Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Q Final : Mark Selby v Ronnie O'Sullivan

Postby Andre147

Ronnie79 wrote:Hope im wrong but i cant see the rocket winning this one. I just think if he played a top player today he would have been beaten. Gave lots of chances away today

Diferent match on Thursday mate, and it's not garanteed by any means that Selby will play like he did today.

I expect a close and high quality match.

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:Good luck Ronnie. Not only do you have to play a tough opponent in the form of the modern day grinder, Mark Selby, but you also have to dig deep and fight through the pain barrier.

If anyone can do it, it is you.

jesus christ someone get the violin out

Postby Holden Chinaski

This could go either way, but I think Ronnie will win. His back problems are not that serious I think. Some people are making a big deal out of this but it's probably nothing. It's ROS, he can beat anyone anytime. Selby did play very good in his first four frames so Ronnie has to up his game a bit.

Postby LC

I always use pot % as a guide to how well someone played and ros was at 93% I believe which is quite good, but after seeing the whole match he was lucky to win and presented lots of easy chances, which selby will probably take full advantage of.

Postby Smart

Andre147 wrote:Yeah should be a fascinating match this, their first encounter since that Worlds Final.

I'll give some more thoughts on this one tomorrow night.

I will keep refreshing this page every 2 minutes until those "thoughts" materialise.

yours sincerely

Smart :wave:

Postby Andy Spark

Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Good luck Ronnie. Not only do you have to play a tough opponent in the form of the modern day grinder, Mark Selby, but you also have to dig deep and fight through the pain barrier.

<laugh>

Postby mantorok

Wildey wrote:

rofl rofl rofl

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Again, I'll miss the first part of the match. I just hope the first frames go very slowly and there's still plenty of snooker left once I can start watching.

Same. That or Selby's already won when I get back.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Again, I'll miss the first part of the match. I just hope the first frames go very slowly and there's still plenty of snooker left once I can start watching.

Selby won't thrash Ronnie, however the opposite has happened between them both. No 2012 Welsh inluded here

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:
Skullman wrote:

Selby won't thrash Ronnie, however the opposite has happened between them both. No 2012 Welsh inluded here

Selby didn't trash Ronnie in the Welsh Open, the balls went always awkward, Ronnie couldn't get into his rhythm and Selby picked up the pieces.

The 2009 UK quarter final, the 2014 Masters final and the one Premier League final, that's what a consider a proper hammering <ok>

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Skullman wrote:

Selby didn't trash Ronnie in the Welsh Open, the balls went always awkward, Ronnie couldn't get into his rhythm and Selby picked up the pieces.

The 2009 UK quarter final, the 2014 Masters final and the one Premier League final, that's what a consider a proper hammering <ok>

Yes even Selby was terrible in that 2012 semi, the first 4 frames were allright, shared at 2-2, but after that it was just painful to watch, marmite play from both of them.

I reckon this will end 6-4 or 6-5 either way.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Two things:

1. Always a first time for everything
2. I never said thrash, only that Selby's already won by the time I return. It's not like I'll only be out until 2.

Yes well said.

I shall be nervous as I always am when these two play, same applies for when Federer plays Djokovic nowadays.

But I certainly won't lose my sleep if Ronnie loses, I'm just hoping for a great match, and may the best player win it, ideally Ronnie.

Postby TheRocket

It's not always easy to define the term trashing. For some people it's just about the result. But for me it's more than that.

Selby beat Ronnie 6:2 in the 2012 Welsh Open but both were playing pathetic. Robertson whitewashed Selby in the UK semi last month but did it really feel like a hammering or destruction? Not really. Selby had chances in every frame. The result for Selby nevertheless was embarrassing obviously.

The Masters finals 2005,2007 and the Grand Prix final 2005 for example is what you can really call a hammering in my eyes. When one player just completely dominates the table, keep winning the frames in one visit with the other guy just sitting on his seat and being absolutely helpless.

Ronnie O'Sullivan and Stephen Hendry are probably the main two players who have managed to do this more than any other player has. They really have/had the ability to just wipe you out. Steve Davis obviously did it many times as well but not in the same fashion like ROS and Hendry as he hadn't had the scoring power of a Hendry or O'Sullivan, the two greatest breakbuilders of all time.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:It's not always easy to define the term trashing. For some people it's just about the result. But for me it's more than that.

Selby beat Ronnie 6:2 in the 2012 Welsh Open but both were playing pathetic. Robertson whitewashed Selby in the UK semi last month but did it really feel like a hammering or destruction? Not really. Selby had chances in every frame. The result for Selby nevertheless was embarrassing obviously.

The Masters finals 2005,2007 and the Grand Prix final 2005 for example is what you can really call a hammering in my eyes. When one player just completely dominates the table, keep winning the frames in one visit with the other guy just sitting on his seat and being absolutely helpless.

Ronnie O'Sullivan and Stephen Hendry are probably the main two players who have managed to do this more than any other player has. They really have/had the ability to just wipe you out. Steve Davis obviously did it many times as well but not in the same fashion like ROS and Hendry as he hadn't had the scoring power of a Hendry or O'Sullivan, the two greatest breakbuilders of all time.

Agree mate, often so many one sided scorelines can be so misleading, as many times the other player on the receiving end had chances in about every frame.

Like you say, Ronnie and Hendry have done it more than anyone else in the game, and they did it in just brilliant fashion. :hatoff:

Postby snucar

TheRocket wrote:

You don't have to have that much scoring power to wipe people out. Ask John Parrott or the scoring powered Jimmy White how it feels to come to the table without anything to play every single freaking time. Davis is the most multi-dimensional player there's ever been and make no mistake. his scoring power was the best of his era.