Post a reply

Pink Ball's top ten players of all time after UK 2015

Postby Pink Ball

The definitive list

The only condition of this thread is to just post your top ten, and do not challenge anyone on their personal opinion.

1. Stephen Hendry or Ronnie O'Sullivan
2. Stephen Hendry or Ronnie O'Sullivan
3. Steve Davis
4. John Higgins
5. Ray Reardon
6. Mark Williams
7. Alex Higgins
8. Neil Robertson or Ding Junhui
9. Neil Robertson or Ding Junhui
10. Jimmy White
Last edited by Pink Ball on 07 Dec 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Pink Ball's top ten players of all time after UK 2015

Postby Holden Chinaski

You've opened a can of worms, Pinkey. These GOAT threads go one forever.. But I'll bite.

This is how I see it:

1. Ronnie O'Sullivan
2. Stephen Hendry
3. Steve Davis
4. John Higgins
5. Ray Reardon
6. Alex Higgins
7. Mark Williams
8. Jimmy White
9. Paul Hunter
10. Robertson, Selby or Ding (time will tell).

Honorable mentions: Judd Trump, Shaun Murphy, John Spencer, John Parrot, Peter Ebdon, Ken Doherty...

i hate these threads, but somehow I always participate..

Postby Clara8633

Holden Chinaski wrote:This is how I see it:

1. Ronnie O'Sullivan
2. Stephen Hendry
3. Steve Davis
4. John Higgins
5. Ray Reardon
6. Alex Higgins
7. Mark Williams
8. Jimmy White
9. Paul Hunter

Honorable mentions: Judd Trump, Shaun Murphy, John Spencer, John Parrot, Peter Ebdon, Ken Doherty..

I pretty much agree with that list. The only adjustment I'd make is putting Trump in 10. with Robertson, Selby and Ding.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Clara8633 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:This is how I see it:

1. Ronnie O'Sullivan
2. Stephen Hendry
3. Steve Davis
4. John Higgins
5. Ray Reardon
6. Alex Higgins
7. Mark Williams
8. Jimmy White
9. Paul Hunter

Honorable mentions: Judd Trump, Shaun Murphy, John Spencer, John Parrot, Peter Ebdon, Ken Doherty..

I pretty much agree with that list. The only adjustment I'd make is putting Trump in 10. with Robertson, Selby and Ding.

Yes I can agree with that. Time will tell. <ok>

Postby Holden Chinaski

One thing all those GOAT discussions have showed is that pretty much every snooker fan agrees that Ronnie, Hendry, Davis and J. Higgins are the four best players ever. It's hard to see it any other way of course. Every statistic tells you those four are the best. In what order is up for debate...

Postby TheRocket

1. Stephen Hendry
2. Ronnie O'Sullivan (needs one more WC to overtake Hendry)
3. Steve Davis
4. John Higgins (needs one more WC to overtake Davis)
5. Ray Reardon
6. Mark Williams
7. Alex Higgins
8. Jimmy White
9. Neil Robertson
10. Mark Selby

The first four players are by far the greatest players of all time. From the fifth place on, things can change a lot and it probably will in the future even though Reardons position seems to be safe. In my eyes, someone would need to win 3 World titles to overtake him. And I can only see Robertson or Selby winning one more at max, ending at 2. As for Trump and Ding, they'd do well to finally start winning their first titles, otherwise the pressure will destroy them.

Postby Wildey

1 Ronnie O'Sullivan
2 Stephen Hendry
3 John Higgins
4 Steve Davis
5 Mark Williams
6 Neil Robertson
7 Mark Selby
8 Ding Junhui
9 Jimmy White
10 Alex Higgins

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:1. Stephen Hendry
2. Ronnie O'Sullivan (needs one more WC to overtake Hendry)
3. Steve Davis
4. John Higgins (needs one more WC to overtake Davis)
5. Ray Reardon
6. Mark Williams
7. Alex Higgins
8. Jimmy White
9. Neil Robertson
10. Mark Selby

The first four players are by far the greatest players of all time. From the fifth place on, things can change a lot and it probably will in the future even though Reardons position seems to be safe. In my eyes, someone would need to win 3 World titles to overtake him. And I can only see Robertson or Selby winning one more at max, ending at 2. As for Trump and Ding, they'd do well to finally start winning their first titles, otherwise the pressure will destroy them.

I could not agree more with this mate <ok> I ddefinately also think Ronnie needs one more World Title, especially one being in his 40s, to be considered the greatest of all time. With Higgins same thing regarding overtaking Davis.

I would just switch MJW for Reardon in 5th place, and Alex Higgins would come in 6th because of the way he changed the game into defensive for a lot more attacking, and Reardon would then come in 7th place.

But Holden is right as well. whatever analysis we make, Ronnie, Davis, Higgins and Hendry always appear on the Top 4.

Postby PoolBoy

Holden Chinaski wrote:So far I'm the only one who included Paul Hunter... :chin: He was a top ten player for sure.

It's a fair point. Got to wonder how much he'd have won and where he'd have been in the game at the moment, if he hadn't tragically died from cancer.
Just looked-up his age there - he'd still 'only' be 37, so very much competing at the highest level still, I'd imagine....

Postby Wildey

Holden Chinaski wrote:So far I'm the only one who included Paul Hunter... :chin: He was a top ten player for sure.

Paul never reached greatness compared to others his death at such a young age elevated his status in the game.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote:

Paul never reached greatness compared to others his death at such a young age elevated his status in the game.

He won the Masters three times in four years time. He was well on his way to become one of the greats. He became sick when he was obviously in his prime and was going to win many more titles. He was 27 when he dieed FFS and already had three Masters titles. He had lots of talent and bottle. Better than Robbo and Selby in my opinion.

Postby Vallomas

Mine includes players from 1989 till today. A bit unfair for Ray Reardon or Alex Higgins, but I didn't catch them "live", so...

1. Ronnie O'Sullivan
2. Stephen Hendry
3. Steve Davis
4. John Higgins
5. Jimmy White
6. Mark Williams
7. Neil Robertson
8. Paul Hunter
9. Mark Selby
10. John Parrott

Postby Wildey

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Wildey wrote:

He won the Masters three times in four years time. He was well on his way to become one of the greats. He became sick when he was obviously in his prime and was going to win many more titles. He was 27 when he dieed FFS and already had three Masters titles. He had lots of talent and bottle. Better than Robbo and Selby in my opinion.

Mate Selby and Robbo has won More much more.

thats not to say Paul Wouldn't have but facts are he didn't tragically you cant really re right history of how it should have been.

Paul played in only 5 ranking finals winning 3 when he died at 27 even Judd Trump at 26 has played in 9 ranking finals winning 4.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Judd only has one major title. Paul has three. This is a pointless debate, as Paul passed away too soon. But in my opinion, Paul was a brilliant player and would be kicking Selby's, Robbo's and Judd's asses if he was alive now. The bottle Paul showed in winning those Masters titles was class :hatoff:

Anyway, the point of this thread was not criticising other peoples choices so I shouldn't really be talking about this.

Postby Wildey

Holden Chinaski wrote:Judd only has one major title. Paul has three. This is a pointless debate, as Paul passed away too soon. But in my opinion, Paul was a brilliant player and would be kicking Selby's, Robbo's and Judd's asses if he was alive now. The bottle Paul showed in winning those Masters titles was class :hatoff:

Anyway, the point of this thread was not criticising other peoples choices so I shouldn't really be talking about this.

its just would've, could've and should've facts are he didnt.

im not criticizing your choice afterall smart had bloody jogia in his list lol