Post a reply

Ronnie O'Sullivan awarded an OBE

Postby Andre147

http://ronnieo147.com/2015/12/30/ronnie-osullivan-obe/

News just came in that Ronnie has been offcially awarded an OBE (Order of the British Empire) for his services to Snooker.

I know Ronnie doesn't care about these sort of things and hasn't asked for them, but despite all his controversies down the years, the good he has done for the Sport is much greater, so I think this is a rigthful decision.

Congrats Ronnie, you deserve it for being one of the greatest of all time. :hatoff:

Re: Ronnie O'Sullivan awarded an OBE

Postby Cloud Strife

Deserves a knighthood really and should also be given the freedom of the country as well, whilst they're at it.

Not that it matters a great deal as these royal garnishments are load of bullocks anyway.

Postby Wildey

Holden Chinaski wrote:I don't give a rubbish about stuff like that, and I don't think Ronnie does either. But congrats anyway Ronnie :hatoff:

some people refuse it.

i wander if Ronnie will be a Rebel or the Establishment?

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:some people refuse it.

i wander if Ronnie will be a Rebel or the Establishment?

Knowing Ronnie, he won't know himself until five minutes before he's due to receive it. rofl

Postby SnookerFan

I aint particularly bothered by this award. Some of the plebs they give it to, it's hard to take seriously.

But I wouldn't be against Ronnie for accepting this award either. If nothing else, it'd be nice for his fans who are upset that Hendry and Davis have letters after their name, but Ronnie doesn't.

Postby Wildey

when you see the people that got a gong based on nothing more than a Ashes series in cricket or a fluke punch in the Olympics etc.

Take Sir Clive Woodward he got Knighted for 1 tournament win.

Ronnie has been at the forefront of his profession for almost 25 years so he well deserved it.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:when you see the people that got a gong based on nothing more than a Ashes series in cricket or a fluke punch in the Olympics etc.

Ronnie has been at the forefront of his profession for almost 25 years so he well deserved it.

I don't really agree with giving knighthoods, or other such honours, to sports people. I think it should be saved for heroes, or people who have made proper contributions to society.

But being that they do give it to people for having success in sport, then you can't argue at all with Ronnie getting it.

Postby Andy Spark

For the first year in a long while Ronnie hasn't won anything, so why offer it to him this year? Maybe it is for services rendered to snooker by staying out of things, thus unable to create any scandal or annoy people too much. :elves:

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:when you see the people that got a gong based on nothing more than a Ashes series in cricket or a fluke punch in the Olympics etc.

Yeah fully agree Wild.

Whilst I too ain't too fussed if he got a recognition like this or not, the fact that he did is well deserved, he's one of the greatest of all time, if not the greatest so he deserves this. The good he has done for the Sport and the millions of fans, including me, who were first brought into Snooker because of this amazing player is just one big example of the huge contribution he has done. :hatoff:

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:

Yeah fully agree Wild.

Whilst I too ain't too fussed if he got a recognition like this or not, the fact that he did is well deserved, he's one of the greatest of all time, if not the greatest so he deserves this. The good he has done for the Sport and the millions of fans, including me, who were first brought into Snooker because of this amazing player is just one big example of the huge contribution he has done. :hatoff:

you are a good example of the good Ronnie has done bringing you to the attention of snooker and then theres Cloud strife and some others best not mention that will go down as a massive failure on the CV of Ronnie.

Postby Holden Chinaski

"A massive failure on the CV of Ronnie." That's such a stupid thing to say Wild. What the hell does Ronnie have to do with what kind of fans he has. Is it Selby's fault he has hammers like you among his fans? ;-)

Postby TheSaviour

This is huge! Even the bad boy of snooker can receive it!

Congratulations Ronald Antonio O'Sullivan :mex:

Postby Wildey

Holden Chinaski wrote:"A massive failure on the CV of Ronnie." That's such a stupid thing to say Wild. What the hell does Ronnie have to do with what kind of fans he has. Is it Selby's fault he has hammers like you among his fans? ;-)

stating facts mate.

yea nothing to do with Ronnie and i have it on good authority that he is embarrassed by some of his fans.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:"A massive failure on the CV of Ronnie." That's such a stupid thing to say Wild. What the hell does Ronnie have to do with what kind of fans he has. Is it Selby's fault he has hammers like you among his fans? ;-)

stating facts mate.

yea nothing to do with Ronnie and i have it on good authority that he is embarrassed by some of his fans.

Of course he's embarrassed by some of his fans. He has thousands more fans than most other snooker players so it's only normal he has some obnoxious fans as well as real snooker fans. But you can't blame Ronnie for that. He has so much fans because he's such a great player.

What I find a bit ridicilous is the obsession you have with Ronnie and his fans, Wild. It seems every chance you get you want to say how ridiculous Ronnie fans are and how ashamed Ronnie should be because of his fans. You act like a little child, Wild. Grow up and act like a grown man. We've heard it all before. It's like you're jealous of Ronnie or something.

Take a football player like Messi for example. He has millions of fans. Some of them will be real football fans who act respectful, and some of them will be idiots. Same with Ronnie. You can't blame Ronnie for being popular. How many loud fans did Alex Higgins and Jimmy White have? It's only normal. I'm sure Ronnie would rather be less popular and have less pressure and less loud fans and expectations, but that's just how it is.

There are some great Ronnie fans out there as well you know. Ray Reardon, Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry and me for example. :-D Even Mark Selby was a Ronnie fan when he was a kid.

If you love the game of snooker, it's impossible not to be a fan of how Ronnie plays snooker. You obviously have some issues Wild, get it sorted. We've heard it all before. "Ronnie's fans are idiots. Ronnie should be ashamed.." Grow up, you jealous baby. Talk about snooker, not about fans. When we talk about Alex Higgins, we talk about the way he played, not about what kind of fans he had. When you talk about Ronnie, talk about his talent. He deserves your respect. All the great snooker players respect Ronnie, so there's no need for him to be ashamed. Stephen Hendry once said the only player he would pay money for to watch him play is Ronnie. That's how special Ronnie's talent is. I bet Ronnie is proud of that. Yet, "real snooker fans" like you seem to only talk about Ronnie's fans and Ronnie's behaviour, instead of the way Ronnie plays. It's ridiculous.

Postby Wildey

i barely named one person that he is embarrassed by ie cloud strife <ok>

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote:i barely named one person that he is embarrassed by ie cloud strife <ok>

It's all bull anyway. I don't think Ronnie or any other snooker player cares what whe think anyway.

As snooker fans we should all just enjoy the snooker and shouldn't criticize other fans like we tend to do. In the end, Ronnie's my favourite player but I respect Selby, Robbo and every other player as well.

I wish you and all the other Islanders a happy new year! :party: Let's hope 2016 will be a good year for snooker.

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:i barely named one person that he is embarrassed by ie cloud strife <ok>

You're obsessed mate.

Talk about the snooker and not the fans. <ok>

Postby Wildey

Holden Chinaski wrote:

It's all bull anyway. I don't think Ronnie or any other snooker player cares what whe think anyway.

As snooker fans we should all just enjoy the snooker and shouldn't criticize other fans like we tend to do. In the end, Ronnie's my favourite player but I respect Selby, Robbo and every other player as well.

I wish you and all the other Islanders a happy new year! :party: Let's hope 2016 will be a good year for snooker.

Happy New year :party: ....

i think its going to be a great run up to the Crucible so many players got a point to prove.