Post a reply

Re: BetVictor Welsh Open Final !!!!!

Postby Master Blaster

Cloud Strife wrote:
Master Blaster wrote:Hendry is the greatest match player by stats but I'd say Higgins deserves that title given he graduated from a much stronger era, MJW, him, Ronnie, Lee and the year before, Ebdon. Hendry had a declining Davis, Jimmy on crack and JP. Once he hit 30 he couldn't compete with the class of 92; this is his major weakness within the stats. Higgins and Ronnie are still winning titles, MJW still competing.

MJW, Higgins and ROS are all better players by dint of talent. But Hendry was the man of his generation, as Davis was, as Reardon was. But those three generations have been surpassed. We wait for another generation that surpasses the class of 92. It may take some time..........

Hendry for me is king of desire, passion and the will to win. He never walked out of a match, even when Ronnie hammered him. He never threatened to retire a dozen times. He doesn't constantly complain about this and that. If Ronnie had his hard nose, he'd be in double figures.

It's a myth to say that Hendry never threatened to retire. He hinted at it plenty of times in pressers/interviews and was always alluding to it. That's not a criticism on Hendry. Frustration can get the better of even the best of us.

Hints yes, retirement threats against snooker, no. Didn't storm out of man interview either. Generally didn't hide under a towel, shave his head and act crazy either. Level headed is the phrase. Higgins as well, MJW nearly as much. Ronnie, erm......................I'll get me jacket.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Master Blaster wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:I'm a huge fan of Reardon, Davis and Hendry. I respect them a lot, but in my opinion Ronnie and John Higgins have had more and tougher competition in their career than Reardon, Davis and Hendry.

I think if either Ronnie or John Higgins would have become pro in the same year as Reardon, Davis or Hendry, they would have won a lot more titles. And I think if Hendry would have became pro in the same year as Ronnie or Higgins he would have won less. But that's all if's and maybe's.... That's just my opinion.

The four best players are Davis, Hendry, Ronnie and John Higgins. Most people agree about that. Ronnie and Higgins have had the bad luck of becoming pro in the same year. Davis and Hendry did not have that bad luck.

rofl

From 1 to 64, all the pros are better than Davis was. Ding is a better player than Davis, as is Fu.

Now I'm sure you're a fool.

Why don't you ask Ronnie and John Higgins what they think about Steve Davis. I'm beginning to doubt you ever watched a match in your life.

Postby Cloud Strife

Master Blaster wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Master Blaster wrote:Hendry is the greatest match player by stats but I'd say Higgins deserves that title given he graduated from a much stronger era, MJW, him, Ronnie, Lee and the year before, Ebdon. Hendry had a declining Davis, Jimmy on crack and JP. Once he hit 30 he couldn't compete with the class of 92; this is his major weakness within the stats. Higgins and Ronnie are still winning titles, MJW still competing.

MJW, Higgins and ROS are all better players by dint of talent. But Hendry was the man of his generation, as Davis was, as Reardon was. But those three generations have been surpassed. We wait for another generation that surpasses the class of 92. It may take some time..........

Hendry for me is king of desire, passion and the will to win. He never walked out of a match, even when Ronnie hammered him. He never threatened to retire a dozen times. He doesn't constantly complain about this and that. If Ronnie had his hard nose, he'd be in double figures.

It's a myth to say that Hendry never threatened to retire. He hinted at it plenty of times in pressers/interviews and was always alluding to it. That's not a criticism on Hendry. Frustration can get the better of even the best of us.

Hints yes, retirement threats against snooker, no. Didn't storm out of man interview either. Generally didn't hide under a towel, shave his head and act crazy either. Level headed is the phrase. Higgins as well, MJW nearly as much. Ronnie, erm......................I'll get me jacket.

I remember well one year when he outright came out and said he would retire if he fell out of the top 16. This was the at WC.

It just so happened that Ding managed to beat Bingham that year and save Hendry his top 16 place. Low and behold, Hendo did not retire.

