Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Final : Barry Hawkins v Ronnie O'Sulliv

Postby Andre147

Nobody could have predicted these two would meet this year at the Final of The Masters.

Hopefully Ronnie wins it, but for anyone who thinks this is like a walk in the park for Ronnie, well think again :wave:

Barry is playing as well as he was during the WC 2013, and only an inspired Ronnie could stop him there. Here Ronnie will definately need to play very well to beat him. I don't think Barry will fold like a pack of cards.

Should be an excelent high quality Final I hope.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:Nobody could have predicted these two would meet this year at the Final of The Masters.

Hopefully Ronnie wins it, but for anyone who thinks this is like a walk in the park for Ronnie, well think again :wave:

Barry is playing as well as he was during the WC 2013, and only an inspired Ronnie could stop him there. Here Ronnie will definately need to play very well to beat him. I don't think Barry will fold like a pack of cards.

Should be an excelent high quality Final I hope.

Agree, this is a tough match for Ronnie, but no doubt some will deride Hawkins as some sort of bum that will give Ronnie an easy ride.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:This is Ronnie's 11th Masters final. Far ahead of everyone else in that regard.

I'd prefer Hendry's 6/9 than Ronnie's possible 5 or 6/11.

Of course, seeing good of a player I am, turning up to the Masters would be an overachievement for me...

Postby Holden Chinaski

Hawkins has a good chance of winning this. Ronnie is not performing his very best (yet). Hawkins is a great breakbuilder when in form so he can win this. But Ronnie's the GOAT so even if he's playing his B game he has to be favorite.

I think it will be a close match. But, I predict Ronnie to win 10-8.

Postby Cloud Strife

Holden Chinaski wrote:Hawkins has a good chance of winning this. Ronnie is not performing his very best (yet). Hawkins is a great breakbuilder when in form so he can win this. But Ronnie's the GOAT so even if he's playing his B game he has to be favorite.

Could come down to who holds themselves together the best. It would not surprise me one bit if Hawkins completely folded due to the occasion.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Cloud Strife wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Hawkins has a good chance of winning this. Ronnie is not performing his very best (yet). Hawkins is a great breakbuilder when in form so he can win this. But Ronnie's the GOAT so even if he's playing his B game he has to be favorite.

Could come down to who holds themselves together the best. It would not surprise me one bit if Hawkins completely folded due to the occasion.

Hawkins held himself together very well in the final of the worlds. Ronnie doesn't look very confident so he can feel the pressure as well.. We'll see. Hard to predict Ronnie.

Postby TheRocket

Cloud Strife wrote:

He doesn't look like the guy for that. Surely, if the finishing line comes close, he could miss one or two but he's not a Matthew Stevens or Martin Gould.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:

Yes I thought about that CS, but honestly I think Barry will acquaint himself very well here.

Maybe at the closing stages of the match he'll start feeling nervous and Ronnie's experience in closing out Big matches could prove significant. <ok>

Postby Skullman

Anyway, regardless of what happens in the final, I hope that this Masters has been a kick start for all the top players and we won't have a bunch of them getting beat by journeymen when we return to the rankers.

It's been a better standard overall and I'd like it kept that way.

Postby Skullman

TheRocket wrote:He doesn't look like the guy for that. Surely, if the finishing line comes close, he could miss one or two but he's not a Matthew Stevens or Martin Gould.

He's done a few bottle jobs that would make them proud...

Postby TheRocket

Skullman wrote:
TheRocket wrote:He doesn't look like the guy for that. Surely, if the finishing line comes close, he could miss one or two but he's not a Matthew Stevens or Martin Gould.

He's done a few bottle jobs that would make them proud...

Surely not today though. Atm he's just looking in that kind of form like he was in the 2013 WC so hard to see him choking tomorrow.

Postby TheRocket

Skullman wrote:As an aside, is it just me who thought that Hawkins played better in 2014 and 2015 Worlds than he did the year he got to the final?

In patches yes but overall? He probably played his best Snooker against Robbo last year but against Murphy he was not even existing. In 2014 he almost went out to Dominic Dale ,played two brillant frames at the end though but in the semis again he wasn't existing.

Postby Cheshire Cat

The last few major times Barry and Ronnie have met, 2013 WC final and the 2014 WC semi final, Barry had been through monstrous matches against Ricky Walden and Dominic Dale respectively beforehand. The 2014 one especially, Barry just seemed knackered after Dominic Dale came back and took him to a decider before Barry eventually won; he went on and got wrecked by Ronnie. That won't happen this time. They also met in the 2014 Welsh open, but it took a magical Ronnie with two amazing counter clearances to beat Barry there.

Barry has been nice and consistent this week, getting better and better as the tournament progresses. I don't fancy him to plummet tomorrow, he'll be there or there abouts.

Postby Andy Spark

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:This is Ronnie's 11th Masters final. Far ahead of everyone else in that regard.

I'd prefer Hendry's 6/9 than Ronnie's possible 5 or 6/11.

Of course, seeing good of a player I am, turning up to the Masters would be an overachievement for me...

If you prefer 6/9 to 6/11 then you must prefer Ronnie's 5/5 over Hendry's record in the UK's. :-)

Postby TheRocket

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Skullman wrote:The way I remember it, he played well in patches in 2013, got let off big time by Walden and then only really performed in the final.

He did play fantastic in that final. I couldn't believe how good he was.

I think that the best Snooker he ever produced was against Robertson last year with the World final 2013 being a very close second.

The man can play Snooker. No doubt about that.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Skullman wrote:The way I remember it, he played well in patches in 2013, got let off big time by Walden and then only really performed in the final.

He did play fantastic in that final. I couldn't believe how good he was.

I think that the best Snooker he ever produced was against Robertson last year with the World final 2013 being a very close second.

The man can play Snooker. No doubt about that.

Yes against Robbo he managed to counter absolutely everything Robbo threw at him. The best performance from him no shadow of a doubt.