Post a reply

Re: Happy Birthday Ronnie!

Postby Andre147

Happy Birthday Ronnie!!! :happy: :cracker: :birthday: :happy:

Joins that 40th club, which is still winning titles like Higgins has just shown.

Hopefully Ronnie gets inspired by him like always in the past. <ok>

Postby Andre147

Just seen this on some Snooker website, that made fun of it to celebrate his 40th birthday <laugh>

http://www.livesnooker.com/category/inv ... 1204-0003/

The obvious one missing from that list is that famous 2005 Worlds match against Ebdon. I would also add the 1998 Irish Masters after winning the title 9-3 v Doherty, only to be disqualified and the win handed to his opponent after Ronnie failed a drugs test. That one too wasn't his finest hour.

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:Just seen this on some Snooker website, that made fun of it to celebrate his 40th birthday <laugh>

The obvious one missing from that list is that famous 2005 Worlds match against Ebdon. I would also add the 1998 Irish Masters after winning the title 9-3 v Doherty, only to be disqualified and the win handed to his opponent after Ronnie failed a drugs test. That one too wasn't his finest hour.

You still have a good laugh when watching these antics again, don't you? I surely do. <laugh>
That's what just makes him exciting to watch. This fine line between genius and madness.

I know some people don't like it and they have the right to do so but yeah. That's up to them. Some don't like it, the others call it character.

Postby SnookerFan

Ronnie O'Sullivan plays left handed = Shows the true genius of his snooker skills, and I can't believe there's anybody who is offended by it. The people that are, are hammers. Alain Robidoux is talking rubbish on that occasion.

The wet towel - 2005 UK Championship
= Annoying, but pretty meaningless in the long term. We should've shrugged our shoulders. His concession when there was more than enough points on the table was a bigger crime.

The premature concession against Hendry - 2006 UK Championship = An absolute disgrace, which proves he has no respect for the people who have paid to watch him. He should've been suspended for the rest of the season, considering he didn't want to play anyway. He basically was saying that each and every one of his fans is irrelevant to him.

The expletive press conference - 2008 China Open = I don't care about him swearing particularly. Probably shouldn't do it in a professional environment, but it doesn't make that much difference to me personally. However, he should have publically apologised to the woman he asked to mosh him off. Unprofessional.

Ronnie trying to decide whether to make a 147 or not
= In his defence, I do believe he was trying to make some kind of point. I do think he meant well, irregardless of whether it was the correct course of action. If what Monique said was true, and Jan agreed the routine with him pre-match, I have lost all respect for Jan. A referee has no business letting a player dictate how he should administer the rules. If Jan did that, he should be flat out fired and never referee a professional match again. However, as I only have Monique's word that he did agree to this pre-match, I will take the benefit of the doubt.

Playing in his socks - 2015 World Championship = Who gives a flying buck whether Ronnie plays in his socks? The dress code in snooker is far too formal. And if you care whether Ronnie is wearing socks or not, you should just get a life. And yes, I do mean you BBC commentators.

Warned for obscene gesture - 2015 World Championship = Though I'm not against swearing, as I said earlier. The referee is correct for warning him. As Michaela was with his twiddling off gesture with his cue. The fact that she got complaints from Ronnie fans, who thought she deserved firing for doing her jobs was ridiculous. Anybody who complains just because their favourite player gets warned for making obscene hand gestures should have a word with themselves.

But on saying that, happy birthday Ronnie. <laugh>

Postby Cloud Strife

Do not agree with your interpretation of the 147 and Jan's role in it, but there you go.

Generally, I'm on the same page as you on everything else you've written.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:Do not agree with your interpretation of the 147 and Jan's role in it, but there you go.

Generally, I'm on the same page as you on everything else you've written.

If it was his decision in match, and it wasn't pre-determined, fair enough. I can't prove he was involved. Somebody on here claimed that he was.

Postby Holden Chinaski

2006 world championship: Ronnie gives away his cue to a young fan in the crowd! <ok> :clap:

2007 Masters: Ronnie hugs a crying Ding and tells the crowd to stop shouting at Ding. Ronnie tells Ding he's a great player and he will win many titles. <ok> :clap:

2014: Ronnie gets his own tv show on eurosport where he interviews young and upcoming players as well as established players. He shows us some insights in how to play snooker and promotes the game of snooker to the world like the great ambassador for the game he is. <ok> :hatoff:

His whole life:Ronnie shows respect to Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry and says they were his idols and the true greats of the game. Says he learned everything from watching Davis. Says Hendry was the greatest, despite Hendry being his rival. <ok> :hatoff:

His whole career:Almost never complains about kicks or an unlucky run of the balls. Always congratulates his opponent after a match in a respectful way. Has lots of respect for his main rival John Higgins. <ok> :hatoff:

Postby SnookerFan

You raise some fair points Holden. I always give Ronnie respect for his behaviour towards Ding. The crowd were being pin ends, Ronnie wasn't.

