Post a reply

Re: Gdynia Open (Kreativ Dental Clinic ET 6) !!!

Postby Cloud Strife

PoolBoy wrote:Agree - outstanding effort from Selby - proving yet again why he's the game's top rated player.

Great win for Selby. I expect him to ram home his dominance by winning the Championship League next. And then the PH Classic and Riga Open the following season.

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:Agree - outstanding effort from Selby - proving yet again why he's the game's top rated player.

Great win for Selby. I expect him to ram home his dominance by winning the Championship League next. And then the PH Classic and Riga Open the following season.

There's an invitational taking place on eight-foot tables in Stoke next week. You can be sure Selby will be there to underline his credentials as the world's best snooker player.

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

There's an invitational taking place on eight-foot tables in Stoke next week. You can be sure Selby will be there to underline his credentials as the world's best snooker player.

:clap:

Postby Holden Chinaski

Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

:clap:

pmsl

Postby PoolBoy

Pink Ball wrote:Selby has proven fuckall by winning a competition in some eurovision loving shithole. O'Sullivan is the best player in the world by a mile.

You really are quite 'challenged'; but ironically you think you're edgy and funny. :sad:

Poland is not a shithole, nor is it 'Eurovision loving'. It's appeared 6 times this century in Eurovision.
Wales has a richer pedigree and history in the event - but it doesn't necessarily follow that the Welsh Open is totally worthless. Granted, it's a glorified PTC and is little different to the event Selby's just won. It follows a similar 128 knockout format playing first-to-4, until the first-to-5 quarters in Wales.

I understand the Welsh is a ranking event, but it's not one of the bigger tournaments.
Yet here's what MasterBlaster had to say about it:
"How does the grand prix count more than the welsh simply because of the prize fund. The grand prix has a money list qualification rather than a proper 128 qualification and it won't feature ROS from what some are saying. The Welsh was a proper open, a national tournament and it did have ROS. It's worth twice as much kudos to me as a result."

Haven't seen that particular 'fan' since the Welsh! Odd? Even stranger, will be his sudden interest in the Grand Prix now that Ronnie's playing! But, I'll remind him of his true feelings for the event, should Ronnie triumph! :-D

Selby's no.1 in the rankings - that's indisputable. He's been in the prestigious end-of-season top spot for 4 consecutive years. Ronnie's NOT the best player in the world by a mile. He's not even the best player in the world. <laugh>
To have a claim on that, he'd have to be either World Champion or World Ranked no.1...it needs to be earned, not bestowed upon him by fanboys who otherwise have no interest in the game.

The sooner he quits, the better. At least the forum would be populated by proper snooker followers who post reasoned discussions. Of course, there are a few exceptions, but most are variations on...."Ronnie's the GOAT, buck Selby, Higgins choked again hahahahaha...Blob! C'mon Ronnie, he was so unlucky there with a kick even though as the best cueist ever seen he never gets kicks blah, blah, blah...."

Postby Pink Ball

PoolBoy wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Selby has proven fuckall by winning a competition in some eurovision loving shithole. O'Sullivan is the best player in the world by a mile.

You really are quite 'challenged'; but ironically you think you're edgy and funny. :sad:

Ronnie's NOT the best player in the world by a mile. He's not even the best player in the world. <laugh>
To have a claim on that, he'd have to be either World Champion or World Ranked no.1...it needs to be earned, not bestowed upon him by fanboys who otherwise have no interest in the game.

I'm very sorry my knowledge of Eurovision was a bit off.

I'm not a Ronnie fan, in fact I'd much, much prefer if Ding or Trump won the world title this year, amongst others. But O'Sullivan is the best player in the world, and if not by a mile, then by five miles. I don't like that, but it's true.

He's a hell of a lot better than Selby right now, that's for certain (no disrespect to Selby who has been the world's best player at times in the past and will be again at some point).

By the way, if you were the 'real' snooker fan you claim to be, you'd be all about Ronnie as much as everyone else. As someone who's passionate about snooker, I love watching it being played well - and nobody does it better than Ronnie right now.

Even if he is a cockerel.
Last edited by Pink Ball on 29 Feb 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Cloud Strife

PoolBoy wrote:

Poland is not a shithole, nor is it 'Eurovision loving'. It's appeared 6 times this century in Eurovision.
Wales has a richer pedigree and history in the event - but it doesn't necessarily follow that the Welsh Open is totally worthless. Granted, it's a glorified PTC and is little different to the event Selby's just won. It follows a similar 128 knockout format playing first-to-4, until the first-to-5 quarters in Wales.

I understand the Welsh is a ranking event, but it's not one of the bigger tournaments.
Yet here's what MasterBlaster had to say about it:
"How does the grand prix count more than the welsh simply because of the prize fund. The grand prix has a money list qualification rather than a proper 128 qualification and it won't feature ROS from what some are saying. The Welsh was a proper open, a national tournament and it did have ROS. It's worth twice as much kudos to me as a result."

Haven't seen that particular 'fan' since the Welsh! Odd? Even stranger, will be his sudden interest in the Grand Prix now that Ronnie's playing! But, I'll remind him of his true feelings for the event, should Ronnie triumph! :-D

Selby's no.1 in the rankings - that's indisputable. He's been in the prestigious end-of-season top spot for 4 consecutive years. Ronnie's NOT the best player in the world by a mile. He's not even the best player in the world. <laugh>

The sooner he quits, the better. At least the forum would be populated by proper snooker followers who post reasoned discussions. Of course, there are a few exceptions, but most are variations on...."Ronnie's the GOAT, buck Selby, Higgins choked again hahahahaha...Blob! C'mon Ronnie, he was so unlucky there with a kick even though as the best cueist ever seen he never gets kicks blah, blah, blah...."