Postby Andy Spark

It seems a long time ago that Robertson was winning just about all the finals he contested. It's like the psychology fundamentally shifted when he lost one.

Postby Master Blaster

If they were super-models, Hendry would be Cindy Crawford, pretty good but boring. MJW with his attitude would be Naomi Campbell and with his drinking/stature Higgins would be Kate Moss.

Ronnie would be Katy Price.

rofl

Postby Master Blaster

Cloud Strife wrote:
Master Blaster wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

I remember well one year when he outright came out and said he would retire if he fell out of the top 16. This was the at WC.

It just so happened that Ding managed to beat Bingham that year and save Hendry his top 16 place. Low and behold, Hendo did not retire.

Fair play, I recall that one now. He must have been late 30s?

Postby Pink Ball

I appreciate that some people will hold on to the record books and all that, but if we're to be take them that literally then Joe Davis would be considered the best-of-all-time and he only occasionally made century breaks.

In my opinion, Sullivan is the best I've ever seen marginally from Hendry. That's not a dig at Hendry. No shame in being second to an absolute genius.

Postby Cloud Strife

Master Blaster wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Master Blaster wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

Fair play, I recall that one now. He must have been late 30s?

Yes, he would have been late 30s.

There's another instance which I've remembered about. One year at the Crucible after beating Zhang Anda from 9-7 down, he talked about how at 9-7 he was sitting in his seat preparing his retirement speech and that if he had ended up losing he would definitely have retired there and then. He didn't need to come out with those comments, absolutely no reason to spout that sort of nonsense, especially as he ended up coming back and winning that match. It was disrespectful to his opponent.

It was as if he was saying to Zhang, you're so rubbish if I lose to you I may as well give up the game.

Postby Pink Ball

Master Blaster wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:I'm a huge fan of Reardon, Davis and Hendry. I respect them a lot, but in my opinion Ronnie and John Higgins have had more and tougher competition in their career than Reardon, Davis and Hendry.

I think if either Ronnie or John Higgins would have become pro in the same year as Reardon, Davis or Hendry, they would have won a lot more titles. And I think if Hendry would have became pro in the same year as Ronnie or Higgins he would have won less. But that's all if's and maybe's.... That's just my opinion.

The four best players are Davis, Hendry, Ronnie and John Higgins. Most people agree about that. Ronnie and Higgins have had the bad luck of becoming pro in the same year. Davis and Hendry did not have that bad luck.

rofl

From 1 to 64, all the pros are better than Davis was. Ding is a better player than Davis, as is Fu.

Shitcookies. Davis was a phenomenon.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Pink Ball wrote:I appreciate that some people will hold on to the record books and all that, but if we're to be take them that literally then Joe Davis would be considered the best-of-all-time and he only occasionally made century breaks.

In my opinion, Sullivan is the best I've ever seen marginally from Hendry. That's not a dig at Hendry. No shame in being second to an absolute genius.

<ok>

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:
Master Blaster wrote:

rofl

Shitcookies. Davis was a phenomenon.

Ding, Fu and the rest would struggle against Davis on those 80s thick cloth tables.

Postby Master Blaster

@Cloud, yeah, you're right, he was grasping at straws by then, dreaming of returning to the top but failing and only a thin veneer of arrogance was the protection he could muster; certainly not on the table most matches.

Those cloths were still the best of the time and not that thick from my memory of playing on the best cloths. And if Jimmy could make it move more than anyone else at the time, so could have Trump flashed back by Tardis. Ronnie would have been ok, Ding, maybe ok. Fu, Dott and Ebdon would have stuggled. rofl

@pink, Davis was a phenomenon, a gold mine. His 147 now looks dodgy as buck.
Last edited by Master Blaster on 22 Feb 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Master Blaster wrote:@Cloud, yeah, you're right, he was grasping at straws by then, dreaming of returning to the top still failing and only a thin veneer of arrogance was the protection he could muster; certainly not on the table most matches.

Even if he never made a 147... He was a fantastic player, only a fool would not see that. Ronnie (and hundreds of other players) learned to play by watching Davis.