Also, I think there are times when the TV commentators blow stuff Ronnie does out of proportion. See his lack of shoes? He took shoes off, the BBC make out he is worse than Hitler. (Though, the praise him with the same exaggeration, too.)

I don't mind giving Ronnie credit if he behaves in a manor worthy of it. Or if I think he is getting criticised harshly.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:You raise some fair points Holden. I always give Ronnie respect for his behaviour towards Ding. The crowd were being pin ends, Ronnie wasn't.

Also, I think there are times when the TV commentators blow stuff Ronnie does out of proportion. See his lack of shoes? He took shoes off, the BBC make out he is worse than Hitler. (Though, the praise him with the same exaggeration, too.)

I don't mind giving Ronnie credit if he behaves in a manor worthy of it. Or if I think he is getting criticised harshly.

<ok> :hatoff:

Postby whitespider

2 Great and 2 bad Ronnie moments not already mentioned -

The bad -

i) Telling Hendry prior to a World Semi to go back to his "sad little life in Scotland". Then promptly lost the World semi. Should add it was one of the best World Semi's for me.

ii) Headbutting a tournmanet official at the 96 World Champs. Amazing how no-one media wise talks about this much!

The great

i) Uk Championship win in 97 at 17yrs of age. Unbelievable.
ii) Volunteering on a farm for the craic

Postby Dan-cat

Andre147 wrote:Just seen this on some Snooker website, that made fun of it to celebrate his 40th birthday <laugh>

They missed out loads!

Did that Masters title count to Ken Doherty's title tally?!

Postby Andre147

Dan-cat wrote:

They missed out loads!

Did that Masters title count to Ken Doherty's title tally?!

Yes it did, but it wasn't a ranker at the time, just an invitational.

Postby SnookerFan

Ronnie79 wrote:How could ronnie and jan have set up that maxi routine prior to the match how do they know he would get a chance to make one ?

I quote his biggest fan, and friend.

Monique wrote:The 140+7. It was pure theatre. Already in August, Ronnie had told Jan that he would do this if the opportunity presented itself. So Jan knew exactly what was going on from the start and he played along. Everything was theatre there, Jan pretending not to be sure, the "guilt trip". And it was brilliant.

Postby SnookerFan

Maybe I should clarify though, I was harsh in saying I'd lost all resepct for Jan. That was a dumb thing for me to say. He's one of the top referees in the game, I think that goes without saying. He's a top referee, and a top man. I wouldn't wish to imply otherwise.

What I should've said is, I don't believe any referee should agree to go along with something that a player asks pre-match. Even done with the best of intentions, to make a point to world snooker and create theater. It just looks a bit iffy, if a player asks a referee to employ the rules in a certain way beforehand. And I would personally be surprised if Jan did go along with it.

If it was true though, I'd count it as a rare error in judgement, rather than anything else. Jan is of course, a referee of the very highest order.

Postby Andy Spark

On the subject of age, a few years ago when Ronnie was 36, Snooker Scene mag was suggesting that "36 is a dangerous age", in an article of the same name; they were talking about how you were basically old and past it at 36. At this age, they wrote, "the odds are your best is in the past".

Now with Robertson at 33 Hendon is writing that he is "young". So there you have it, your peak years as a snooker player are 34-35.

Postby Cloud Strife

TheRocket wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgxWd0djt5I

Don't know if someone has ever posted this in this forum. If not, I'll do it here. This is just incredible. Total machine.

Damn, I remember that match. Ronnie won it 6-5 with a scrappy decider.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Don't know if someone has ever posted this in this forum. If not, I'll do it here. This is just incredible. Total machine.

One of my favourite snooker videos, I watch it a lot. Absolutely amazing.

Postby TheRocket

Holden Chinaski wrote:

One of my favourite snooker videos, I watch it a lot. Absolutely amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q6hDfCRfB0

This is still the best though mate.

A match which I'll definitely never forget. I mean, seriously. Who else can play like this? Making the snookertable look like a tiny joke-table.

Definitely the best O'Sullivan, I've ever seen, next to the 2005 Masters one. Hendry was just competely demolished.