Post a reply

1000 career centuries. When will Ronnie make it happen?

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Ronnie made this season already 22 centuries while playing only in 3 whole tournaments. He stands on 825 centuries as of today (if I calculated correctly).

I don't think there's much doubt any longer that he will reach the 1000 centuries milestone before retiring. If Ronnie does reach it, I think it will go down as one of the greatest achievements in snooker history (bigger than he 100 tons from Robbo in a season and he all know how crazy everybody got about that).

My question now is: when will it happen? Or maybe you think he won't do it?

We could even make a fun game out of this. Everybody please state a date (day, month, year) and when we'll see who comes closest.

Re: 1000 career centuries. When will Ronnie make it happen?

Postby NNear

If Ronnie does reach 1000, it will be marginally better than 999 and marginally worse than 1001.

If he stops at 999 then it doesn't automatically mean it isn't as impressive as Robbo getting a century of centuries in a season. Humans are needlessly obsessed with these numbers.

Hopefully, he makes way more than 1000 centuries, and slightly more than 1083 centuries.

Postby Holden Chinaski

NNear wrote:If Ronnie does reach 1000, it will be marginally better than 999 and marginally worse than 1001.

If he stops at 999 then it doesn't automatically mean it isn't as impressive as Robbo getting a century of centuries in a season. Humans are needlessly obsessed with these numbers.

Hopefully, he makes way more than 1000 centuries, and slightly more than 1083 centuries.

Yes, humans are needlessly obsessed with round numbers. And I think snooker fans are usually the kind of people who're even more obsessed with numbers and stats than most other people... As you say 990 centuries is equaly as impressive, but it doesn't have a nice ring to it of course..

Postby Andre147

Hes already the greatest breakbuilder ever and thats all the counts really. Doesnt really matter how many more he makes.

And the century rate is way more important I think, and Ronnie has always led that.

Even if someone like Judd surpasses him, he will simply never be like Ronnie with cue ball control and such clever cannons in his breaks, Ronnie had always been unique there and nobody will ever touch that skill.

1000 has a nice ring to it, but 999 is equally impressive, just as if Robbo had stalled on 99 instead of 103 two seasons ago.

Postby SnookerFan

AC or LT? wrote:Does anyone think 100 centuries in a season will ever be equaled?

I don't see why not, if somebody really goes for it.

Though Neil was trying for it at about halfway through the season. Depends whether anybody can really be bothered to tr, I guess.

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:Does anyone think 100 centuries in a season will ever be equaled?

Though Neil was trying for it at about halfway through the season. Depends whether anybody can really be bothered to tr, I guess.

They'd have to get off to a flier and then consciously aim for it. Eve with so many tournaments these days, it's not an easy feat to do.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Cloud Strife wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

They'd have to get off to a flier and then consciously aim for it. Eve with so many tournaments these days, it's not an easy feat to do.

Someone like Ding or maybe Selby can do it if they have a good year.

Postby barrydoherty54

With him play in less and less tournaments every year it could well take him 6-8 years, I just don't see him still playing in 6-8 years so for me he won't reach a 1000 career centuries. First player to do it probably will be Ding or Trump. both in their mid 20's still.

Postby Johnny Bravo

At this moment in time (22 november 2016), Ronnie has 844 tons. He stated he's gonna play in manny events this year, so he'll probably make at least 10-20 more by the end of the season.
I reckon if he continues to play in as manny events in the following years, he'll get to 1000 by 2020.

Postby Andre147

Johnny Bravo wrote:At this moment in time (22 november 2016), Ronnie has 844 tons. He stated he's gonna play in manny events this year, so he'll probably make at least 10-20 more by the end of the season.
I reckon if he continues to play in as manny events in the following years, he'll get to 1000 by 2020.

It's not that important whether he reaches it or not, but if he plays long enough then he should.

Ronnie's not one to be jumping around though when he reaches the 1000... cough cough Robbo....

Postby SnookerFan

Johnny Bravo wrote:At this moment in time (22 november 2016), Ronnie has 844 tons. He stated he's gonna play in manny events this year, so he'll probably make at least 10-20 more by the end of the season.

rofl

I like your name.

"Hey there foxy lady."

Postby Dan-cat

Bravo!!

Post more!!

Postby Johnny Bravo

28 centuries so far this season and there's still more snooker to be played.
IMO if he plays in just as manny tournaments, he'll make around 50 this season, maybe even more. So he'll probably have around 870 after the WC.
Looks like he needs to play another 3-4 years, so I maintain my 2020 prediction.