Do I really need to explain the difference in cloth and balls these days? Do you know nothing about snooker?

Even in old age Davis could still beat Ronnie and Higgins.

Postby Master Blaster

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Master Blaster wrote:@Cloud, yeah, you're right, he was grasping at straws by then, dreaming of returning to the top still failing and only a thin veneer of arrogance was the protection he could muster; certainly not on the table most matches.

Even if he never made a 147... He was a fantastic player, only a fool would not see that. Ronnie (and hundreds of other players) learned to play by watching Davis.

Do I really need to explain the difference in cloth and balls these days? Do you know nothing about snooker?

Even in old age Davis could still beat Ronnie and Higgins.

How old are you, like 16? You talk like a schoolboy. You're not old enough to have played on those cloths or own a set of super crystallates so stop talking rot. You haven't won anything in snooker, aren't really from a snooker country, represented your county or hit any breaks of note. You talk, but you've never been there and worn the t-shirt. Total cockwomble fanboy. And your English is appalling.

Two professionals are loose friends and three former pros are friends, one of whom made the semi of the Worlds. Have you ever been backstage, practised and seen a pro at work? Muppet.

Postby Holden Chinaski

You know nothing about me, Master Blaster. I'm 31 by the way. And I know you're an idiot cause you think Marco Fu is a better player than Davis was. And you think Ronnie is Robbo's bunny.. A 16 year old would call himself Master Blaster by the way :chuckle:

Players like Ronnie and Higgins have a lot of respect for Davis, but I guess you know more about snooker than them...

Postby Master Blaster

Holden Chinaski wrote:You know nothing about me, Master Blaster. I'm 31 by the way. And I know you're an idiot cause you think Marco Fu is a better player than Davis was. And you think Ronnie is Robbo's bunny.. A 16 year old would call himself Master Blaster by the way :chuckle:

Players like Ronnie and Higgins have a lot of respect for Davis, but I guess you know more about snooker than them...

I've met Higgins plenty of times at the bar. I won't say what he said about Davis.

31, so you were barely born when the WPBSA used super crystallates on an Aristocrat table and you think you know about the cloths and balls. From what experience would that be cockwomble, your time machine?! Or just some junk you heard on here from fellow players of a poor standard?

Postby Holden Chinaski

Master Blaster wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:You know nothing about me, Master Blaster. I'm 31 by the way. And I know you're an idiot cause you think Marco Fu is a better player than Davis was. And you think Ronnie is Robbo's bunny.. A 16 year old would call himself Master Blaster by the way :chuckle:

I've met Higgins plenty of times at the bar. I won't say what he said about Davis.

31, so you weren't even born when the WPBSA used super crystallates on a Aristocrat table and you think you know about the cloths and balls. From what experience would that be cockwomble, your time machine?! Or just some junk you heard on hear from fellow players of a poor standard?

On camera Higgins has called Davis the best ever (when he lost to Davis). But I guess he opens up to you a bit more :chuckle:

Didn't you say Ronnie would lose to Robbo? I predicted Ronnie would win even before the tournament started. I wasn't around when Napoleon was alive but I know a lot about him too.

Postby Master Blaster

Andy Spark wrote:It seems a long time ago that Robertson was winning just about all the finals he contested. It's like the psychology fundamentally shifted when he lost one.

It only takes one ball to sow the seeds of major doubt but he should have dismissed those doubts and carried on without fear. He's maybe just 5mm out on some long pots, if he was a bit more accurate, he could have stuffed Ronnie, but there you go, fine margins and snooker.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Master Blaster wrote:

"Davis is the greatest in my eyes." - John Higgins

Last edited by Holden Chinaski on 22 Feb 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Master Blaster wrote:

"Davis is the greatest in my eyes." - John Higgins

Postby Richproc

Did no-one read my post properly because I said Ronnie was the best player I have ever seen but there is a distinction for me between best and greatest. I think tiger Woods is the best golfer I have seen but for me Jack Nicklaus is the greatest until his records are broken. Do people get the point I am trying to make.

