Post a reply

Re: Interesting Snooker Blog

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Silly way to end the blog with Dennis as chairman lol but some of it made sense. I don't like the ranking system either, don't like German qualifiers in England, make another 2 majors and rotate the wc.

Postby SnookerFan

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:Silly way to end the blog with Dennis as chairman lol but some of it made sense. I don't like the ranking system either, don't like German qualifiers in England, make another 2 majors and rotate the wc.

The World Championship should never leave The Crucible.

Ever.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Funny enough only last Friday I mentioned how dumb it was to have Snooker use Golfs tour card system and a couple of days later I see it mentioned in that blog. Overall both blogs were pretty good which makes that crazy suggestion at the end all the more funny.

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:
Ayrshirebhoy wrote:Silly way to end the blog with Dennis as chairman lol but some of it made sense. I don't like the ranking system either, don't like German qualifiers in England, make another 2 majors and rotate the wc.

The World Championship should never leave The Crucible.

Ever.

It'll never happen. Even Bazza knows not to touch the Worlds.

I'm glad all that crap about it moving to China has died out. Can't imagine a better way to kill snooker.

Postby Dan-cat

That China malarkey was all Bazza b*llcrap.

Unless they like snooker, no Chinese person I've ever met knows who Ding is. Or even knows what snooker is. And as for the hundreds of millions watching.... really? Pull the other one, it's got bells on.

Postby Cloud Strife

Dan-cat wrote:That China malarkey was all Bazza b*llcrap.

Unless they like snooker, no Chinese person I've ever met knows who Ding is. Or even knows what snooker is. And as for the hundreds of millions watching.... really? Pull the other one, it's got bells on.

Thanks for backing up your comments with cold, hard facts. Much appreciated. :wave:

Postby Dan-cat

Two. I've met two Chinese people who don't knwo what Snooker is or who Ding is.

I love Bazza by the way, but he's the king of spin. That replica Crucible theatre they've supposed to have built. Any cold hard facts on that?

Postby Smart

I meet Chinese people all the time. They make lovely rice, noodles, chips and marinated pork dishes etc etc.

I once mentioned snooker and got some confused reply.

I think Dan is on the right track here with his comments.

Strife - get back in your box. :wave:

Postby Cloud Strife

Dan-cat wrote:Two. I've met two Chinese people who don't knwo what Snooker is or who Ding is.

I love Bazza by the way, but he's the king of spin. That replica Crucible theatre they've supposed to have built. Any cold hard facts on that?

With all due respect, two people out of two billion or however many Chinese there are is hardly a large enough sample size to indicate anything either way.

My own view is the honeymoon period for Hearn is well and truly over, and the real hard work starts now. He's done well to "save" snooker from itself, but I don't believe he's the man to help snooker realise it's full potential. Unfortunately, he is all we have at the moment.

PS the Chinese Crucible exists! I've been there! :-)

Postby Cloud Strife

Smart wrote:I meet Chinese people all the time. They make lovely rice, noodles, chips and marinated pork dishes etc etc.

I once mentioned snooker and got some confused reply.

I think Dan is on the right track here with his comments.

Strife - get back in your box. :wave:

65% of Chinese I've met are rodents, birds eggs and mongooses. It makes sense.

PS they all look the same as well.

Postby Andy Spark

The article talks a lot of sense by simply stating the obvious, which is that snooker should have the same major system as tennis if it aspires to be as successful as tennis.

I've come to the conclusion it should NOT have a World Championship. Not only does a "world championship" hinder the globalising goal of snooker, but it also puts far too much emphasis on the one event a year.

Postby Smart

Andy Spark wrote:The article talks a lot of sense by simply stating the obvious, which is that snooker should have the same major system as tennis if it aspires to be as successful as tennis.

I've come to the conclusion it should NOT have a World Championship. Not only does a "world championship" hinder the globalising goal of snooker, but it also puts far too much emphasis on the one event a year.

<doh>

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

When you consider that Snooker was dying on it's bottom in the mid to late 2000's, the period when China became a big deal then you'd think that they could have gobbled up the sport pretty quickly. Hundreds of millions of viewers for a sport that had a tour with about eight events including several with no sponsor, poor price money and terrible attendance. It didn't make sense. Plus they supposedly have 60 million playing the game there and despite over a decade of hype they haven't come close to even reaching the level Canadian players had in the 80's.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Andy Spark wrote:The article talks a lot of sense by simply stating the obvious, which is that snooker should have the same major system as tennis if it aspires to be as successful as tennis.

You might be right but it's too late at this stage as the World Championship is firmly established as the No.1 tournament.

Postby SnookerFan

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:When you consider that Snooker was dying on it's bottom in the mid to late 2000's, the period when China became a big deal then you'd think that they could have gobbled up the sport pretty quickly. Hundreds of millions of viewers for a sport that had a tour with about eight events including several with no sponsor, poor price money and terrible attendance. It didn't make sense. Plus they supposedly have 60 million playing the game there and despite over a decade of hype they haven't come close to even reaching the level Canadian players had in the 80's.

Yeah, werent the top 16 supposed to be 50% Chinese by now? rofl

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

SnookerFan wrote:Yeah, werent the top 16 supposed to be 50% Chinese by now? rofl

From 2005

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/other/ ... 96488.html

“In the future, more and more Chinese will win tournaments,” Ding predicted after his title triumph.

And 2004

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/en/doc/200 ... 301567.htm

In 1997, a Beijing doctor got odds of 500-1 when he placed a US$350 bet on a Chinese player becoming world snooker champion by 2010.

Seven years later, the odds have tumbled to 10-1 and a tidal wave of interest in the sport in China has washed over 16-year-old Ding Junhui and 20-year-old Liu Song as they match skills with the world's elite players.

There are much more hyped up one then them but I cant find them.