Post a reply

Re: Why did the Beeb only use Ebdon for 2 days ? Will he be

Postby Andre147

Good question, I did enjoy his commentary on Ding v Bingo match, plus his analysis on the studio the day after.

Probably the same reason they sacked Clive in the first place, BBC never knows how to make the most of a good commentator.

Postby Andre147

ok then.

I don't know if they'll use Ebdon again this season, but what I saw from him those 2 days, it was very good commentary and analysis from him. Someone who still plays professionaly like him knows how hard the game can be and knows how to read the game, unlike some of them...

Postby SnookerFan

I think he was only there to provide cover for Hendry, who wasn't available.

I watched the Sunday evening game on Eurosport. Had I known it was Ebdon's only commentary stint, I'd have switched over to see what he was like.

I thought he was good on punditry during Monday afternoon. And I think his analysis of Judd's struggle to hit the cue-ball centrally was interesting. It wasn't something I'd heard before, and it made Steve Davis discuss it also. When the BBC usually waffle on about stuff that has nothing to do with snooker, this made it look like they were taking the sport seriously, for once.

Then they cocked it up, and brought back Stephen "I hate snooker, unless I'm winning at it" Hendry. Shame, really.

Their interviews with the players was quite interesting though. So that was alright.

Postby SnookerFan

Hendry's real problem is that he really doesn't like watching snooker that much. I know the rest of them aren't fussed that much either, but Hendry's passion was winning. He just happened to be good enough at snooker as that is what he could use to fulfill his passion for beating other people.

When he was playing snooker, he made a good commentate. He was playing the other players regularly, so he knew their strengths and weaknesses and had stuff that was relevant to say. Now he's stopped playing, he's stopped watching. So in a short time he has gone from having interesting, relevant things to say, to having nothing of any use to say at all. It's a shame, really.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Hendry's real problem is that he really doesn't like watching snooker that much. I know the rest of them aren't fussed that much either, but Hendry's passion was winning. He just happened to be good enough at snooker as that is what he could use to fulfill his passion for beating other people.

When he was playing snooker, he made a good commentate. He was playing the other players regularly, so he knew their strengths and weaknesses and had stuff that was relevant to say. Now he's stopped playing, he's stopped watching. So in a short time he has gone from having interesting, relevant things to say, to having nothing of any use to say at all. It's a shame, really.

Hendry is being honest and im sorry you dont want to know what is the truth.

when he said Ronnie will romp it to the title he was right.

When he commentates he talks about the shots played....When Hazel asks him a question he answers her honestly.

Hazel : Do you think anyone will stop Ronnie? Hendry :NO (what else is there to say)

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Hazel : Do you think anyone will stop Ronnie? Hendry :NO (what else is there to say)

I mean this as an honest question. Did Hazel say; "Can anyone stop Ronnie?" Or did she say; "Will anyone?"

I thought she said; "Can anybody?" My objection at the time to that was that it was clearly not true, because Bingham had done it at The Crucible. So, of course he can do it. Whether he will do it again in the match they were discussing is another matter.

My problem on Saturday night was not with Hendry offering a prediction, that's fine.

It might seem like a subtle distinction, but if Hazel asks; "Will anybody?", I have no problem with Hendry saying; "No." That's his prediction. And I apologise for criticising him. I misunderstood what he was claiming.

If she said; "Can anybody?", which is what I believed she'd said in the moment, I have a problem with the answer; "No!" as it's clearly factually inaccurate. Irregardless of what happened in that one match, it's obvious Bingham CAN beat him. Because he has done.

Postby SnookerFan

kolompar wrote:SnookerFan <doh>
Could anyone stop Ronnie? No, Hendry was right.
Or did Hazel ask "Has Bingham beaten Ronnie before"?

I'm not defending Hawkin's woeful performance in the final. Wild was correct when he predict Hawkins would bottle it. Hawkins did. But it doesn't mean Hendry's comment was correct.

Hazel asked pre-Bingham; "Is there anybody left in the tournament that can stop Ronnie?"

The answer is yes. Bingham has done it before. Therefore, there is somebody who CAN stop him. If Hendry had gone; "Bingham has a chance, but Ronnie is strong favourite for the match", fine. That would've been the truth.

Shouting "No" and gurning at the camera is twattish behaviour. It's not analysis. Especially after he then claimed that he had predicted all of Bingham's matches incorrectly at The Crucible. <doh>

If on Thursday morning I'd said; "Selby isn't capable of beating Ronnie", would I been proven correct when Ronnie won the match? Course not. Ronnie had to play better than Selby did to win, and that's what happened.

Postby SnookerFan

Besides, look at it this way.

Hendry's analysis = Ronnie beat some mug in the semis.
My analysis = Ronnie is favourite, but still has to do the job.

