Post a reply

918.Com German Masters Semi Finals !!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Wednesday 3rd ~ Sunday 7th of February at the Tempodrom in Berlin

In a tournament that has thrown up a string of surprise results that started in Barnsley before Christmas with Neil Robertson losing to Amateur Ashley Hugill it just keeps on coming with 4 players in the semi final that sees Martin Gould at 20 the highest ranked player left in the championship.

Who will reach the final and stay on course for the Title?

DRAW

Semi Finals

Graeme Dott v Martin Gould Dott leads 4-1
-------------------------------------------------------
Luca Brecel v Kyren Wilson Never Played Before

ORDER OF PLAY

Image Image

Re: 918.Com German Masters Semi Finals !!

Postby Master Blaster

Holden Chinaski wrote:I'm really looking forward to the Brecel v Wilson match. Battle of the young guns! Hope it doesn't disappoint..

I'm expecting big things from Kyren, he's really coming up. He creams the Ronnie test here at 16:14:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvD2vXBzMB4

The 147 master class is a bit special as well.

Postby Wildey

For me this is the Best semi final line up of the season so far.

Nobody has a idea who will win and no outstanding favorite for the title

Postby Master Blaster

Wildey wrote:For me this is the Best semi final line up of the season so far.

Nobody has a idea who will win and no outstanding favorite for the title

A rare chance for an old timer to add a title in a season where the class of 92 have bounced back as well, or a first title for Luca or another for the emerging Wilson or a rare one for fluffball Gould? It's all in the mix.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I want Brecel v Wilson to be a good match so bad! I have faith that Wilson will probably play well but with Brecel you're never sure.. One day he plays great the other day he sucks. When he's playing his best it's like watching a young Jimmy White. Some of the long pots he blasts in sometimes are amazing.

Wilson is four years older, has already won a ranker and is higher up the rankings, so he's favourite.. But I'm hoping Brecel will play his best and then he can beat anyone on his day.

Postby Vallomas

Have you realised that if Kyren Wilson wins this trophy:

- He will reach the top 16 while he was at no 55 in the start of the season
- He will have the same number of ranking titles as Graeme Dott in his whole career

I would really love to see Martin Gould winning his first ranker after so many years of trying, but it's also a pretty good chance for Brecel to make his breakthrough. Even for Dott, it will be a very important thing to win a trophy after so many years and reach the top 16 again.

Strange, but very interesting tournament.

Postby hendry_fan

Well,what a surprise :pres: this really is,2 young guns and as Alex0paul wrote,"No top 16er in the semi finals". :dizzy: :-)

I wonder,when was the last time that it happened?.

It,s been said often here and in general that it,s high time that some young guns should be startin to make a move and gettin to the latter stages,winnin tourneys.

Anyway,it,s great that the likes of Brecel and Wilson have made it this far,and one of these players have a 100% certainty in even reachin the final,as they play against each other.

I also think it,s great to see Dott and Gouldy also get this far as,as i both like them too,also one of them is also garanteed a place in the final.

Dott v Gould.

I,m hopin that Dott will win this one,but if he does,nt i won,t be that dissappointed,as i like Gouldy as well,i like both how he is + his style of play,he does,nt half pull out some crackin pots,very enjoyable to watch.

Brecel v Wilson.

I aint bovered at all who wins this match,as once again i like both.

I think that Wilson will win it though.

COME ON DOTT,GOULD,BRECEL n WILSON!. :happy: :-D

Postby 151kbar151

Well it already turned into crap, as last Welsh Open. I really want old Top 16 seedings back. But I really hope that Graeme will win his 3rd ranking event! It is ridiculous that great player as he is has only 2 ranking event wins.

Postby Vallomas

SnookerFan wrote:The big question.

I got a mate round to watch the snooker later. Do I ignore them and post on here anyway?

I am quite sure that you will do it. ;-)

Postby PoolBoy

It's been 'asked' in a few posts, but I haven't been able to find the answer! Has there ever been a tournament before, without a Top 16 player in the semi-finals?
It'll certainly have happened in PTCs, but has this occurred in a Ranking Event before?

Postby SnookerFan

PoolBoy wrote:It's been 'asked' in a few posts, but I haven't been able to find the answer! Has there ever been a tournament before, without a Top 16 player in the semi-finals?
It'll certainly have happened in PTCs, but has this occurred in a Ranking Event before?

I am sure it must have happened. But can't think when.

Postby Cheshire Cat

Gonna' go out on a leg and say I'd like Gould to win the whole thing. Just comes across as that 'super nice' kind of guy that quietly does his job, and I hate that idea of 'nice guys never winning'. I remember back in the UK when he lost to David Grace, there was a frame where he'd laid an incredibly hard snooker which Grace couldn't escape from and in the end the ref used his discretion and stopped calling a miss when he was satisfied that Grace had tried as hard as he could - it's rarely seen and Gould had every right to protest because the points were adding up and could have won him frame and match if I recall, many players probably would have protested, but Goudly just gave a nod, agreed with the decision and in the end he lost the match. Top bloke. :hatoff:

Postby hendry_fan

PoolBoy wrote:It's been 'asked' in a few posts, but I haven't been able to find the answer! Has there ever been a tournament before, without a Top 16 player in the semi-finals?

I thought you might know the answer to that ;-),but Kolompar just answered it for us,thanx for that mate!. <ok>

Way back in 1991,wow!!.

If i remember correctly,without lookin it up,i,m sure the PTC in which Rory Mcleod won,which was very recent,that there were also no top 16 players in the last 4. :chin:

Postby hendry_fan

SnookerFan wrote:And Hendry got the hump about it. rofl

<laugh>

You little bugger!,i was actually just about to mention that,but you were a few secs quicker. <laugh>

Indeed,his favourite oppponent a certain Mark Johnston-Allen indeed thumped him 5-0. >-( :-D

The last 4 players standin were Mark Johnston-Allen,Cliff Thorburn,Tony Jones and Brady Gollan.

The winner ended up bein Tony Jones.

Postby SnookerFan

What do people make of this punditry? Always good to see Gould's in my opinion. I could do without Ronnie boring us with his opinion on Higgins.

Matt Smith is a bit dull. But in his favour, he isn't Colin Murray.