Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Q Final : Judd Trump v Neil Robertson

Postby TheRocket

Skullman wrote:Interesting how all the Ronnie fans want Robbo to lose :chin:

I don't. Don't really care about this. Just hope for some good snooker. And I wouldn't mind seeing a Robertson-Ronnie final in a big tournament. Strange enough that it still hasn't happened. (Yes, I know, World Open 2010 but that wasn't a big final really despite being a ranker)

Postby Prop

Hmmmm... yeah maybe there's something in that.

Or maybe the fact that there are so many Ronnie fans (proportionately), that it's inevitable some of those want Robertson to lose, and therefore those voices are heard on a snooker forum.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

The most important thing is that we get a great match. And this match up nearly always delivers. I'm supporting Trump because Robbo has now won enough this season for my liking and because I'm always pro Judd if he plays against Neil. It's difficult for me to be completely neutral in a match, I always have to pick a side to be invested.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:

The most important thing is that we get a great match. And this match up nearly always delivers. I'm supporting Trump because Robbo has now won enough this season for my liking and because I'm always pro Judd if he plays against Neil. It's difficult for me to be completely neutral in a match, I always have to pick a side to be invested.

Yes I tend to agree with that. I always want great matches, but yes having a slight favourite is always something that makes it more special to watch for me.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:There's some needle between these two (especially in the past) which makes the match always a little bit more interesting. A little bit like Selby O'Sullivan.

Absolutely. Trump and Robbo aren't friends and playing each other always seems to trigger something in both of them. Beautiful.

Postby Pink Ball

TheRocket wrote:There's some needle between these two (especially in the past) which makes the match always a little bit more interesting. A little bit like Selby O'Sullivan.

Has there though? I always see them both as spikey characters, but can't recall any major sparks between them.

Postby Prop

But not nearly of the same magnitude? I don't get the "Ronnie hates Selby" argument, actually. I get the rivalry though. Maybe others are seeing something I'm not. Other way round, yes.

Anyway... back to THIS match..!

On paper it's a belter. On paper DT will say "That was a [insert name] special!!!" countless times.

But, I just wonder if Robertson will go a bit cagey, whether he'll be a little too defensive against Judd's 'long just-off-straight shot for nothing screw back into baulk' shots?

Robertson didn't have to be brilliant tonight. Missed a couple over the middle bag which was surprising.

Although if he goes two or three down, Judd's propensity to bottle it and look over his shoulder might be all too telling.
Last edited by Prop on 13 Jan 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

Pink Ball wrote:

Has there though? I always see them both as spikey characters, but can't recall any major sparks between them.

I think Trump has said a few times that Neil often is too slow and drags it down when he should just get on with it, which in fairness Trump is right.

I think they get on pretty well, but definately not the best of friends I would imagine.

Postby Pink Ball

Andre147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

I think Trump has said a few times that Neil often is too slow and drags it down when he should just get on with it, which in fairness Trump is right.

I think they get on pretty well, but definately not the best of friends I would imagine.

Fair enough.

They've had some great matches by the way, it's one of my favourite rivalries. Two right little pin ends too which adds to the spice.

Postby TheRocket

Pink Ball wrote:

He made a couple of arrogant comments about Robertson. But most them in the past I think. And it has to be said that this was a time when Trump was just the new kid on the block who had fascinated the whole Snookerworld with his style of play and he was just really "overconfident" back then.

I remember him saying something like "I would have beaten him easily If I had played at my best" after Robertson beat him in the Masters. He sounded quite arrogant in many of his press conferences and I think it really annoyed Robertson.

Postby Ronnie79

Trump and Robbo dont get on at all. Do people not remember the row at the 2012 Masters semi. I as a Ronnie fan would rather Trump purely for the fact i think Robbo would be harder to beat in a final. Mind you thats not to say Trump cant beat him of course. Also the rocket has to beat his great nemises first

Postby TheRocket

Ronnie79 wrote:Trump and Robbo dont get on at all. Do people not remember the row at the 2012 Masters semi. I as a Ronnie fan would rather Trump purely for the fact i think Robbo would be harder to beat in a final. Mind you thats not to say Trump cant beat him of course. Also the rocket has to beat his great nemises first

It's wrong to call Selby his nemesis. We're just used to Ronnie having such a great H2H against most of the players so that the H2H against Selby seems to be weak. But even if you take out the Premier League/CL/Shootout Ronnie would still lead 9:8 I think. So it's pretty much even. But no doubt that Selby, next to Higgins are his two hardest opponents.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:I wasn't being serious, it was just a coincidence that all the posts before that were from Ronnie fans who wanted Robbo to lose.

i was being serious and even those who don't say it secretly thinks it.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
Skullman wrote:I wasn't being serious, it was just a coincidence that all the posts before that were from Ronnie fans who wanted Robbo to lose.

the buck you on? Who do you want out of Selby v Ronnie to win? Selby, obviously.

Who do I want out of Robbo v Judd to win? Judd, because Robbo is starting to dominate a bit too much for my liking as SO rightly said.

But if a Final between Ronnie and Robbo happened, I would love it, both only met in a Final and that wasn't even a proper one, Best of 9 rubbish.

Postby TheRocket

Wildey wrote:

<doh>

Postby Cloud Strife

I'll be honest, one of the reasons I want Trump to win is because I believe Ronnie would have an easier time of it against him rather than Robertson.

Even without that though, I'd still want Trump to beat Robertson.