Post a reply

Re: BetVictor Welsh Open Final !!!!!

Postby Pink Ball

gallantrabbit wrote:Just a shame that Ronnie is such a d***. I mean he couldn`t be more of one if he tried. He`d nade progress when interviewing players for his show and giving them respesct now he`s gone way backwards again. No respect for other pros and no respect for fans, as he showed by turning down the max. I know how well he can play, but the permanent sneer on his face means I can`t support him in any match. Would rather Dennis flamin Taylor beat him. Complete and utter d***.

You don't like him then?

Postby PoolBoy

Just wait...he'll probably 'drop out' of the Final of the Championship League, too!~Complete disregard for the sport.
Why enter the Group stage if you've no intention of competing in the Final?
I'll tell you why - it suited HIM back then, as practice for the Masters. So he used it for that - but now it's out-live it's usefulness for him - not a priority - to hell with his responsibilities - so he drops it like a stone - he's beyond pathetic.

Postby QSM

PoolBoy wrote:Just wait...he'll probably 'drop out' of the Final of the Championship League, too!~Complete disregard for the sport.
Why enter the Group stage if you've no intention of competing in the Final?
I'll tell you why - it suited HIM back then, as practice for the Masters. So he used it for that - but now it's out-live it's usefulness for him - not a priority - to hell with his responsibilities - so he drops it like a stone - he's beyond pathetic.

I'm 99.9% sure he will play in the CL winners group, he even referred to it in his interview with World Snooker after the final yesterday. Do some research before you start spouting rubbish and bringing like it's a foregone conclusion. <doh>

Postby gallantrabbit

You`re right Pink Ball I don`t bl*****g like him. The main reason is because I love snooker and he`s never willfully done anything for snooker, only for himself. You could not put ambassador and Ronnie in the same room, much like his `old hero` Higgins. Both a pair of horrible spoilt b******s only interested in themselves. Thats the one thing I don`t like about JImmy too, blindly sticking by that pair of d***s. If he has done it to make money than fair play, but Jimmy lends unbending loyalty to the pair, when he all along was the only people`s champion, because he actually likes people.

Postby Pink Ball

gallantrabbit wrote:You`re right Pink Ball I don`t bl*****g like him. The main reason is because I love snooker and he`s never willfully done anything for snooker, only for himself. You could not put ambassador and Ronnie in the same room, much like his `old hero` Higgins. Both a pair of horrible spoilt b******s only interested in themselves. Thats the one thing I don`t like about JImmy too, blindly sticking by that pair of d***s. If he has done it to make money than fair play, but Jimmy lends unbending loyalty to the pair, when he all along was the only people`s champion, because he actually likes people.

So what do you want him to do if he's never done anything 'willfully' for snooker? Have the rest of them been handing out leaflets in Scandinavia at winter telling people to go watch snooker? Driving through the atacama desert blaring out through a megaphone 'roll up, roll up, and try out the game of snooker!'

Do you not like him because he doesn't play all the time (to the positive effect of his performances)? Or is it because nothing he'll do is right and that's just the way it is?

I'd say Alex Higgins was genuinely horrible. I don't think Ronnie is and never have for a second. He certainly did stupid things in his earlier years, but in recent years he's been incredibly respectful to his peers. I didn't like the 147 thing the last day, but your outburst seems strange and more like what I'd expect from someone's who's just annoyed that Sullivan is STILL so good.

I'm not saying he's an ambassador, of course he isn't, but I've always had a soft spot for Ronnie. He's been more of a misguided eejit who's brilliant at snooker than a nasty piece of work.

And for the record - I am not a Ronnie fan and don't want him to win the World Championship.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:I think some of these Ronnie haterss have serious mental issues. It's shocking. He's just a snooker player, calm down.

Seifer was fairly mental, and he was a Ronnie fan. It's not like you can argue that people who happen to have the same favourite player as you are guaranteed paragons of sanity.

Postby SnookerFan

Actually, whilst we're on the subject, I was impressed by the fans in Cardiff during Ronnie matches. There were more Ronnie fans there, but they always applauded a good shot whoever made it and were respectful. I think they would've given Neil the accolades if he had won.

