Post a reply

Can you learn to play on a 6ft table?

Postby AC or LT?

I don't have a lot of room or spare cash lying around but want to get back into playing snooker, is it worth getting a 6ft table to play on given I pick one up on ebay for the same price as six hours on a full size table at one of my nearest clubs or would I just be wasting my time with none of it transferring across when I am able to play full size tables?

I always hear people saying pool is easier than snooker, which I agree with, does the same apply in this instance that using a pool table to learn snooker won't make me a very good snooker player?

Re: Can you learn to play on a 6ft table?

Postby Roland

You can keep your eye in on a small table but it takes a while to adjust to big because you have to hit the ball much thicker on a full size. 6ft is definitely better than no table. I had a 6ft through most of my childhood and I was rubbish hot on it knocking in big breaks and total clearances all the time but move to full size and it's a different ball game.

Postby AC or LT?

Yeah, I've played pool and snooker on pool tables and snooker on full sizes tables in the past, I'm aware of the differences between the two. I just don't really have the time or money to go to snooker halls these days - at £5 to £6 an hour it's just not viable. Like anyone who loves snooker I would rather be doing that.. and I don't have anyone who'll play snooker with me so to split costs with either.

I was just wondering more in terms of cue ball control and potting accuracy, is it possible for work done on a 6fter to carry over to the full size tables or does the fact you've only got a quarter of the space to play with mean you're hampered to only real be able to improve your short range game?.

Postby Roland

It'll help you definitely because when you're home the option is always there to pot a few balls which keeps you in touch. But you use shorter cues and the balls are smaller and unless you get slate bed it'll roll off a lot and that doesn't help at all. But yes, it'll improve your close control because the balls are relatively bigger therefore easier to block each other so you need to concentrate, and for breakbuilding it gives you confidence if you can keep knocking in 50+ breaks all the time which you can transfer to the full size.

As for £5 to £6 an hour that's usually the main snooker halls but if York is anything to go by all the best players and cheaper priced tables (up to £2.50 an hour) are in the local CIU/Social/Conservative clubs.

Postby Sickpotter

IMO how good a table for practice depends on the cut of the pockets more than the size.

Of course moving to a larger table will make the potting harder but the aiming itself doesn't much change.

I've found thin cut potting to side pockets on traditional 8-ball tables (no rounded pocket) can be helpful with your side pocket potting on snooker tables. With the horn of the pocket drastically narrowing your potting angle you really need a degree of precision that's normally reserved for snooker.

Postby Andy Spark

I played on a six foot from age ten. It's good for potting and nailing in the basics. On the negative side, I found that it didn't do much for positional play or the nuances of snooker. I switched to playing pool on that table and thought that was more fun, also I didn't feel I was really developing my snooker game any less by making this switch.

Postby Cue Guru

Hendry learnt on a six footer. It's better for kids to learn the basics of stance, grip, bridge, walk-in, sighting on a low six footer than stand on a box on a 12ft with a sloping cue arm embedding bad habits.