Post a reply

Ronnie's latest ES blog

Postby Andre147

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/ro ... 08633.html

In his now usual blog for Eurosport, a great one at that, Ronnie seems to be in a happy place mentally, well, he has been for the last 2 or 3 years.

It's great he says he plans to play more in China, and judging by what he said he'll play in all ranking tournaments, including more in China, becaiuse he says the Flappy Bird game has helped him to not get afraid of flying <laugh> We know sometimes Ronnie made some pretty silly excuses in the past for not wanting to fly, but the fact is he has always been afraid of flying, and I for one can relate to that as I don't enjoy it that much to be honest too.

If that little game helps him, then all the better.

It remains to be seen whether he'll actually play in all those tournaments he stated, because he can change his mind from one day to the other, but nevertheless it's nice seeing Ronnie showing the game the respect it deserves.

Re: Ronnie's latest ES blog

Postby TheSaviour

Andre147 wrote:https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/ronnie-osullivan/i-m-relishing-full-season-of-snooker-after-flappy-bird-helped-me-handle-flying-fears-165808633.html

In his now usual blog for Eurosport, a great one at that, Ronnie seems to be in a happy place mentally, well, he has been for the last 2 or 3 years.

It's great he says he plans to play more in China, and judging by what he said he'll play in all ranking tournaments, including more in China, becaiuse he says the Flappy Bird game has helped him to not get afraid of flying <laugh> We know sometimes Ronnie made some pretty silly excuses in the past for not wanting to fly, but the fact is he has always been afraid of flying, and I for one can relate to that as I don't enjoy it that much to be honest too.

If that little game helps him, then all the better.

It remains to be seen whether he'll actually play in all those tournaments he stated, because he can change his mind from one day to the other, but nevertheless it's nice seeing Ronnie showing the game the respect it deserves.

Yes, but what might be a really good for some top-notch snooker players, would been playing more something like these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wKzmeWsqZE Bustamante vs Steve Davis, back in 2004. That was an extremely high quality also. Those two Davis pots from 34:20 to get position for the 9 are just irrefutable. Only a really top-notch snooker master playing pool billiards can pull shots like that. And Bustamante answered shot like 17:40!!

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Another update:

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/ro ... 04040.html

A very good read! :hatoff:

It was indeed, gives us more hindsight as to why he didn't perform well in the Shanghai Masters when he was match rusty and lost to McManus, plus it's clear to see Ronnie cares about his physical condition so much, it's kind of an absession because he clearly admits it is, but if it works for him then all the best.

He also seemed very happy with his performance at the CoC, hopefully having a tournament win early in the season will make him feel more relaxed and maybe win a couple more tournaments, would love this UK Champs.

Postby AC or LT?

What would he need to do to be classed statistically speaking as the best player to play in his 40s?

i.e how many ranking events per ranking event would he need to win (I view frequency of wins in relation to played tournaments as a fairer measure than simple number of tournaments won)
and how many world championships have been won by over 40s?

Postby Andre147

AC or LT? wrote:What would he need to do to be classed statistically speaking as the best player to play in his 40s?

i.e how many ranking events per ranking event would he need to win (I view frequency of wins in relation to played tournaments as a fairer measure than simple number of tournaments won)
and how many world championships have been won by over 40s?

In the modern era only Reardon won the World Champs in his 40s, he was 45 when he won his last World Champs back in 1978. To be classed as the greatest player in his 40s I think Ronnie would definately have to win a World Title then, that is one of the ambitions he has often spoken about recently and I think he could do it, if he won the World Title in his 40s I think that would be one of the greatest achievments of all time given how tough the competition is nowadays, same as when he won it when he took that year out. Nobody else could have taken a year out and win the World Title, so Ronnie too I think has that ambition of winning it in his 40s and that would class him as the greatest.

But not that he has anything else to prove, he's already a true legend, in the eyes of many the greatest of all time so for me anything else he wins from where he was in 2011 to where he is now is a bonus really, Ronnie too sees it that way.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Another update:

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/ro ... 04040.html

A very good read! :hatoff:

It was indeed, gives us more hindsight as to why he didn't perform well in the Shanghai Masters when he was match rusty and lost to McManus, plus it's clear to see Ronnie cares about his physical condition so much, it's kind of an absession because he clearly admits it is, but if it works for him then all the best.

He also seemed very happy with his performance at the CoC, hopefully having a tournament win early in the season will make him feel more relaxed and maybe win a couple more tournaments, would love this UK Champs.

Sometimes players makes excuse to why they under Performed in a tournament.

cant say i remember Selby saying that his Mind was not on the Job of playing snooker with the imminent birth of his first born.

Every player has life issues and why they dont play to their best.

Postby Andre147

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/ro ... 16194.html

Ronnie ahead of his Worlds campaign and why he pulled out of China.

Whether it was his glandular fever again or not, fact is I'm happy he pulled out. Maybe he shouldn't have entered in the first place as he denied a possible place there for Luca, but still....

If Ronnie can be in a good place mentally, I think he has a good chance of winning another World Title, however he must cut on some silly basic errors, work on his positional play and also not let silly distractions get to him. If he works on all that then he has every chance.

Postby gallantrabbit

Ronnie is stil prone to the odd outburst, but in general he is much more mature and measured these days. I wonder if Hearn could get him interested in some other capacity to maintain his interest more. I think his media work has been interesting - stuff like the NR interview. It makes him admit that it´s not all about him.

