Post a reply

Day off before the World Final needed?

Postby Tubberlad

After defeating Shaun Murphy 18-9 in last year's World Snooker Final, John Higgins, one of the nicest and most knowledgable of snooker player, advocated a day off prior to the final. And I feel he has a point. This is the biggest match of a player's career, and for many, you only get one chance as good. But at how much of a disadvantage are you if you've had to come through a bruising late night semi-final the day before? I thought I'd have a look at the finals of the last decade. Astrix marks the player who had to play the evening semi-final. When a final is not mentioned, it means the scheduled evening match was won with a session to spare:

2009: John Higgins 18-9 Shaun Murphy*
2008: Ronnie O'Sullivan 18-8 Ali Carter*

2007: John Higgins 18-13 Mark Selby*
This is a big one for me. Selby had to come through a bruising 17-16 match with Shaun Murphy the night before, and fell 12-4 behind the following day. With a day off, he could have won this one.

2006: Graeme Dott* 18-14 Peter Ebdon
Dott managed to win his semi-final early enough against Ronnie O'Sullivan (17-11)
2005: Shaun Murphy 18-16 Matthew Stevens*
2002: Peter Ebdon* 18-17 Stephen Hendry
2001: Ronnie O'Sullivan 18-14 John Higgins*
2000: Mark Williams* 18-16 Matthew Stevens
1999: Stephen Hendry* 18-11 Mark Williams
1998: John Higgins* 18-12 Ken Doherty
Higgins won his semi-final 17-9 against Ronnie, this one doesn't really count

1996: Stephen Hendry 18-12 Peter Ebdon*
Ebdon came through a 16-14 semi-final with O'Sullivan

1995: Stephen Hendry 18-9 Nigel Bond*
1993: Stephen Hendry 18-5 Jimmy White*
1991: John Parrott* 18-11 Jimmy White
Parrott won his semi-final early, 16-10 against Steve Davis
1990: Stephen Hendry* 18-12 Jimmy White
Hendry won his semi-final against John Parrott comfortably, 16-10
1988: Steve Davis 18-11 Terry Griffiths*
1987: Steve Davis* 18-14 Joe Johnson
Davis won his semi-final comfortably, 16-11 against Jimmy White
1986: Joe Johnson 18-12 Steve Davis*

1984: Steve Davis 18-16 Jimmy White*
This is another important one. White fell 12-4 behind in this final, and very nearly won. He had come through a 16-14 match with Kirk Stevens the night before

1983: Steve Davis 18-6 Cliff Thorburn*
Thorburn was jaded for this one. 16-15 against Tony Knowles the night before.

1982: Alex Higgins* 18-15 Ray Reardon
1981: Steve Davis 18-12 Doug Mountjoy*

Right then. That's 13-9 to the player who won their semi-final in the afternoon. The thing is, the most of the winning finalist who came through an evening semi-final won their semi-final COMFORTABLY. Only Alex Higgins in 1982 (after the 16-15 with White), Mark Williams in 2000 (17-15 against John Higgins) and Peter Ebdon in 2002 (17-16 against Matthew Stevens) have really won after a true marathon semi-final.

So, what ought to be done? Many may not like the idea, but I feel the tournament should start on a Friday. On the Saturday, we could perhaps have a best-of-11 thrid place play-off in the evening, or a best-of-11 commemorative match between the finalists of 25 years ago (eg. this year you would have....a Taylor and Davis 85 commemorative match). Either that, or you could just a day free of snooker.

Another thing we could do, is this: On the first day of the semi-finals, have two sessions of one semi, and one of the other, rather than one session each as is currently the situation. This means that the second semi-final will finish in the afternoon, the first one in the morning.

A World Final is too important without going into it jaded and unable to play your best.

Re: Day off before the World Final needed?

Postby Roland

Do you have the stats for the scores at the end of day 1 of each final?

The 2006 one stands out as well because Ebdon was shattered on day 1 and used grinding tactics to get through the day.

Postby Wildey

its part of the sport and was the same for players in the 80s when thorburn was grinding them in to the ground....today thats not a issue...

another point with so little snooker played these days compared to the past john higgins regarding this is talking through his bottom hole.....just get on with it.

Postby Wildey

its the luck of the draw but if people want to blame this on hendry not being 9 times world champion im easy ;)

Postby Tubberlad

As I say, it's the most important match of a player's career, and for many they only get a chance once in a lifetime. There's enough to contend with without tiredness. It should have nothing to with deciding a World Champion.

Postby Bourne

Well, I can understand why this would be desirable, worst case scenario we get a semi-final finishing at gone midnight on the Saturday night, giving him a few hours to recover physically and emotionally. We do always tend to hear from the players who reach the latter stages what a tiring experience the two weeks is, so the choice is do we go with what the players want (maybe a day break) or what the audience wants (snooker on for 17 days non-stop) ...

Postby Bourne

Then again, the Worlds should be the ultimate test, and that should include the ability to last out your opponents. Maybe they have to find a way to get both semis completed 24 hours in advance of the final starting ?

Postby Wildey

i think a break could also work against some players its like starting again in a separate tournament cold.

if a semi final finishes in 3 session as has happened that means some could actually get 2 day break before the final.

Postby Wildey

others played fantastic stuff and feeling fresh ready to go and he ends up going shopping with his wife for a day before the final :huh:

Postby Wildey

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:I doubt if they would break up the last five days of the tournament. It's more likely it would come after the Quarter Finals when the two-table stage is over.

that would be a more logical choice but id prefer no break to be honest.

Postby Casey

A tricky one, it would be fair on the player involved in the second semi final but the World Championship is all about testing form over time.

What about rescheduling the semis so the final session on the Saturday starts in the afternoon?

Postby Eirebilly

I like the idea of a day off before the final but feel then that the semis should both be completed on the friday and that the final should begin early on a sunday.