Post a reply

Freedom of Basildon

Postby SnookerFan

WORLD champions Max Whitlock and Stuart Bingham will be granted the freedom of Basildon in recognition of their sporting achievements.

The duo have both been nominated for honorary freeman status, which is expected to be formally approved at a Basildon Council meeting next week.

Deputy mayor Danny Lawrence, who nominated both snooker champion Stuart and medal-winning gymnast Max, believes they are both great ambassadors for the borough.

Max, 23, who trains with the South Essex Gymnastics Club at Basildon Sporting Village, won gold in the pommel horse category at October’s World Artistic Gymnastics Championships in Glasgow.

Stuart, 39, from Vange, fulfilled his lifelong dream last May when he beat Shaun Murphy 18-15 in the World Snooker Championship final.

The council’s constitution states freedom of the borough is “a high honour which should only be awarded in exceptional circumstances where the prospective recipient is an individual or organisation of distinction and has rendered eminent services to the borough”.

Recipients of the honour are welcome to attend civic receptions and functions which are attended by council members.

Mr Lawrence said: “At the 2015 championships in Glasgow, Scotland, Max became the first British man ever to win a World Championship gold medal.

“He trains in Basildon and now resides here. He is a great ambassador for the borough, and he is only 23 years of age.

“Stuart lives in Basildon and is currently the world snooker champion.

“At the age of 35, he won the first ranking title of his career, he claimed his second ranking title at the age of 38 and followed this with his first World Championship in 2015.

“He is another great ambassador for Basildon.”

To date, the only recipient has been the Royal Anglian Regiment in April 2011.

If councillors approve the sporting pair’s nominations, they will be officially recognised at a special ceremony.

http://m.basildonrecorder.co.uk/news/14 ... Basildon_/

Re: Freedom of Basildon

Postby Cloud Strife

Bingham is an overachiever and his World title was a fluke, but he does deserve this award. Never heard of this other guy Max Whitlock though.

Postby Master Blaster

I don't believe Bingo overachieved, I think he wrought every ounce of ability and confidence out of himself that he could muster. ROS and others fluffed their lines and this made a route possible for Bingo. His title was way more deserved than DT's, which really was given away by SD. Bingo's title is somewhat like JJ's, deserved. Bingo was the most consistent at the Worlds, not exceptional, but played to a high standard, maybe like 5th best in every category as Kendo describes his play. Really good all round performance. And one that should inspire folk like Ronnie who have far more talent, but struggle with application, to put in the hard yards and the hard mind.

The big question, now he is a freeman, is how many sheep is he allowed to drive down Basildon High St. every year now?

Postby SnookerFan

Bingham won a best of 25 match over Graeme Dott. He won a best of 25 match over Ronnie. He won a best of 33 match over Judd Trump. He won a best of 35 match over Shaun Murphy. He beat top competition over long matches to take the title.

He beat top competition, over long match. No fluke.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:Bingham won a best of 25 match over Graeme Dott. He won a best of 25 match over Ronnie. He won a best of 33 match over Judd Trump. He won a best of 35 match over Shaun Murphy. He beat top competition over long matches to take the title.

True story.

Postby Muppet147

SnookerFan wrote:Bingham won a best of 25 match over Graeme Dott. He won a best of 25 match over Ronnie. He won a best of 33 match over Judd Trump. He won a best of 35 match over Shaun Murphy. He beat top competition over long matches to take the title.

Please explain your obsession with this bald hammer.

Postby SnookerFan

Muppet147 wrote:

Explain your obsession with me. Why follow me onto every thread if you think I'm a hammer? :huh:

Postby Muppet147

SnookerFan wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:

Explain your obsession with me. Why follow me onto every thread if you think I'm a hammer? :huh:

I never said you were a hammer. Though I must confess to calling you a mong.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:Snookerfan and Muppet secretly love each other :love: :ymca:

I shout it from the rooftops.

Postby Skullman

Master Blaster wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Snookerfan and Muppet secretly love each other :love: :ymca:

First Island marriage? :chuckle:

There's already been one...

Postby SnookerFan

Skullman wrote:
Master Blaster wrote:

First Island marriage? :chuckle:

There's already been one...

That Wild?