Compare that to the brain-dead morons I saw supporting Ronnie in Wembley a few years back, and Cardiff seemed very fair-minded.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:I think some of these Ronnie haterss have serious mental issues. It's shocking. He's just a snooker player, calm down.

Seifer was fairly mental, and he was a Ronnie fan. It's not like you can argue that people who happen to have the same favourite player as you are guaranteed paragons of sanity.

No, of course not. But reading some of the posts on here it shocks me how much hate some people have towards Ronnie. It's not normal. He's just a snooker player. It's a bit silly to get so mad about it... It's not like Ronnie was in a betting scandal or something... Some people are acting like he's a war criminal or something.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:Actually, whilst we're on the subject, I was impressed by the fans in Cardiff during Ronnie matches. There were more Ronnie fans there, but they always applauded a good shot whoever made it and were respectful. I think they would've given Neil the accolades if he had won.

Compare that to the brain-dead morons I saw supporting Ronnie in Wembley a few years back, and Cardiff seemed very fair-minded.

I'm a Ronnie fan and I act very respectful towards any player at a snooker match. And I'm not the only one. Of course Ronnie has annoying fans as well. He just has too many fans, it was the same with Alex and Jimmy.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

No, of course not. But reading some of the posts on here it shocks me how much hate some people have towards Ronnie. It's not normal. He's just a snooker player. It's a bit silly to get so mad about it... It's not like Ronnie was in a betting scandal or something... Some people are acting like he's a war criminal or something.

As oppose to the people on here who have referred to him as a god?

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Actually, whilst we're on the subject, I was impressed by the fans in Cardiff during Ronnie matches. There were more Ronnie fans there, but they always applauded a good shot whoever made it and were respectful. I think they would've given Neil the accolades if he had won.

I'm a Ronnie fan and I act very respectful towards any player at a snooker match. And I'm not the only one. Of course Ronnie has annoying fans as well. He just has too many fans, it was the same with Alex and Jimmy.

My point being that the twattishness element tend to congregate in certain arenas.

The fans I saw in Wembley were cheering every shot his opponent missed. And the second Maguire potted frame ball, he did so to the sound of people leaving the arena

The Cardiff fans were better much better. <ok>
Last edited by SnookerFan on 23 Feb 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby NNear

Holden Chinaski wrote:GOAT debate again.. :zzz:

Ronnie, Hendry, Davis, J. Higgins, Reardon.... They all deserve the title. Stop moaning about it. It's not an exact science, opinions differ. For me it's Ronnie, but Hendry was great as well. As was davis and John Higgins..

Presumably you mean Steve Davis. If we accept that the standard of Snooker has slowly moved on, why include Reardon? If we include Reardon, let's include some others - at least Joe Davis, if we're talking 'greatest' by accomplishments. I think that's fair, anyway. By standard of play though I can only pick 3, with Steve Davis slightly behind at 4 with Selby, Robertson and Ding in the same bracket but without a full career of results to look back on yet.

Postby SnookerFan

I actually had an apple, a banana and two yoghurts. Very healthy. That was kind of all I had in the flat, ha ha.

In fact the apple came home with me from Cardiff. They were complimentary, and I thought I might want to eat it on the way home. But I opted with the chocolate muffin I got from the breakfast buffet instead. rofl

Actually, this conversation reminds me, it's ten past 11 and I haven't got a sandwich from the shop yet for lunch. <ok>

Postby Dan-cat

You could argue that by not entering everything, he's extending his longevity in the sport, therefore providing entertainment for longer. Another way of looking at it.

This is a good read, Hector Nunns' opinion piece on Inside Snooker about the greatest ambassadors of the sport.

5 Ronnie O’Sullivan

This is a joke, right? Someone who isn’t defending their UK title, and for long periods in his life droned on about how much the sport that brought him fame and money drove him to tears and worse? Some will be furious that O’Sullivan is in at all, but such is his polarising effect, others will be livid that he is as low as No5. But having a go at defending this selection, I would start with this. No one, no other player, and certainly no member of the media or public, knows what it is like to be Ronnie O’Sullivan. He has had a piercing spotlight on him for 23 years. He has done more press and media and answered more questions than any other player (and he has done it, even after losing). He has inspired more column inches, more radio bulletins, more TV features than any other player. And he wants to entertain, not just win. Has he always represented the game well? In truth, no. But he has made more people pick up a cue than anybody else, and more people turn on the TV to watch than anyone since Alex Higgins and Jimmy White in their pomp. He shouldered snooker’s profile almost single-handedly when it was on its knees - and that must all count for something.

http://www.inside-snooker.com/snooker/2 ... -you-think

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:I actually had an apple, a banana and two yoghurts. Very healthy. That was kind of all I had in the flat, ha ha.