Postby PoolBoy

Not a Ronny fanboy, Andre147?
Aye, right. Every comment somehow relates to him. It's Ronnie this, Ronnie that...oh, here's a new thread about something he said....
There's more to snooker than O'Sullivan, and he certainly is not the greatest ever. His lack of respect for the game has cost him that accolade.

Postby Andre147

PoolBoy wrote:Not a Ronny fanboy, Andre147?
Aye, right. Every comment somehow relates to him. It's Ronnie this, Ronnie that...oh, here's a new thread about something he said....
There's more to snooker than O'Sullivan, and he certainly is not the greatest ever. His lack of respect for the game has cost him that accolade.

Errrmm.. you do realise this isn't a new thread, instead one that was created last year :wave:

And as for the rest of your comment

pmsl

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

I feel kinda sorry for Ronnie, by the time he's sorted his head out when it comes to playing snooker he really will have to retire.

Postby PoolBoy

Ronnie spotted in the crowd at the World Darts Championship - at the Ally Pally!
Perhaps he's familiarising himself with the venue, ahead of the masters!

Postby Andre147

motorhead wrote:http://www.eurosport.co.uk/snooker/german-masters/2014-2015/ronnie-o-sullivan-return-getting-thumped-a-few-times-might-be-best-thing-for-me_sto5036575/story.shtml

Had a laugh at 'I'm kind of thinking that my regular winning days are probably behind me.'
He's been downplaying his chances in the years to come since a while.

And is he lying? Of course his winning days are behind him now, same with Higgins and MJW. MJW can't win a significant title these days, Higgins and Ronnie are still able to do it but not on a consistent basis like in the past, they are 40 after all.

In Ronnie's case he's more accepting of defeats these days and doesn't really matter if he plays bad or not. He's still good enough to be winning titles, more about motivation than anything else. And I firmly believe he can win that 6th World Title if he's head in the right place and his game comes fully together.

He has nothing left to prove anymore, so if he were to retire for good he's up there as the greatest of all time, not more you can ask from a player really.

Postby Wildey

That where hendry went wrong in his later career he didn't accept poor performances and the pressure was building and Building so in the end he had enough.

Steve Davis accepted he cant play to the standard he once did so was happy to plod along.

Ronnie is good enough to play another 10 years if he accepts he cant do it the way he used to but his talent is such he can still win tournaments.

Postby Prop

That's true, Hendry was relentless and hungry throughout his career all the way to the bitter end when he really couldn't compete any more.

On the other hand, Ronnie's belief and commitment has had ups and downs since day one. If he had the commitment to match Hendry's all the way through his career I'm sure he'd be at six or seven Worlds by now.

I'd never say he'd have definitely been more successful than Hendry; even with all the belief in the world he'd have still had a tough job to match him.

Ronnie is in decline, no doubt about it. And I don't enjoy saying that. But as is always the case with him, he could have some more tricks up his sleeve. I wouldn't bet against him picking up another World title - a few things would have to fall in place for it to happen, but if anyone can grab it when it's there to be had it's him.

Postby Andre147

Prop wrote:That's true, Hendry was relentless and hungry throughout his career all the way to the bitter end when he really couldn't compete any more.

On the other hand, Ronnie's belief and commitment has had ups and downs since day one. If he had the commitment to match Hendry's all the way through his career I'm sure he'd be at six or seven Worlds by now.

I'd never say he'd have definitely been more successful than Hendry; even with all the belief in the world he'd have still had a tough job to match him.

Ronnie is in decline, no doubt about it. And I don't enjoy saying that. But as is always the case with him, he could have some more tricks up his sleeve. I wouldn't bet against him picking up another World title - a few things would have to fall in place for it to happen, but if anyone can grab it when it's there to be had it's him.

Yes good post, pretty much what I think as well.

If Ronnie had been as commited as Hendry was, we would have never known the other side of Ronnie, the "dark side" so to speak, therefore Ronnie wouldn't have been as controversial and certainly wouldn't have attracted as many fans all around the World in the same manner Alex Higgins and Jimmy White did. It's these behaviours on and off the table that made them into the players they are and were.

Ronnie can still win and challenge for titles, just about how much his desire is still there. He has nothing else to prove, but if wins more titles then it's even better for his great legacy.

Postby motorhead

Andre147 wrote:
And is he lying? Of course his winning days are behind him now, same with Higgins and MJW. MJW can't win a significant title these days, Higgins and Ronnie are still able to do it but not on a consistent basis like in the past, they are 40 after all.

In Ronnie's case he's more accepting of defeats these days and doesn't really matter if he plays bad or not. He's still good enough to be winning titles, more about motivation than anything else. And I firmly believe he can win that 6th World Title if he's head in the right place and his game comes fully together.

He has nothing left to prove anymore, so if he were to retire for good he's up there as the greatest of all time, not more you can ask from a player really.

I mean ROS could win ranking titles left and right for years to come and 1 or 2 world championships. Of course the biggest part of his career is behind him.
A qualifier for the German open played in December after he hasn't had a competitive match in ages can't be indicator of what's in the future for him. He's this 'I'm no longer top player' since a while but it's just his character at this point in his life imho. We can't possibly know how much he's going to commit to the game in the future, and that's what is going to make the difference rather than his statements.
Last year pretty much everyone said Higgins was done, turns out he wasn't and played at top level when it mattered.

Postby Pink Ball

PoolBoy wrote:Not a Ronny fanboy, Andre147?

So Ronnie can't be the greatest player of all time because you don't like him?

I LOVE IT!