Postby Master Blaster

Richproc wrote:Did no-one read my post properly because I said Ronnie was the best player I have ever seen but there is a distinction for me between best and greatest. I think tiger Woods is the best golfer I have seen but for me Jack Nicklaus is the greatest until his records are broken. Do people get the point I am trying to make.

I get ya, it all depends on the criteria for the 'greatest'. You've got records. I favour standard of play taking into account the opposition of the generation. So, Graff is technically the greatest in the Open era but we all know she couldn't handle Seles and her record haul would be half that without Seles being stabbed. So Williams is the gal for me. The best player I've ever seen woudn't be Ronnie or Hendry. But that's because my criteria of best are probably different to yours. Jimmy for me, a talent ruined.

Postby vodkadiet

I have the same feeling about O'Sullivan's chances at this year's World Championship as I had in 2014. Namely, that it is all going too well for him at the moment, and in will all end in tears for his fans.

I don't like to use the word 'pressure' to describe what is ultimately a game, but for the expectation level O'Sullivan has on him from all and sundry, I think he handles it well. If he had handled this expectation level better he would have broken Hendry's World title haul by now. It is the ultimate prize for O'Sullivan to break Hendry's 7 title count, and with each passing year it will get harder.

He is capable of breaking the record but I think he has to win this year. However, I doubt it will happen, if only because of the expectation level.
Last edited by vodkadiet on 23 Feb 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Pink Ball

vodkadiet wrote:I have the same feeling about O'Sullivan's chances at this year's World Championship as I had in 2014. Namely, that it is all going too well for him at the moment, and in will all end in tears for his fans.

I don't like to use the word 'pressure' to describe what is ultimately a game, but for the expectation level O'Sullivan has on him from all and sundry, I think he handles it well. If it had handled this expectation level better he would have broken Hendry's World title haul by now. It is the ultimate prize for O'Sullivan to break Hendry's 7 title count, and with each passing year it will get harder.

He is capable of breaking the record but I think he has to win this year. However, I doubt it will happen, if only because of the expectation level.

I see what you mean. Any year I've been absolutely certain that O'Sullivan will win the World Championship (2002, 2005, 2014), he hasn't actually done it.

Postby Holden Chinaski

vodkadiet wrote:I have the same feeling about O'Sullivan's chances at this year's World Championship as I had in 2014. Namely, that it is all going too well for him at the moment, and in will all end in tears for his fans.

Why would it end in tears for his fans? If he loses in the worlds it's not a disaster. Why do you keep pretending Ronnie fans would die if Ronnie doesn't win this year? Me personally, would not be bothered. I'd rather see him win of course, but since 2012 things have been going so great a loss or two doesn't bother me. I'm sure he will win the worlds again. This year or another.

Postby Pink Ball

Holden Chinaski wrote:

Why would it end in tears for his fans? If he loses in the worlds it's not a disaster. Why do you keep pretending Ronnie fans would die if Ronnie doesn't win this year? Me personally, would not be bothered. I'd rather see him win of course, but since 2012 things have been going so great a loss or two doesn't bother me. I'm sure he will win the worlds again. This year or another.

He'll definitely win it again, and I'm quite confident he'll go level with Hendry on seven. Might not overtake it though, but that hardly matters.

Postby Cheshire Cat

Not sure where to post this, but during the Championship League, Phil Yates said although he qualified for it, that Ronnie is probably not entering the Grand Prix because of prior engagements (presumably Legends Tour).

It's probably best to wait Ronnie to comment officially on it, but that's the word on CL comms today.

Postby gallantrabbit

Just a shame that Ronnie is such a d***. I mean he couldn`t be more of one if he tried. He`d nade progress when interviewing players for his show and giving them respesct now he`s gone way backwards again. No respect for other pros and no respect for fans, as he showed by turning down the max. I know how well he can play, but the permanent sneer on his face means I can`t support him in any match. Would rather Dennis flamin Taylor beat him. Complete and utter d***.