In fact the apple came home with me from Cardiff. They were complimentary, and I thought I might want to eat it on the way home. But I opted with the chocolate muffin I got from the breakfast buffet instead. rofl

Actually, this conversation reminds me, it's ten past 11 and I haven't got a sandwich from the shop yet for lunch. <ok>

I had a complimentary apple once. Told me I had nice shoes.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Dan-cat wrote:I would start with this. No one, no other player, and certainly no member of the media or public, knows what it is like to be Ronnie O’Sullivan. He has had a piercing spotlight on him for 23 years. He has done more press and media and answered more questions than any other player (and he has done it, even after losing). He has inspired more column inches, more radio bulletins, more TV features than any other player. And he wants to entertain, not just win. Has he always represented the game well? In truth, no. But he has made more people pick up a cue than anybody else, and more people turn on the TV to watch than anyone since Alex Higgins and Jimmy White in their pomp. He shouldered snooker’s profile almost single-handedly when it was on its knees - and that must all count for something.

http://www.inside-snooker.com/snooker/2 ... -you-think

:bowdown:

:goodpost:

Postby gallantrabbit

Can promise you that I have no mental issues. Not serious ones anyway. And I've said 100 times that there is no better sight in snooker than seeing O'sullivan on form. I've said that since I first saw when he was about 13, (and he's not kidding, he did play as well then). Maybe I have some issue with his main rivals, who should be beating him more, because he may be a hoover, but he does give chances.
Just royally sick of his attitude though, possibly more so because I thought he was improving and if not respecting the game, was at least respecting his opponents much more. I think he should just learn to keep his gob shut more. Are we really supposed to feel sorry for him for being bored? There are always a million things to do, even more so if you've got a few quid. Try getting some friends for a start. Do we really have to feel sorry for him for not being able to sleep? Go tell that to someone with a real serious health issue? Must we think with our hearts because of the issues with access to his kids? Yaaawwwnnn. How many Dads have exactly the same issues...
Just keep your trap shut Ronnie and we'll be happy to see you get another 5 world titles and 5 uks...

Postby SnookerFan

These arguments get a bit tedious.

We can all agree that Ronnie is a special, unique talent. We should also just agree that his opinion is going to turn some people off.

Then we wouldn't keep having arguments about whether Ronnie is a god or a hammer. Which seems to be the major bone of contention.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:These arguments get a bit tedious.

We can all agree that Ronnie is a special, unique talent. We should also just agree that his opinion is going to turn some people off.

Then we wouldn't keep having arguments about whether Ronnie is a god or a hammer. Which seems to be the major bone of contention.

He's Thor. A god with a hammer.

Postby Iranu

gallantrabbit wrote:Can promise you that I have no mental issues. Not serious ones anyway. And I've said 100 times that there is no better sight in snooker than seeing O'sullivan on form. I've said that since I first saw when he was about 13, (and he's not kidding, he did play as well then). Maybe I have some issue with his main rivals, who should be beating him more, because he may be a hoover, but he does give chances.
Just royally sick of his attitude though, possibly more so because I thought he was improving and if not respecting the game, was at least respecting his opponents much more. I think he should just learn to keep his gob shut more. Are we really supposed to feel sorry for him for being bored? There are always a million things to do, even more so if you've got a few quid. Try getting some friends for a start. Do we really have to feel sorry for him for not being able to sleep? Go tell that to someone with a real serious health issue? Must we think with our hearts because of the issues with access to his kids? Yaaawwwnnn. How many Dads have exactly the same issues...
Just keep your trap shut Ronnie and we'll be happy to see you get another 5 world titles and 5 uks...