The forum would be dead, with about 3 posters remaining.

Postby Pink Ball

PoolBoy wrote:

If we accept that to be true, how would it be ironic?

To be expected coming from someone who said Ronnie O'Sullivan couldn't be the greatest of all time just because you don't like him.

Postby Vallomas

I would like to see Gould lifting another trophy, but he was unable to follow Selby's better tactical game.

Selby was good in the whole season but he couldn't reach a final until yesterday. I don't know if this win will give him more confidence.

Postby SnookerFan

I find the people getting the hump about Selby winning this tournament a bit baffling. Of course it doesn't prove he's the greatest player of all time, just because he won this. But the way people are acting on here suggests that winning this proves he's a bad player. That's not true either.

It's not like this is the only thing he's ever won in his career. Or that anybody is suggesting winning a PTC is the same thing as winning the World Championship.

At the end of the day, when you've been struggling for form, winning a tournament that more than 100 players have entered is going to be welcome for Selby. Why does it have to be anything more than that?

Postby Pink Ball

SnookerFan wrote:I find the people getting the hump about Selby winning this tournament a bit baffling. Of course it doesn't prove he's the greatest player of all time, just because he won this. But the way people are acting on here suggests that winning this proves he's a bad player. That's not true either.

He's a fine player. I've the hump over someone claiming he's the world's best player right now. He is in his buck. Anyone at this moment in time who claims Sullivan isn't the best player in the world is either deluded or jealous, or both.

Postby Andy Spark

Of course Selby was a little unlucky to have to face the best player in the world at the last two major events at just the quarter-final stage. With an official ranking of one, you would hope to avoid such things. But when Ronnie isn't playing he can win. :-)

Postby SnookerFan

Andy Spark wrote:Of course Selby was a little unlucky to have to face the best player in the world at the last two major events at just the quarter-final stage. With an official ranking of one, you would hope to avoid such things. But when Ronnie isn't playing he can win. :-)

Was Ronnie not playing in the 2014 Crucible, the 2008 Welsh Open or the 2010 Masters?

Postby Andy Spark

SnookerFan wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:Of course Selby was a little unlucky to have to face the best player in the world at the last two major events at just the quarter-final stage. With an official ranking of one, you would hope to avoid such things. But when Ronnie isn't playing he can win. :-)

Was Ronnie not playing in the 2014 Crucible, the 2008 Welsh Open or the 2010 Masters?

Form comes and goes, as you know. But it's also clear that not only has Ronnie had the best of their past encounters but Ronnie would be big favourite now.

Postby Muppet147

I think Selby has a better chance against Ronnie in the longer session matches. He's demonstrated this by beating him at the Crucible twice.

I don't really enjoy their contests though, to be honest.

Selby seems to grind Ronnie down and the frames get scrappier and scrappier, as Ronnie weakens.

Could be a different story though this year at the Crucible as Ronnie has thrashed Selby twice this year and definitely has the upper hand.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:He's certainly in the best form, just like Robertson was in the best form in November and December.

You have to remember though that Sullivan wasn't playing at that point.

I hadn't forgotten.

Postby SnookerFan

I never really seem to understand this Selby vs Ronnie thing. They are two separate players. Selby just beat Gould. What's that got to do with Ronnie?

It seems that since Selby won, all we've done is discussed what we thought of Ronnie, a player who wasn't even there.

Postby Pink Ball

Muppet147 wrote:I think Selby has a better chance against Ronnie in the longer session matches. He's demonstrated this by beating him at the Crucible twice.

Totally fair point. But at that time Sullivan struggled against Selby in matches of all lengths. He's improved a lot against Selby.

Postby Pink Ball

SnookerFan wrote:I never really seem to understand this Selby vs Ronnie thing. They are two separate players. Selby just beat Gould. What's that got to do with Ronnie?

It seems that since Selby won, all we've done is discussed what we thought of Ronnie, a player who wasn't even there.

True enough, I'm not trying to start that, if anything it's Poolboy putting them in opposition again.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:True enough, I'm not trying to start that, if anything it's Poolboy putting them in opposition again.

No, his saying this event proves that Selby is the best player in the world was over the top.

It's a good win, though, even if it doesn't prove anything. Winning some tournament, any tournament, when you've been struggling for form has to be good. Let's see if Selby can kick on now.

Postby LC

The longer matches against Ronnie defo suit selby more best of 25 and 35, he's shown he has the staying power to take Ronnie out, best of 17 and 19 Ronnies got the edge

Postby Skullman

Was very busy over the weekend and didn't catch any of it. But well done Selby.

It's not the biggest tournament, but if he turned up he may as well win the thing.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:True enough, I'm not trying to start that, if anything it's Poolboy putting them in opposition again.

No, his saying this event proves that Selby is the best player in the world was over the top.

It's a good win, though, even if it doesn't prove anything. Winning some tournament, any tournament, when you've been struggling for form has to be good. Let's see if Selby can kick on now.

you see thats why i was against Money being used to determine who the No 1 is.

Mark Selby is still no 1 based on a tournament that happened almost 2 years ago in Sheffield so in a way we are back to where we was before Rolling Rankings where its not indicating who the best players are.

World no 1 Selby and World no 2 Bingham its not at all a indication of who the best and most successful current players are is it.

Postby Wildey

Pink Ball wrote:That's true Wild, but I don't think any rankings system would have the world's best player as number one because Sullivan doesn't play often enough. That's his fault - not that it worries him.

Ronnie quite clearly is the best player in the world but no matter how great you are if you dont play you cant be no 1.

But even had he played he would have needed to win probably another 3 ranking events including the UK to overtake Selby.