Post a reply

BetVictor Welsh Open Last 128!!!!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Monday 15th of February ~ Sunday 21st of February at the Motorpoint Arena, Cardiff

The 25th Staging of the Welsh Open will bring 128 players together in Cardiff hoping to put their names among the best players of the last quarter of a century that has won the tournament.

Defending Champion is John Higgins who has won this event a record 4 times and since last years event has gone on to win a further 2 Ranking Titles in Australia and China.

Among the players hoping to stop him making it no 5 is World Champion Stuart Bingham, World no 1 Mark Selby, UK Champion Neil Robertson and Masters Champion Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Who will reach the last 64 and keep on track for the £60,000 first prize?

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Image Image

Re: BetVictor Welsh Open Last 128!!!!!

Postby PoolBoy

Cloud Strife wrote:This tournament is automatically more prestigious than any other ranker played so far this season thanks to Ronnie being in the draw. :-D

The prize money's the same, regardless of who's in the field.

Ronnie entered the German Masters but lost in the last-64.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:This tournament is automatically more prestigious than any other ranker played so far this season thanks to Ronnie being in the draw. :-D

This thread is automatically less prestigious for you posting that. <doh>

Besides, technically he was in the draw for the German Masters. He just didn't make the venue.

Postby Smart

Pink Ball wrote:
pasunegirafe wrote:Image

Man, the first day schedule looks ridiculous.
"Let's cram 64 matches in 1 day! buck yeah!"

Is it a one-table set up? :wave:

....just spoken to a mate in the industry and he says due to the unprecedented number of matches to be played on day 1 - there will be a shot clock in operation. 5 seconds per shot - and an audible beeper system will be in operation. If you are going you might want some ear defenders for your day out, could be a noisy day. :wave:

Postby pasunegirafe

Smart wrote:....just spoken to a mate in the industry and he says due to the unprecedented number of matches to be played on day 1 - there will be a shot clock in operation. 5 seconds per shot - and an audible beeper system will be in operation. If you are going you might want some ear defenders for your day out, could be a noisy day. :wave:

LIAR! You don't have any friends :wave: ;-)

Postby Smart

pasunegirafe wrote:
Smart wrote:....just spoken to a mate in the industry and he says due to the unprecedented number of matches to be played on day 1 - there will be a shot clock in operation. 5 seconds per shot - and an audible beeper system will be in operation. If you are going you might want some ear defenders for your day out, could be a noisy day. :wave:

LIAR! You don't have any friends :wave: ;-)

I'm afraid that's true :wave:

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:
pasunegirafe wrote:Image

Man, the first day schedule looks ridiculous.
"Let's cram 64 matches in 1 day! buck yeah!"

Is it a one-table set up? :wave:

I hope they put all the slow players like Selby, Robertson and McLeod on last otherwise we will have an almighty backlog of matches on our hands.

Postby PLtheRef

I seem to remember that when Regal sponsored the event the tournament had all sixteen first round matches on Wednesday, last sixteen on Thursday etc.

Think that for what is supposed to be one of the main ranking events its better to play all round one before round two but last year meant playing 48 on each of the first days in essence a televised qualifying makes sense.

The irony is that we moved away from a venue able to accommodate 128 players rather comfortably to go a venue we never seem to do more than two or three years before moving away from

Postby TheSaviour

So KW found his scoring boots.... 4 centuries and one over 60 on a 5-3 drubbing of Anthony Hamilton. AND the Sheriff of Pottingham also scored 2 centuries. A century-record then. Well that was always on the cards that Kyren finds a form like that. Arguably one of the best break-builders these days, even when he has had a bit of a dry season. Results still fine. His star is rising fastly. He is hardly missing any easy positional-shots and he has some great clever brains to figure out a suprisingly good new ones.

Interesting to see overall now when the really hectic tournament-schedule is now certainly on! Who will come on top for example here in Wales?

Postby Master Blaster

TheSaviour wrote:So KW found his scoring boots.... 4 centuries and one over 60 on a 5-3 drubbing of Anthony Hamilton. AND the Sheriff of Pottingham also scored 2 centuries. A century-record then. Well that was always on the cards that Kyren finds a form like that. Arguably one of the best break-builders these days, even when he has had a bit of a dry season. Results still fine. His star is rising fastly. He is hardly missing any easy positional-shots and he has some great clever brains to figure out a suprisingly good new ones.

Interesting to see overall now when the really hectic tournament-schedule is now certainly on! Who will come on top for example here in Wales?

He's very much in the ascendancy, the top players had better watch out now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2UAKdUOjq4

From about 34:00mins

Postby whitespider

Am I the only one thinking that all these matches on one day is actually quite appealing? From a fans perspective you can show up on this one day and watch whoever on the tour you like. Probably for 16 hours straight. :mosh2:

Pity I'm not going.

Postby Smart

whitespider wrote:Am I the only one thinking that all these matches on one day is actually quite appealing? From a fans perspective you can show up on this one day and watch whoever on the tour you like. Probably for 16 hours straight. :mosh2:

Pity I'm not going.

Its appealing in the same way its appealing to see the world qualifiers, as it offers so much choice - value for money.

It can be chaotic though, with so much going on at the same time. <ok>

Postby Dan-cat

whitespider wrote:Am I the only one thinking that all these matches on one day is actually quite appealing? From a fans perspective you can show up on this one day and watch whoever on the tour you like. Probably for 16 hours straight. :mosh2:

Pity I'm not going.

Agreed - I'm tempted to go up just for that day