Boredom can be a symptom of depression. I recall Hugh Laurie telling a story about when he was at a motorsport race, saw two cars collide and realised that rather than being excited or concerned he just found himself bored. "Boredom," he said, "is not an appropriate reaction to a car crash." It was only then that he consulted a doctor who told him he was suffering from depression. I also disagree with your implication that depression isn't a serious health issue.

Of course that doesn't change the fact that Ronnie often comes across as an entitled tool. But how often do we lament the lack of characters/personalities in the modern game? In a world where sportspeople increasingly read from the same script,Ifind it refreshing when a player, be it O'Sullivan, Trump, Allen, Robertson or whoever, actually says what's on their mind rather than what is the most "professional" or media friendly thing to say.

I'll put it another way: ability aside, I would much prefer a tour full of Ronnie O'Sullivans than one full of Shaun bucking Murphys.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:Of course that doesn't change the fact that Ronnie often comes across as an entitled tool. But how often do we lament the lack of characters/personalities in the modern game? In a world where sportspeople increasingly read from the same script,Ifind it refreshing when a player, be it O'Sullivan, Trump, Allen, Robertson or whoever, actually says what's on their mind rather than what is the most "professional" or media friendly thing to say.

I'm not sure if I've ever said that, if I'm honest.

I thought that was just something non-snooker fans said, as an attempt at insulting the sport.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
I'm not sure if I've ever said that, if I'm honest.

I thought that was just something non-snooker fans said, as an attempt at insulting the sport.

Fair point, bit of a generalisation on my part there. But as a longtime reader of this forum and also back in the 606 days, I've definitely seen a lot of comments from people comparing modern professionals' personalities, or lack thereof, to the 80s players for example. So I don't think it's something that only non-fans say.

I must admit I don't really like the word "character," I think it's one of those words that's become a bit meaningless. But it's the same in all sports really, tennis and football for example, players always seem to say the same thing after matches.

It also may be rose tinted nostalgia, I'm too young to know myself having only really gotten into snooker in around 2004. My earliest significant memory is Ronnie winning the Worlds and wearing those goofy teeth. But I wonder whether people only remember those sorts of moments from back in the day and subconsciously assume they were more common than they actually were. I guess there's no way to really know for sure.

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerFan wrote:There is much excitement in the Ibis Cardiff hotel bar.

A takeaway has been delivered, pre-paid, but nobody knows who it is for. It's currently sat on reception, waiting to see if it gets collected.

Good times.

Missing Cardiff now. :sad:

Postby Andre147

As most of you probably realised, I was away for personal reasons and didn't the watch most of this tournament, especially the early stages, but since the Quarter-Finals I did watch most of the event and of course I've already seen on YT the other Ronnie matches...

What can I say that hasn't already been mentioned here? Not much really, all I say is as a 40 year old Ronnie is playing as good as he's ever done, this tournament in particular from start to finish he just played flawless Snooker, everything in his game, every aspect was just spot on.

Like himself admited, he played so much better here than at Masters, at Masters he had flashes of brilliance but only flashes, not really sustained form. Here he was just imperious.

At 5-2 down I knew that last frame was gonna be masive, had he been 6-2 down I realy had many doubts he would recover from there. Also the first frame of 2nd session was equally massive, if Robbo had established a 3 frame lead again, it would have proven so difficult for Ronnie to comeback from that. At 5-5, I knew Ronnie would win as Rbbo's confidence was already shattered, but still I expected it to be like 9-7 or even 9-8.

It reminded me of that 2012 Worlds match, Robbo was leading 5-3 after first session and then 2nd session Ronnie came out all guns blazzing and won 2nd session 6-2 if I remember it right.

I'm happy Ronnie has chosen to play WGP, after all (silly CL excluded) it will be his only tournament before the real test of World Championships.

So so happy with this win, it's like 2014 all over again, but I jjust hope that at Worlds he goes one better this time instead of losing the Final. But that is still 2 months or so away, right now still enjoying this win. :-D

And everytime Higgins goes ahead of him and vice-versa, these two always and I mean always feed of each other and want to overcome the other. For me it will be very very interesting to see out of these two who will finish with most rankers. I would be more than happy if Ronnie reached 30 rankers, but of course he hasn't anyting else to prove anymore.

Congrats Ronnie :hatoff: <cool> :clap: :hatoff: