinner.

The Cheyne Walk Club has seen the movers and shakers of Northampton play some of the greatest names in world snooker for decades, a fact that is supported by the many photos adorning the walls of the fully equipped snooker room, who knows, these legends may be looking down at possible budding Champions in the making.

The last word is from Steve Davis, he said, "I am really looking forward seeing old friends at the club and chatting to them over dinner, I always feel comfortable playing here, I've been coming here so long, it's like coming home".

http://www.northampton-news-hp.co.uk/Sn ... story.html

Re: The 1985 final revisited. Again.

Postby SnookerFan

Does this really need revisiting? Them two haven't stopped talking about it since. rofl

They should've got Joe Johnson in, do the 1986 instead. Just for a bit of variety.

Postby Pink Ball

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:I'd forgotten about the 1985 final. Good thing they reminded me.

I've never even heard of it.

Great match, quality wasn't the best but that didn't matter. Taylor was 8-0 down at one point but the match went all the way down to the final black would you believe! Davis missed a 95/100 cut on the black to the top right corner and Taylor duly claimed the title.

Pity people don't talk about it more.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Does this really need revisiting? Them two haven't stopped talking about it since. rofl

They should've got Joe Johnson in, do the 1986 instead. Just for a bit of variety.

Well you do a pretty good job of revisiting it with this thread.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Does this really need revisiting? Them two haven't stopped talking about it since. rofl

Well you do a pretty good job of revisiting it with this thread.

Thanks, man. <ok>