Post a reply

Re: I finaly watched The Rack Pack

Postby Muppet147

Thanks for going into such great detail...

I watched it last week and really enjoyed it. The characterisation of Steve Davis was hilarious. He must be fuming about it!

Postby Prop

It's a decent film actually. A bit of creative licence here and there but nothing that stops the enjoyment.

Really good soundtrack too. Spiritualized at the end!

Only thing that raised an eyebrow, in the first half at least, was the CGI potting.

Worth watching even if you're not a snooker player/geek.

Postby Dan-cat

I can see why the Beeb didn't want this on the main channels. I've watched it twice.

It's visually pretty stunning, the soundtrack is awesome but the characters lacked any real depth and I didn't care what happened to any of them. Which is odd, because I cared a great deal about the true story at the time!!

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:I enjoyed it. I think the BBC should do more Snooker dramas. Maybe featuring other snookering adventures from the 80s.

Terry Griffiths having a cup of tea, Dennis Taylor dreaming about Golf or Joe Johnson going to a shoe shop not very exciting.

i guess they could do one on Tony Knowles and the play boy lifestyle.

Postby eraserhead

Jimmy White's story is pretty tragic, would probably make a good follow up film.

Postby Wildey

a interesting (pardon the pun) Follow up would be to see how Steve Davis coped with the emergence of Stephen Hendry because in the Rack Pack that was the last conversation between Alex and Steve.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:a interesting (pardon the pun) Follow up would be to see how Steve Davis coped with the emergence of Stephen Hendry because in the Rack Pack that was the last conversation between Alex and Steve.

Yes, that could be a good one.

I can see the BBC being open to one about the 1985 final as that's their favourite subject. But, I can also see most of the fans thinking that had been overdone. Being that the BBC harp on about it all the time anyway.

Postby Muppet147

Wildey wrote:a interesting (pardon the pun) Follow up would be to see how Steve Davis coped with the emergence of Stephen Hendry because in the Rack Pack that was the last conversation between Alex and Steve.

A movie about the two most boring players of all time would not be interesting. This one worked because of the charisma of Alex Higgins.

Postby Dan-cat

Dan-cat wrote:Someone else mentioned this - the casting of Kirk Stevens was a shambles. He was a charismatic and beautiful ladies' man. The actor who played him couldn't pull my granny.

...but the line was good. 'This is Kirk Stephens, lock up your daughters. This is Cliff Thorburn, lock up your wife.... and this is Dennis Taylor - lock up your grannies'

hahahaha still the granny's fave :)

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:1983: Bill Werbeniuk aboard his converted bus which he lived in and used to drive between tournaments:

That second one is me on a Saturday afternoon.

Postby SnookerFan

Muppet147 wrote:

A movie about the two most boring players of all time would not be interesting. This one worked because of the charisma of Alex Higgins.

Maybe they should make a film about you. :wave: