Group 1 4th and 5th of January
Group 2 6th and 7th of January
Group 3 25th and 26th of January
Group 4 27th and 28th of January
Group 5 22nd and 23rd of February
Group 6 24th and 25th of February
Group 7 29th of Feb and 1st of March
Winners Group 2nd and 3rd of March

9th year of the Championship league first champion back in was Joe Perry and the Current Champion is Stuart Bingham who 2 months after his win here became World Champion so playing here can be very beneficial.

Who will win this year and maybe give them a springboard to greater things?

Group 1 Players

Ronnie O'Sullivan
John Higgins
Barry Hawkins
Ricky Walden
Mark J Williams
Robert Milkins
Ryan Day

DRAW and GROUP TABLE

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Championship League 2016 !!!!

Postby Andre147

Who's gonna be bothered to watch at least a bit of Ronnie tomorrow? <laugh>

I might catch a bit of the action, but obviously not fussed about this at all.

Would be nice if Ronnie knocked in a few tons and get in shape for the Masters. it's paid practice after all.

He plays MJW first match, same opponent for Masters.

Postby SnookerFan

This tournament should be scrapped.

No fans allowed. No TV unless you count streaming through betting websites. It's paid match practice for players, but players who are already moaning that there are too many tournaments in year. The matches are too short to mean anything, and the players get multiple attempts at qualifying.

It's really only in the interest of the booking companies, who want people to turn up and bet for this. And the commentators who get to stay in a nice hotel.

I didn't mind so much back in the days when there were bugger all tournaments, because it at least gave players a bit of extra playing and earning time. No it's purpose is to give more money to betting companies.

Does Hearn just have to do this level of sucking up to them to keep them on as sponsors, or what?

Postby Andre147

Just started watching, 1-1 Ronnie v MJW.

Would be nice if Ronnie managed to knock in a few tons in the event, and get in good shape for Masters. Not much else in this event really as SF says.

Postby SnookerFan

Actually, I've just realised I can officially watch this on the World Snooker website streaming gizmo. I didn't actually know that. (I'm turning into Dennis Taylor.) I thought you could only watch it over bet365, or whoever it was.

So I guess that's something. I could come home and watch a match, should I feel like it. Still not sure whether I will, bit of a noddy tournament after all.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:Just started watching, 1-1 Ronnie v MJW.

Would be nice if Ronnie managed to knock in a few tons in the event, and get in good shape for Masters. Not much else in this event really as SF says.

They still reel in the old commentators for this? Used to be Clive Everton, Foulds or Dave Hendon commentating alone.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Just started watching, 1-1 Ronnie v MJW.

They still reel in the old commentators for this? Used to be Clive Everton, Foulds or Dave Hendon commentating alone.

Everton was on the Higgins match, this other one in the Ronnie match he's been on other previous CL editions, can't remember his name.

Decider Ronnie v MJW meanwhile.

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:This tournament should be scrapped.

No fans allowed. No TV unless you count streaming through betting websites. It's paid match practice for players, but players who are already moaning that there are too many tournaments in year. The matches are too short to mean anything, and the players get multiple attempts at qualifying.

It's really only in the interest of the booking companies, who want people to turn up and bet for this. And the commentators who get to stay in a nice hotel.

I didn't mind so much back in the days when there were bugger all tournaments, because it at least gave players a bit of extra playing and earning time. No it's purpose is to give more money to betting companies.

Does Hearn just have to do this level of sucking up to them to keep them on as sponsors, or what?

To be fair, the championship league was around before Hearn took over snooker.

I don't mind it, tbh, as long as it doesn't block other, better and more important, events from happening in its time slot.

If the choice is to either have this event on at this time or have a blank space in the calendar, I would prefer to have it on. Players can moan all they like about playing too much, but nobody forces them play in these sorts of tournament. Their problem if they can't manage their schedules better.

That said though, if a major sponsor and broadcaster turned up on Hearn's doorstep stating interest in staging a big ranking event at this time of year and Hearn said, "No, can't help you, sorry. Your desired event is going to clash with the CL", that is when I would have a big problem with it.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
Everton was on the Higgins match, this other one in the Ronnie match he's been on other previous CL editions, can't remember his name.

Decider Ronnie v MJW meanwhile.

I'd have thought Everton would bribe somebody to get the Ronnie match. rofl

Postby Andre147

I expect Hendon to say yet again he gets very good desserts from Crondon Park. pmsl

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:
That said though, if a major sponsor and broadcaster turned up on Hearn's doorstep stating interest in staging a big ranking event at this time of year and Hearn said, "No, can't help you, sorry. Your desired event is going to clash with the CL", that is when I would have a big problem with it.

There is a risk element. Because the time this is using up, could be used towards something better. I suspect they are certain contractual obligations toward this competitions.

Obviously, a major sponsor isn't going to just stroll in and announce; "I want a new tournament, and I've got several big channels interested", but it does fill up time in a season playing at Condom Park.

Postby SnookerFan

Though, to be fair to the Championship League, now I know I can watching it without going on a betting stream, I may watch a bit of it. Especially as I do miss the commentary when watching qualifiers.

The last time I watched it, it was over bet365 and there were no tickets being sold. That was several years ago, so I'm probably outdated in my opinion. It's more the inaccessibility to the fans that bothered me the most.

Though the short-arse matches, and umpteen chances each player gets don't help, mind.

Postby Andre147

masterdoctorgenius wrote:3 misses. lost the frame. legend.

Poomjaeng done it, Robbo done it, Carter also did it in some premier league match v Ronnie too.

Postby Andre147

Ronnie not having to play well in any of his 2 matches so far, but signs he's getting in good shape.

Higgins next for him today.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Walden loses the first frame with the 3 miss rule rofl

Ricky treating this as a pissabout.

Well, lets face it. That's exactly what it is. rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Stone me, there's some right knobheads that post on TSF.

I've just been talking to one guy who reckons they should replace Hazel Irvine on the BBC 1 with a 'dolly
bird', because he thinks it'll get more kids watching.

And another guy was saying Jason Mohammad should be the main presenter of the snooker, because he's a man. :roll:

Postby Andy Spark

Andre147 wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:3 misses. lost the frame. legend.

Poomjaeng done it, Robbo done it, Carter also did it in some premier league match v Ronnie too.

I hear Poomjaeng has done it three times! I propose from now on that we use poomjaeng as a term for losing a frame that way. To "poomjaeng" the frame. i.e. "Walden just poomjanged the frame, the silly idiot"