Post a reply

Re: Will Neil Robertson get the three majors this season?

Postby whitespider

Would be very surprised. Always a contender but he's never maintained top top form throughout a whole season. Even this season he was underachieving until the CoC. So I would expect a dip in form at some point. And I would expect at some point Selby, Ronnie, Murphy to hit top form if only for a tournament. And Trump's due a good run also.

So for me - not likely but of course possible.

Postby AC or LT?

Ronnie79 wrote:Not a hope of winning all 3. Anyone giving early Masters Champion and World Champion tips so we can look back in a few months to see who was right or miles out lol.

Genuinely think the only people who can stop Robertson at the minute are the anypotgoes-maniacs like Murphy, Trump and Ronnie. Selby and Higgins have shown that dragging Robbo down with safety play is futile, he's just as good, he needs to be kept off the table through potting alone.

Postby SnookerFan

Dragging him down to safety play? The game is called Snooker, playing snookers is part of that.

Safety play is part of the game, why is that dragging it down? Could I say that Judd Trump drags the game down to potting? Neither phrases would make sense.

Postby AC or LT?

SnookerFan wrote:Dragging him down to safety play? The game is called Snooker, playing snookers is part of that.

Safety play is part of the game, why is that dragging it down? Could I say that Judd Trump drags the game down to potting? Neither phrases would make sense.

It's part of the game, and it's fair enough to play safeties. But there is two type of safety battles - the type that is played in order to create yourself an opportunity to get back at the table and potting some balls (the O'Sullivan, Robertson, Murphy style) and the type played purely to keep your opponent off the table and often wear them down because your potting's not up to scratch (the Selby, Ebdon, Fergal O'Brien style). Neither is bad in itself, but the second one certainly drags a player away from potting.

In terms of Robertson, I wish I had had unlimited access to a snooker club throughout my childhood, the lucky bastard. But fair play to him, he still had to put the hours in.

Postby Andre147

Higgins safety play certainly is not negative, in fact he didn't drag Neil at all, he almost beat him 6-5 for Christ sake... It was only down to Higgins missing 7!!! golden chances to pot a ball in that decider that resulted in him losing.

Postby Ronnie79

Ac just because Robbo won the CofC and the uk does not mean only 3 or 4 players can beat him. Higgins missed a good few chances in that final frame it could have been a different story. Only two weeks ago everyone was saying Higgins was the man to beat and the favourite for the worlds

Postby SnookerFan

Ronnie79 wrote:Ac just because Robbo won the CofC and the uk does not mean only 3 or 4 players can beat him. Higgins missed a good few chances in that final frame it could have been a different story. Only two weeks ago everyone was saying Higgins was the man to beat and the favourite for the worlds

:goodpost:

Postby Andre147

Ronnie79 wrote:AC it looks like yesterday's results proved your theory wrong. Add the mighty Hugill to your list of players capable of beating Robbo lol

His theories about players dominating or falling apart (cough cough Ronnie) are always wrong, so this is just another one. :chuckle:

It's just too damn hard this day and age for one player to fully dominate. Selby had a chance to win all 3 Majors 3 seasons ago, but even then he played very poor at Worlds and truly got found out.

I think Robbo may even go out first round at Masters against Fu, wouldn't surprise me at all.

Postby vodkadiet

Robertson is a very good player but he isn't a Hendry, Higgins, or O'Sullivan.

I would say Higgins/O'Sullivan are favourites for the world title even though they are 40. Speaks volumes for the younger brigade!