Post a reply

Who's going?

Postby Master Blaster

No, not the members, the pros. Nothing on the WS site that I can see. Top 32 invited first but who will show up?

Re: Who's going?

Postby whitespider

The Top 32 are only determined after Gydnia I think? But for the ones guaranteed to qualify I heard on the grapevine that the deadline for potential entry is today. I concede I could be talking rubbish on that last point.

Postby SnookerFan

TWITTER ATTACK!

Ronnie O'Sullivan Big thanks to the Sheffield academy in Morocco who have moved the legends show for me to 9th April. Means I can now play in the Grand Prix

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:TWITTER ATTACK!

Ronnie O'Sullivan Big thanks to the Sheffield academy in Morocco who have moved the legends show for me to 9th April. Means I can now play in the Grand Prix

Hahaha Ronnie. How to ruin the day of the other 31 contestants. :)

Postby Cloud Strife

Dan-cat wrote:

Wonderful news. :D

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Cloud Strife wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

Wonderful news. :D

Indeed!

Postby Wildey

fantastic news indeed.

ronnie wanting to play as appose nothing better to do because he did have a exhibition lined up

Postby vodkadiet

Another glorified PTC.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:Another glorified PTC.

It can't be a glorified PTC since only 32 players are allowed in it, instead of the usual 128.

I think this does deserve to be a ranking event, it's a reward for the best 32 players of the season. Trump may feel bad about this because last year it wasn't a ranker, but so would many other players in their careers when a tournament they won wasn't a ranker until a year or so later.

Postby Wildey

yea its by no means a glorified PTC 32 players and only 2 tables.

PTC is about 128 to 250 players and about 10 or 11 tables.

i do however think Barry Hearn has a Best of 7s fetish that needs to be treated its becoming embarrassing now.

Postby SnookerFan

Personally, I don't think it's fair that an invitational carries ranking points. But that's just my opinion.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

SnookerFan wrote:Personally, I don't think it's fair that an invitational carries ranking points. But that's just my opinion.

But in that case the PTC Grand Finals also aren't allowed to carry ranking points.

Postby SnookerFan

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Personally, I don't think it's fair that an invitational carries ranking points. But that's just my opinion.

But in that case the PTC Grand Finals also aren't allowed to carry ranking points.

The PTC Grand Finals aren't really the same thing, in my opinion. The PTC is like a several month long, several legged ranking event that's open to everybody.

Adding ranking points to the Grand Prix is like adding them to The Masters. It seems to go against Hearn's philosophy of no protection for the top players. Here he's giving the top 32 the ability to earn ranking points, that everybody else can't.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:Adding ranking points to the Grand Prix is like adding them to The Masters. It seems to go against Hearn's philosophy of no protection for the top players. Here he's giving the top 32 the ability to earn ranking points, that everybody else can't.

I disagree on this one. They've earned their place in the tournament based on ranking, why shouldn't it carry points? All tour players had a chance to get into it.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

The PTC Grand Finals aren't really the same thing, in my opinion. The PTC is like a several month long, several legged ranking event that's open to everybody.

Adding ranking points to the Grand Prix is like adding them to The Masters. It seems to go against Hearn's philosophy of no protection for the top players. Here he's giving the top 32 the ability to earn ranking points, that everybody else can't.

World Grand Prix is the same.

at the start of the season everyone starts on Zero Points and they accumulate points the same way as the PTC but they incorporate full ranking events.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:World Grand Prix is the same.

at the start of the season everyone starts on Zero Points and they accumulate points the same way as the PTC but they incorporate full ranking events.

No, I got what was being said. Hence I added the, "in my opinion".

Let's ask this then. Who thinks we should make the Masters a ranking event now? (Keeping it the same format.)

Postby Dan-cat

I don't know why the Masters isn't included in the money list. There is so much fuss made of the scramble for the last 16 in the run up to the masters, it's not like everyone doesn't have the same chance. Same for the CoC.

Perhaps then the ranking list would actually reflect a lot closer who's the very best in the world. Selby being at number 1 for example having not won a tournament this season is a bit of a farce, especially after being taken apart quite so comprehensibly by Ronnie and Robbo in their last few matches.

Postby Dan-cat

In my brave new world, Ronnie would be Number 1 (having just won the Masters and the Welsh), and Robbo Number 2. Which oh-my-god-sh*t-the-bed is actually a true reflection of the current best two players.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:In my brave new world, Ronnie would be Number 1 (having just won the Masters and the Welsh), and Robbo Number 2. Which oh-my-god-sh*t-the-bed is actually a true reflection of the current best two players.

Don't take this the wrong way, Dan-Cat, but you do often give the impression your posting on this forum whilst hiding in a tree in Ronnie's back garden. <laugh>

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:In my brave new world, Ronnie would be Number 1 (having just won the Masters and the Welsh), and Robbo Number 2. Which oh-my-god-sh*t-the-bed is actually a true reflection of the current best two players.

Don't take this the wrong way, Dan-Cat, but you do often give the impression your posting on this forum whilst hiding in a tree in Ronnie's back garden. <laugh>

Ronnie has no tree in his back garden. He had it removed...

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I'll bow to your superior expertise. rofl

Postby Dan-cat

Hehehe he hasn't got a garden. He lives in a flat on Broadway Market in Shoreditch, London. I just moved to be within 5 minutes walk of him.

It's true, I love him unconditionally. But then I love everyone unconditionally, but that's a separate point, that I could expand upon if you wish. It doesn't mean I like everyone though.

Besides that, do I make any sense re the money list? It seems so simple to me. Can someone please explain to me, like I'm a 6 year old, why it doesn't make sense? I'm always open to have my mind changed if presented with fresh evidence.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Hehehe he hasn't got a garden. He lives in a flat on Broadway Market in Shoreditch, London. I just moved to be within 5 minutes walk of him.

It's true, I love him unconditionally. But then I love everyone unconditionally, but that's a separate point, that I could expand upon if you wish. It doesn't mean I like everyone though.

Besides that, do I make any sense re the money list? It seems so simple to me. Can someone please explain to me, like I'm a 6 year old, why it doesn't make sense? I'm always open to have my mind changed if presented with fresh evidence.

You sound like The Saviour. <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:I confess. It's been me all along. Progressing like a train.

I knew it.

Postby whitespider

I suppose really the question is whether in the modern day game there should be any non ranking tournaments at all on the main snooker tour? I certainly think there are far too many on the calendar. One or two maybe fine but there are just too many.

I mean what other sport has them in as many numbers?

I get the argument that you need to host non ranking tournaments sometimes in places in the world so that you can develop the game. I get that.

With exception of the Masters I don't get why we have non rankers in the UK.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:World Grand Prix is the same.

No, I got what was being said. Hence I added the, "in my opinion".

Let's ask this then. Who thinks we should make the Masters a ranking event now? (Keeping it the same format.)

i agree with you it should remain a invitational and played just before the World Championship as a bonus for having a great season then move the China Open so theres more time between China Open and the WC.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:

i agree with you it should remain a invitational and played just before the World Championship as a bonus for having a great season then move the China Open so theres more time between China Open and the WC.

:goodpost:

Postby Wildey

Holden Chinaski wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

have you now sold your binoculars on e bay? :redneck: