Post a reply

Dominic Dale commentary

Postby SnookerFan

How would you guys feel about Dominic Dale commentating on one of the 'big three' events on the BBC? The commentators for the BBC get a lot of criticism on here, mainly deserved.

Dale has commentated for BBC Wales, and I vaguely remember he briefly commentated for Eurosport. But, how would you feel about him appearing at one of the major tournaments for the BBC?

I can't really remember what I thought about him when I've heard him commentate. Which could indicate he didn't say anything too controversial or wrong. He's a nice guy, and does collect snooker memorabilia. That probably gives him more knowledge than most of the BBC put together. Playing in qualifiers might help him talk about some of the guys that the BBC can't be bothered to learn about too.

Or is commentating for a big tournament a step too far for him?

Re: Dominic Dale commentary

Postby Holden Chinaski

I would love it. He's a great guy and knows a lot about snooker. I would like more commentary on the technical side of snooker, ie players cue action etc..

Postby Cheshire Cat

I always remember him for the commentary he did on the O'Sullivan v Hawkins semi final at the 2014 Welsh Open, since it's a match I like to re-watch.

He knows his shots and calls a good few of them, and only really talks when it's needed. He's fairly 'beginner friendly' and cuts straight to-the-point without any waffle. So if a player used side, he explains what side they used how they used it (e.g check the cue ball) and what that meant with regards to position (to change the natural angle).

I've always wanted to hear more of him tbh because he has one of those relaxing voices, but like you said, seems to stick mostly to the Welsh Open. If you heard Ebdon during the Masters Dom's a lot like that, minus any golf talk that the other beeb pundits might have let loose.

Postby SnookerFan

Cheshire Cat wrote:I always remember him for the commentary he did on the O'Sullivan v Hawkins semi final at the 2014 Welsh Open, since it's a match I like to re-watch.

He knows his shots and calls a good few of them, and only really talks when it's needed. He's fairly 'beginner friendly' and cuts straight to-the-point without any waffle. So if a player used side, he explains what side they used how they used it (e.g check the cue ball) and what that meant with regards to position (to change the natural angle).

I've always wanted to hear more of him tbh because he has one of those relaxing voices, but like you said, seems to stick mostly to the Welsh Open. If you heard Ebdon during the Masters Dom's a lot like that, minus any golf talk that the other beeb pundits might have let loose.

I kind of regret watching Bing vs Ding on Eurosport.

Somebody on here mentioned Ebdon was commentating, but I didn't bother to turn over to listen to him assuming he'd be there all week. Sadly, I only saw him on punditry.

Hopefully he comes back for Sheffield, where more commentators are required.

Postby Dan-cat

Cheshire Cat wrote:I always remember him for the commentary he did on the O'Sullivan v Hawkins semi final at the 2014 Welsh Open, since it's a match I like to re-watch.

Hello fellow Cheshire Cat, yes - I've watched that match a few times too - those clearances!! You can see Barry sit down resignedly after making 50+ in the final frame knowing he'd blown it. I was at the final for that, the decimation of Ding - the 147 in the final frame - it was my birthday that day and as the break unfolded I thought 'buck he's actually gonna do a 147 for my birthday!'

Postby SnookerFan

I was at that Ronnie vs Ding match.

I must've been at the semis too. Funnily enough, I have absolutely no memory of Ronnie vs Hawkins from that year.

I must watch so much snooker live, my mind has blanked some of it out. :gag:

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:I was at that Ronnie vs Ding match.

I must've been at the semis too. Funnily enough, I have absolutely no memory of Ronnie vs Hawkins from that year.

I must watch so much snooker live, my mind has blanked some of it out. :gag:

Or the 11 cans of Fosters...

Postby SnookerFan

Apparently Ding beat Joe Perry that year. Honestly, I don't remember that either.

That year John Higgins played Ronnie in the quarter finals. I know I've seen Ronnie play Higgins in a match at Newport. It might've been that year.

I need to find something more to do with my time. rofl

Postby Ronnie79

I think Dale would be excellent for the Beeb. Great on comms. The problem is he doesnt fit with the beebs selection policy you have to be a former world champion it seems. Well ebdon was a step up from willie thorne anyway. I hope thorne is gone he is painful. Shaun Murphy will defo be joining the beeb if they still have coverage in 10 years

Postby Cheshire Cat

Ronnie79 wrote:I think Dale would be excellent for the Beeb. Great on comms. The problem is he doesnt fit with the beebs selection policy you have to be a former world champion it seems. Well ebdon was a step up from willie thorne anyway. I hope thorne is gone he is painful. Shaun Murphy will defo be joining the beeb if they still have coverage in 10 years

Oh dear lord, Smurph on commentary. He could do the entire broadcasting himself.

I still have no idea how he got on that panel with Ken and Steve to do the 'Projections' skit on the top 16. I like Ken and I like Steve, but Smurph.. he strikes me as the type that wouldn't know when to just settle down and keep quiet.

Postby Dan-cat

Did anyone else notice when Higgins was responding to what Steve, Ken and Smurph had said about his game.

'wow, to hear that from.... two of the greatest players ever means the world'

hehehehe