My analysis is actually more respectful to Ronnie. Because Hendry's implied he had an easy draw. Mine implies he had to play to at least a decent standard to win.

Postby Wildey

kolompar wrote:SnookerFan <doh>
Could anyone stop Ronnie? No, Hendry was right.
Or did Hazel ask "Has Bingham beaten Ronnie before"?

exactly

when people ask you a question you give your personal opinion or should he lie.

my problem with most BBC Commentators is they give a political correct answers to questions that they think people want to hear because it makes the sport and coverage look good.

Hendry doesent do that which is a breath of fresh air.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:exactly

my problem with most BBC Commentators is they give a political correct answers to questions that they think people want to hear because it makes the sport and coverage look good.

Was it a breath of fresh air when Hendry predicted that Bingham would lose every match at The Crucible? rofl Just because he gives his actual opinion, don't mean he's talking sense.

Look who I am arguing with about Hendry though. I guess we're going to have to disagree on this one, though. rofl

Postby SnookerFan

kolompar wrote:He did talk sense this time. Noone could stop Ronnie :shrug:

Bottom line is, I think we're arguing semantics here. We're at risk of blowing out of proportion something that doesn't really matter that much. I've gone off Hendry as a commentator, and not just because of the way he phrased the answer to this one question. You are entitled to different opinions on him.

The original question was about Ebdon. What did you guys make of him as commentator/pundit? I thought he did alright actually.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:exactly

Was it a breath of fresh air when Hendry predicted that Bingham would lose every match at The Crucible? rofl Just because he gives his actual opinion, don't mean he's talking sense.

Look who I am arguing with about Hendry though. I guess we're going to have to disagree on this one, though. rofl

it was his opinion to a question asked and from quarter final on he was a outsider the fact he won isn't relevant hendry was blunt with his opinions.

did anyone expect him to beat Ronnie, Trump and Murphy over 35, 33 and 25 frames?

and btw the fact i was a hendry fan isnt relevant at all bucking idiot <doh>

Postby Cloud Strife

I thought Ebdon was very good. He only seemed to speak up when he had something to say, which was a good thing. And what he did say was relevant and to the point, he didn't veer of on a tangent like the others tend to do just to fill the silence.

They should get him to replace Hendry full-time. <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:it was his opinion to a question asked and from quarter final on he was a outsider the fact he won isn't relevant hendry was blunt with his opinions.

did anyone expect him to beat Ronnie, Trump and Murphy over 35, 33 and 25 frames?

The Crucible ones were perhaps fair enough, even if wrong.

Anyway, I'm insanely bored of this argument now. Nobody says we have to like the same commentators.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:it was his opinion to a question asked and from quarter final on he was a outsider the fact he won isn't relevant hendry was blunt with his opinions.

The Crucible ones were perhaps fair enough, even if wrong.

Anyway, I'm insanely bored of this argument now. Nobody says we have to like the same commentators.

Fair enough BUT your point doesn't make any sense at all.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Fair enough BUT your point doesn't make any sense at all.

I just thought it was a douchey way of putting it, is all.

Asked if anybody had a chance, Hendry went; "No!" angrily, and then pointed out that he'd recently predicted a Bingham loss to Ronnie incorrectly. So, it was a bit like saying; "Bingham has no chance. Unless, I'm wrong again and he wins." Sounded like he was backtracking a bit.

He could've just said; "Yes, but Ronnie's still favourite." That would've been a better summary of the situation.

Not really worth you getting the bottom with me about. rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:I thought Ebdon was very good. He only seemed to speak up when he had something to say, which was a good thing. And what he did say was relevant and to the point, he didn't veer of on a tangent like the others tend to do just to fill the silence.

They should get him to replace Hendry full-time. <ok>

I agree that Ebdon was decent. Though hard to judge as he only did two days.

I wouldn't go as far to replacing Hendry. I find he's picked up some bad BBC commentary habits, but he's still shades above several of what they've got.

Postby Ronnie79

The only thing that annoyed me on the monday Ebdon noticed and spoke out saying how Trump was cueing across the ball from long distance and thats why his long potting is erratic it makes is hard to keep potting them. Davis agreed saying there was a flaw in his game. When Trump can in for his post match interview the first thing Ebdon was congrats you hit the ball sweet today. Wtf why didnt he point it out to trump ?

Postby Wildey

Ronnie79 wrote:The only thing that annoyed me on the monday Ebdon noticed and spoke out saying how Trump was cueing across the ball from long distance and thats why his long potting is erratic it makes is hard to keep potting them. Davis agreed saying there was a flaw in his game. When Trump can in for his post match interview the first thing Ebdon was congrats you hit the ball sweet today. Wtf why didnt he point it out to trump ?

lol